This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegetarianism goes Vigilante

An example of OCD in the extreme! This was an email a friend of mine received about one of his restaurants.

Hello,

This happened sometime this past summer. I ordered a veggie burger at your restaurant. Later, as I sat in my vehicle, happily and secretively munching away, it dawned on me that this particular veggie burger tasted different. It was juicier somehow, more flavourful. [ie. he's saying it was BETTER] Only halfway through the meal did I realize it was not a veggie burger, but an actual cow patty inside.

I am a strict vegetarian. i was horrified. This was akin to a violation of my physical being, my soul. I was forced to throw the remainder of the burger out. I went home and had to shower and brush my teeth for over 15 minutes, until my gums bled. since that time I have felt anxious, upset, and suffered flashbacks and nightmares (I am running down an alleyway and a cow is chasing me).

The symptoms have lessened and am feeling better now, and slowly becoming more comfortable with the idea of returning for a veggie burger. But I wanted to communicate my discomfort. I tried going back to the restaurnt for a refund or some sort of compensation, but they refused, indicating I could not prove my story and did not have my receipt or the remnants of the burger.

Some might be prone to thinking this is a joke, but apparently this guy has made numerous inconsequential complaints before that were without much merit. While I don't begrudge him for being upset over getting something that he didn't order, to claim nightmares from the experience and brushing till your gums bled is a sign of something much more broken in you than simply fretting over a wrong order.
    Last edited by Rapscallion; 09-23-2011, 02:16 PM.
    Part Angel Part Sadist

ocd or other mental issue, definitely. i've never heard of meat induced ptsd. methinks he raised his 'steaks' when no one gave his meaty complaint merit.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I was a vegetarian for about 4 years starting when i was 12 (i had to start eating meat since i had no real family support and i was losing a lot of muscle mass)

Anyway, i can tell INSTANTLY by the smell if it is veggie or meat... a real vegetarian should be able to do that without eating half of it.
      There Can Be Only One

Comment

agreed; i'm not vegetarian, but i can tell by the scent for the most part, although some soy products are so insanely close that i don't know or care it's not meat.
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I'm a pretty dedicated carnivore, but I do like me a good veggie burger now and then. Veggie burgers are good. They taste, look, or smell nothing like a slab of something dead, but they're good in their own way.

I'm calling shenanigans on this guy. He'd be able to tell. I'd be able to tell.

Comment

I quite enjoy a veggie burger with bacon. I highly recommend it, both because it tastes great and because it makes people look at you funny

Comment

Quoth WizardStan View Post
              I quite enjoy a veggie burger with bacon. I highly recommend it, both because it tastes great and because it makes people look at you funny
              And if anyone gets up the courage to ask, you can say, with as much sincerity as you can fake, "I promised my Mom I would eat more veggies. This is the only way I can choke them down!"

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                I'm a pretty dedicated carnivore, but I do like me a good veggie burger now and then. Veggie burgers are good. They taste, look, or smell nothing like a slab of something dead, but they're good in their own way.

I'm calling shenanigans on this guy. He'd be able to tell. I'd be able to tell.
                But, but....the veggies died, too! Haven't you ever heard the carrots scream?
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Better them to die in a processor than to have their juices sucked out by a vampiric bunny.
                  "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Quoth Bloodsoul View Post
                    Better them to die in a processor than to have their juices sucked out by a vampiric bunny.
                    The celery stalks at midnight!
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Bloodsoul View Post
                      o_O Bunnicula? He lives?!
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Yeah, I recently finished a month of near veganism (I'm sorry, I cannot live without yoghurt!!!!), and there is not a single soy product out there that can accurately mimic beef. Chicken maybe, beef no. I call shenanigans. Why rush out of the restaurant? Why not call someone over right there and then and throw your tantrum? Why not take pictures of the offending meal (almost every cellphone has cameras). Etc etc etc
                        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

My girlfriend is a rather... dedicated vegetarian. She can easily tell when I've just had a meal with meat in it and has no problem smelling the remains even several hours later. Hard to imagine that the SC would miss something so obvious as a big slab of beef while he's eating it.
                          Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

I think the guy's a nut, sure. But it is possible if your mind is elsewhere to eat stuff and not pay attention to in until halfway through. My husband is Celiac, and he's eaten half an enchilada before realizing it was in a flour tortilla instead of corn.

My favorite though ... a co-worker of his that he was close to was leaving the company. He was upset about it because the guy was not leaving under the best of circumstances. At the going away lunch he ate an entire piece of (regular gluten-y) cake without realizing it.

And he doesn't even like cake.

Comment

I accidently ate ground beef about six months ago. Well, I took a bite, didn't notice by taste but by sight, and spit it out. (I ordered the wrong burrito--I do get confused because I so rarely eat out). If I hadn't looked at the contents, I wouldn't have noticed right away. But then, this was a burrito with lots of mixed-up ingredients. I was annoyed at myself 'cause now I had no lunch and was running late for work, but I didn't have nightmares.
                              Last edited by Food Lady; 09-20-2011, 05:36 PM.
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                              X