This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
    it is not only the fly by night operations that do this. a big national trucking company that is HQed in my town used to do that. the "students" would come into town for a 2 week training course (morning was classroom and afternoon/evening was "on the road"). they were universally hated both by delivery drivers and people who drove cars in my town.
    Just curious, but people who work at a certain building supply chain identify their employer on these forums as "<name of colour> apron" (where the name of the colour doesn't rhyme with anything). Does the big national trucking company paint its trucks the same colour? From the description you gave of their students, it sounds like a company that has a bad reputation among truckers for the quality of their drivers.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      He expected the hotel to pay for a wrecker (and for possible damage to the trucks) that would be caused by HIM going into an area that had been marked off as "don't go here"?

The "daisy chains" of trucks are usually brand new trucks being shipped from the factory. I've never done truck delivery, but it's my understanding that (even if one or more of the trucks has a sleeper) it's a "no go" area - the delivery driver is expected to overnight at motels (after all, would you want a brand new truck that someone has slept in the sleeper?). Still, a number of truck stops have motels attached (fairly common for TA) - he should have planned his trip to overnight at such truck stops, where the parking lot can accommodate the "daisy chain", and a motel is available.
      My dad, and most of the truckers working for the company he worked for, actually owned their own rigs (some owning the trailers as well) so they wouldn't be sleeping in or driving in an unfamiliar truck-my dad had a little fridge and everything set up in his rig, I even rode with him once to California. I'm not familiar with the whole 'daisy chain' thing, but my dad hauled fruit and cargo like that in a big trailer, not vehicles.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        Just curious, but people who work at a certain building supply chain identify their employer on these forums as "<name of colour> apron" (where the name of the colour doesn't rhyme with anything). Does the big national trucking company paint its trucks the same colour? From the description you gave of their students, it sounds like a company that has a bad reputation among truckers for the quality of their drivers.
        yup their trucks used to be painted a bright <color name with no rythming>. now their newer trucks are painted different colors.

thank GOD when the economy tanked they stopped training new "drivers"
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Clover View Post
          I'm not familiar with the whole 'daisy chain' thing, ...
          I think "daisy chain" refers to the arrangement shown in the second picture here.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
          X