Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking spineless to a whole new level...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking spineless to a whole new level...

Awhile back I posted about a brief exchange a coworker and I had with an impatient SC, here's a recap:

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post

That sound you hear is blood vessels popping...

I was with a customer and my CW was talking to a lady when this guy came in with a kid. Sometimes video game issues require a bit of explanation so it took a few minutes for the conversation to end. When it finally did, this unfolded...

SC: I was wondering how long you were going to ignore me.
    CW:
    SC: Nevermind, I just need a copy of the new Madden.
    (CW proceeds to pull game)
    SC: (to no one in particular) I'm amazed how rude people are at this store. I hate coming here. I can't believe I got dragged down here tonight.
    CW: That will be $XX.XX
    SC: Credit please.
    (nothing happens)
    SC: CREDIT PLEASE!
    CW: You have to press the credit button, sir.
    SC: *Gives CW a death glare, proceeds to finish transaction*
    SC: (as he's leaving) I am so sick and tired of dealing with these fucking games. This is going to be the last one you get for a long time!
    As it turns out this particular SC went whining to corporate about we had "ignored him" and "mistreated" him and made him feel as though he were "unimportant".

Well of course since all our customers are supposed to be treated like they're the freakin' Pope that just can't be allowed to stand can it?

So corporate caved as usual, which doesn't bother me, but what they gave him does:

A $30 discount on anything he buys.

Usually an SC will get a $15 gift card, but I've never seen a flatout offer of $30 before.

Not to mention that my CW and I did NOTHING wrong because we weren't ignoring him. We greeted him when he came in and were both WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS at the time. It was as if he wanted us to just drop everything we were doing and bow at his feet.

I hope I'm not working the day he comes in to get his discount.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

It's not that they expect to be treated like the Pope. They really expect you to be Zaphod Beeblebrox, the two-headed alien who can talk to two people at the same time and has an improbability drive which can make anything possible, like make sold out games appear out of thin air and allow a PS3 game install on Windows.
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Not to mention that my CW and I did NOTHING wrong because we weren't ignoring him. We greeted him when he came in and were both WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS at the time. It was as if he wanted us to just drop everything we were doing and bow at his feet.

It never ceases to amaze me how a person can believe, at one and the same time, thet a clerk should walk away from one customer to help another, but also that a clerk should never walk away from a customer. If you do not walk away from your current customer to help them, they complain. If you are with them, and talk to another customer, they complain. It just can't work both ways at once. How do their brains not explode?

Also, once again, the SC with a worthless complaint gets goodies tossed at him, where in the few times I have ever had to complain to corporate or to higher managers about anything (and it's only been for infractions way beyond what could be excused in any way, I promise, and I did it nicely), I'm lucky if I get acknowledged at all, or offered more than a 10cents off coupon I don't complain to get stuff, but still, who wouldn't like to have free stuff thrown at them

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
        It's not that they expect to be treated like the Pope. They really expect you to be Zaphod Beeblebrox, the two-headed alien who can talk to two people at the same time and has an improbability drive which can make anything possible, like make sold out games appear out of thin air and allow a PS3 game install on Windows.
        The other head was hipper than the "normal" one...lol.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
          I'm lucky if I get acknowledged at all, or offered more than a 10cents off coupon I don't complain to get stuff, but still, who wouldn't like to have free stuff thrown at them
          Sadly, the squeaky wheel gets the grease in times like these, waaaay too often.

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
          The other head was hipper than the "normal" one...lol.
          Who, Phil? ^_^
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It never ceases to amaze me how a person can believe, at one and the same time, thet a clerk should walk away from one customer to help another, but also that a clerk should never walk away from a customer. If you do not walk away from your current customer to help them, they complain. If you are with them, and talk to another customer, they complain. It just can't work both ways at once. How do their brains not explode?

Also, once again, the SC with a worthless complaint gets goodies tossed at him, where in the few times I have ever had to complain to corporate or to higher managers about anything (and it's only been for infractions way beyond what could be excused in any way, I promise, and I did it nicely), I'm lucky if I get acknowledged at all, or offered more than a 10cents off coupon I don't complain to get stuff, but still, who wouldn't like to have free stuff thrown at them
            That's because these folks...unlike you...know how to play the system.

Comment

Ugh, I fucking hate people like that. It happens ALL the time at work. For us, we're two bosses and me so I often work alone. I'll be tending to a customer helping with a card or a gift selection, they will walk PAST me to the cash just on the other side of the aisle (which I /know/ they're heading there and I try to finish up quickly) and yell "Hello? Is there anyone here?" You just saw me?!?!

I always go slower when that happens

I really hope you're not there when he comes back. It's gonna take a lot of willpower to control yourself.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                That's because these folks...unlike you...know how to play the system.
                I know how to play it too but I refuse to act like a douchebag just to get free stuff.
                "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

<snip>
                  Human beings (especially SCs) are really good at holding multiple contradictory viewpoints without difficulty. We all do it, it's just a matter of whether we're jerks about it or not.
                  Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post
                    ... they will walk PAST me ... and yell "Hello? Is there anyone here?" You just saw me?!?!

I always go slower when that happens
                    I get this almost every time I have to leave my gilded cage. It doesn't matter how well I try and plan my escape, as soon as I've moved away from the serving window to try & attend to something else, a sucktomer will appear and you can tell from their body language and huffing that they've been standing ignored for HOURS, maybe even DAYS... Or if I've got to help someone at one of our automated moneystealers - er, ticket vending machines - I'll have half a dozen people ask "there's no-one at the window, how do I..." Being asked to wait for me to finish is never a vote-winner, but you know that if I was helping them, they wouldn't want me to wander off & help someone else!

One time I was working a particularly busy shift solo when usually there would be two members of staff available, one of which would attend to the TVMs while the other served at the window. Whenever I got shown a pissy attitude, I took grim pleasure in informing them of the death on the line that had prevented my co-worker from arriving, and that I would be happy pass their condolences onto the bereaved.
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Um, I'm gonna go with most of them don't actually HAVE brains? Just some unused damp sponge holding their ears apart.
                      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Um, I'm gonna go with most of them don't actually HAVE brains? Just some unused damp sponge holding their ears apart.
                        I am so gonna remember that!
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Seriously? This SC whines to corporate over nothing and gets $30? Wow.... sad.
                          New England Patirots... FIVE TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!
                          New England Revolution... Will win MLS Cup one day.

Comment

Working...
                          X