This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Clover View Post
    Honey, my uncle is a marine, and if he heard that moron trying to use the race card he would have not only pulled his own military history (which took place in 'nam, by the way, so he dealt with a hell of a lot worse than this guy likely did) out, but he probably would have shredded that guy to pieces and made sure that if he was still in the military, he'd get a dishonorable discharge, which would have ensured that that man would never be able to find a job again. Pulling the race card is the lowest of the low, and I hope that bastard rots for it.
    Agreed. Pulling any sort of "you're against me because of who I am" -- unless they can back it up with hard facts, which would be bloody well impossible in this case -- is the behaviour of somebody who's just gotten caught with their hand in the cookie jar and is trying to intimidate the person who caught them. Whether he really is ex-military or an opportunist, he's a jerk and you did the right thing.

Comment

uggg I had the race card and "my husband is in the army" card pulled on me today.....Same person

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
        While this guy was a huge douchewaffle, I wouldn't worry about your job. It's a good thing you called the police, so now they have documentation that this man did in fact park in a handicap parking spot illegally. So even if he says you gave him a ticket "because he's black," the police report can back you up.

Also, I think you made an excellent point - how the HELL were you supposed to guess that he was black based on his vehicle?
        I could say something but I wont.

And if the guy was in the military, he should know better.

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
          We are authorized to write non-moving violations payable to the town police department where the mall is located; this is fire lane and handicap only. They're actual tickets that must be paid in 10 days, or the amount increases X10, which if you refuse to pay you're sent a citation, chose to pay or go to court, etc. I've been to court over a dozen times for people fighting both handicap and fire lane tickets; 80% of the time we win. Many people seem to think the ticket doesn't apply because they're in a parking lot, but these are actual police tickets the town gives us; it saves them time & $ by not having be called a dozen times a day because we need a car ticketed, and cracks-down on the rampant abuse. And we enter our tickets into a database, so if I ticket a car, and type it into the computer, the plate might pop-up and I'll find I ticketed it 3-months ago, or that this is the 3rd time, and I'll make a note of it. See, if it's an accident and they forgot to put their handicap card up, they can catch me to void it, or have the police void it; but the police will only void it once as a courtesy, to encourage people to properly hang their permits. I'm not obligated to get out of the security vehicle and look for your permit under the seat; legally if it can't be seen in the window, you can get a ticket. But some people just keep forgetting to put them up, and that wastes everyone's time. I actually recognize our regulars and know that they are handicap, even if they forget their cards; lucky for them!
          That makes sense. I always wondered how the police were able to enforce the handicap parking fines. I've known in the people who fall for the "I'm in a private parking lot, they can't give me a ticket" myth.

Good to know that your job keeps those scofflaws in line - or at least tries to.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Firstly, you were doing completely the right thing. Saw a vehicle without a handicap permit in a handicap spot, ticketed it.

Secondly, soldiers in all services are trained to be courteous, both to each other and to civilians. If you have his information, report his behaviour to the marine corps: they'll discipline him for you.

Thirdly, you're absolutely right about the race card. There was no way you could have known.

Finally, take a deep breath, let it out, and relax. His anger and rage is a gift of dogshit wrapped up in a gift bag with a bow. Just because he's offering it to you, doesn't mean you have to accept it.
            Refuse it.

Grade his behaviour in your head. Grade his accusations on believability and presentation: maybe 2 out of 10. Grade his claims on believability and presentation: 1 out of 10. Grade his expression, his stompiness, his arm flailing.
            Then decide he's failed that line reading and should apply for a different part. One that suits a 2 year old.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Do what I think I read here sometimes:

When confronted by twatwaffles like this...

Concentrate on writing FUCK YOU on the roof of your mouth with your tongue. It will stop you exploding.
              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                Then decide he's failed that line reading and should apply for a different part. One that suits a 2 year old.
                Now, now, that's insulting to 2-year-olds. I know toddlers better-behaved than him by a long shot.
                "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Speaking as one person to another who has to have confrontations with people as a matter of business, 'f em! When you are right you are right and NEVER BELIEVE OTHERWISE! I fight ahole citizens & ahole authorities with equal zeal! Do NOT give people an inch when they play any self entitlement games of any sort and NEVER reward bad behavior.

All that said I APPLAUD YOUR EFFORT! Coming from a person who has fought these fights for 22 years (professionally) I can't see how anyone could have done a better job! I would want you on my team! Ethics & backbone are rare in this world, and you have them both.

Think you can learn to shoot news?
                  "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

Agreeing with everyone else, you did nothing wrong and were in the right. Just hope that guy doesn't come back to give you any further flak.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                      I've known in the people who fall for the "I'm in a private parking lot, they can't give me a ticket" myth.
                      I always just assumed that either:

a> It being a private parking lot ceases to matter if it can be proven that someone is breaking the law, or

b> The owners of the lots explicitly/in writing requested or allowed the cops onto the grounds for this express purpose.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Thanks for the support everyone. I've thought about it a lot and agree with all of you. I'm a little mad at myself though for kind of losing my temper; I wasn't screaming, but my voice was very raised. I don't think I've ever been that mad ever. It's just, I work hard at being honest, non-judgemental (unless I don't like you ), etc. And this guy just took everything I believe in and threw it in my face. I believe that he needed to be called on his behavior, but I wonder if I could have done it more professionally. But now having experienced the type of person he was, I don't think he would have responded to a quiet, mothering, 'now, why would you say that?' tone.
                        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

i agree with what everyone said; you did your job, he was wrong, abusive and an embarrassment to the services.

her foot hurt. someone call the waaambulance. no wonder they're a couple...of idiots.
                          look! it's ghengis khan!
                          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                            But now having experienced the type of person he was, I don't think he would have responded to a quiet, mothering, 'now, why would you say that?' tone.
                            Some of them do, actually.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

As a veteran myself I find it rather insulting that anyone would use that as a reason to get out of paying a ticket. The UCMJ is considerably more strict than civilian laws, and for the most part make more sense...

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                                Finally, take a deep breath, let it out, and relax. His anger and rage is a gift of dogshit wrapped up in a gift bag with a bow. Just because he's offering it to you, doesn't mean you have to accept it.
                                Refuse it.

Grade his behaviour in your head. Grade his accusations on believability and presentation: maybe 2 out of 10. Grade his claims on believability and presentation: 1 out of 10. Grade his expression, his stompiness, his arm flailing.
                                I <3 this part. You win...your favorite dessert-thingy for...forever.
                                1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                                -----
                                http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Working...
                                X