• Show
Clear All

Quoth dalesys View Post
    Has mental image of a scrote running... like a sack race, soda speak
    *snrk*

.... 'sack race'...

Bwahahaha

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

While I wasn't at my normal job I was sort of working. Helping out the local supporter group with a project. At least until my knee decided it didn't like me.
      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
        Rule #1 warning:
        (Has mental image of a scrote running... like a sack race, soda speak)
        *snicker*

Dear Lord, dalesys.
        Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

I had to work last night since our grocery truck ran late (got there after lunchtime) so I ended up missing my monthly evening out with my aunts.

And, even though we've been getting rain off and on from Tropical Storm Lee, we were busy. Apparently (according to Opie) we started getting busy yesterday right after the doors opened at 7 am and the front end stayed pretty busy ever since.

At least I didn't get called up front to run a register . . . I had to bust my ass to get my truck ran that night so I could go back in this morning to run backstock and scan all the holes.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
            I think most people mistakenly thought we closed early.
            You make it sound like a bad thing ^_^
            Quoth Caractacus_Potts View Post
            Years ago in MA there were blue laws that prevented most businesses from opening on many holidays.
            Ditto in Luuuuuuuuziana. I miss those days, as annoying as it could be to have 90% of the town shut down any give Sunday or Monday (some restaurants still close one of those days just because they can).

For seafood places, in particular, I can understand this, as the normal "fresh-from the river" seafood delivery days at many places here are early on mon/wed/fri mornings....Thus, sunday night seafood (or worse, monday AM seafood if the restaurant or the inhouse seafood guy is less than honest) can be....iffy. As in, "the meat market manager's special at Winn-Dixie" iffy.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              You make it sound like a bad thing ^_^
              Not a bad thing, per se, it just would've been better to have that huge mob of customers spread out throughout the day, rather than all at once. I prefer steady workflow to "feast or famine".
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                Yep, a salute to all those who worked today and I hope you get at least some holidays off during the year! I worked in the newspaper business for 20 years -- motto: What are these things you call holidays?
                You did not have a union, did you?
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Bank was open, as usual. We only close a couple days out of the year.

It was slow, except for the phone calls asking if we were open.
                  There had to be DUMB in the water today. - Summerfly413

Comment

I'm late to the party, but High End Home Store did something nice for us and let all of us CSAs (or at least non-management types) have Labor Day off. I actually had a 2-day weekend! *happy dance*

Most major holidays, except the ones where our client gives us the day off or the call center closes completely (Christmas Day, not sure about any others), we have "shift bids". The available shifts are posted for each skill level. Everyone has the day off by default, but if you sign up to work a shift, you get paid time and a half, PLUS the holiday pay for that shift, assuming it's a day you normally would have worked. If they don't get enough volunteers they have to assign the shifts manually, in order of reverse seniority. I worked a full shift on Memorial Day (which was busier than we thought it would be...grr), 4 hours on Independence Day (which was a total cluster fuck because only 3 furniture-trained CSAs were scheduled during that time period and one called out...for a very legit reason but still) and the other guy and I were slammed. I thought, maybe I'll not volunteer for Labor Day...and then it was given to us anyway!

Now waiting to see what happens on Thanksgiving...last year I was in training for my seasonal first position at the company and they gave us Thanksgiving Day off but we had to come in that Saturday to make up for it.
                    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      You did not have a union, did you?
                      A union would have very little to do with it. The news doesn't take a day off. Many union jobs operate on the holidays--Police, firefighters, hospitals, water treatment, prisons...you get the picture. The most they do is try to get by with skeleton crews so the most posible can take the day off.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                        A union would have very little to do with it. The news doesn't take a day off. Many union jobs operate on the holidays--Police, firefighters, hospitals, water treatment, prisons...you get the picture. The most they do is try to get by with skeleton crews so the most posible can take the day off.
                        Ha... I work at a union store and we were dead in the morning but by the time I got off at 1:30pm we were freaking slammed. I guess people decided the weather wasn't going to be all that great. I know they were wishing they had brought in more cashiers about that time.

I hate it when people come up to you when you're working a holiday and try to express "pity" on you. "awww you have to work on labor day what a shame ha ha ha" What can I say... I make extra money that day and people still need to buy groceries and useless crap. It's not like i had plans other than working anyway.

Comment

Working...
                        X