This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really, Guys? Really?

So I have a new job at a local arcade! Love it, love the coworkers, love being able to sit down (that doesn't sound like much, but when it was never offered at most of my previous jobs...), love the hours, love most of the customers...

Well, it wouldn't be going in the Sucky Customers section if I loved all of them, now would it?

I'm sure they mean well, but some of my customers make me wonder about the quality of our educational system. <<;

They can't count...

More times than I'd like, I've had kids come up to the redemption counter either asking me basic math questions concerning their tickets ('is 5000 more than 1000?') or trying to get items they don't have enough tickets for (often by quite a large margin). I don't mean little kids, either; that would be understandable. I mean kids who should be old enough to understand how numbers work.

They can't read...

When will people start reading the labels right above each game's coin slots that read '# TOKENS'? Not a week goes by without me getting at least one complaint about a 'broken' machine that ate their money, only to find that a) they tried to use actual money, the machine rejected it, and they didn't bother looking in the coin return, or b) they (or one of the previous customers) tried to use actual money, it got jammed up in the machine, and now a dozen or so coins are packed in and above the coinmech. It's six letters and a number right above your hand when you try to put the coins in, what is so difficult?

They have no observational skills...

There are basically two ways to approach the redemption counter at this arcade, under the current set-up. One of them takes you right past the ticket counting machine. Explain to me how you managed to miss the large purple box with 'PLAYERS TICKET STATION' written on it in huge yellow letters? Especially since half the time, you also pass by some other person putting tickets into the box?

For that matter, if a game is taped up, not lit up, or obviously not even assembled, then no, you can't play it right now. Also, if it doesn't have a ticket slot, it's not going to give you tickets, no matter how many points you managed to get.

They can't follow directions...

Seriously. It's written right above the slots in question, in (again) yellow letters on a purple background: 'insert tickets here' and 'take receipt here'. So why, in the name of angora caterpillars, do we get grown men and women trying to do the exact opposite when they reach the ticket station? This is especially bad now that one side is malfunctioning; they see the 'insert tickets' slot taped up and try to put the tickets into the slot where the receipt comes out.

...or understand context clues...

Pop quiz! You're playing a game. This game involves pushing a button to make a ball drop from the top of the machine, after which it will land (or more likely eventually settle) into one of a number of holes on a rotating plate. Most of these holes have corresponding ticket prizes, but your ball ended up in a hole labeled 'add bonus ball'. When it did so, the number on the sign labeled 'bonus balls' went up by one, but no extra balls fell and you didn't get any tickets. Do you:

A) notice the sign and the other hole your ball didn't land in, labeled 'drop bonus balls', and come to the conclusion that the machine did exactly what it was supposed to do - namely, add one to the number of bonus balls that will be dropped when 'drop bonus balls' is hit;

B) notice the sign and other hole and politely ask the arcade worker what 'add bonus ball' means;

C) fail to notice both the sign and the other hole, and complain to the arcade worker that the machine didn't drop your bonus balls;

D) fail to notice anything, and complain to the arcade worker that you didn't get any tickets from that machine over there?

Time's up! If you answered C or D, then like too many of the people who play that game, you fail. See me after class.

(Oddly enough, I've never had anyone do B.)

Raw Thrills...

...has some of the worst coinmech holders I've seen in my admittedly-short arcade career. Guitar Hero Arcade is the worst, though; pretty much every single day, I get at least one person whose tokens have gotten trapped between the holder and the top of the mech (or worse, have fallen out completely and are sitting on top of the box they're supposed to fall into) because there's an enormous gap between the two that shouldn't be there. And that's on slow days.

I feel sorry for those customers.

Shadows of things to come... (or, Unfortunate Name)

(This is as best as I can remember the conversation. It's probably not entirely accurate, but hopefully the general idea still comes across. Also, not sucky, but I might as well end the post with something funny for all involved, right?)

Manager: 'So we should be getting a phone installed soon. I'm going to ask the owners not to put us in the Entertainment section of the phone book like <old arcade>'s owners did.'

Me: 'Oh?'

Visiting Ex-Employee: 'Ha, I remember all the calls we got because of that, asking if we were a strip club!'

Me: 'Oh. Man, I hope they don't do that, then. Can you imagine what it'll look like if they put the arcade in the Entertainment section, with the name 'Players'?'
    Last edited by Apocalypse Cookie; 09-27-2011, 06:02 AM. Reason: Grammar error.

I'm glad you like the arcade and I hope it stays good for a long time to come I have to say, though, it's probably a good thing that arcades of that nature are relatively rare now compared to the last couple of decades...just for the reasons you mentioned. (This from a child/teen of the early 80s who was at the local arcade practically every day... )
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

I hope it stays good, too! Fortunately, the SC's are actually pretty rare; whether that's because people around here are just that awesome or because we're new and still gaining a customer base is hard to say right now (hoping it's the former, obviously). And of the stuff mentioned above, it's incredibly rare for a customer to have a problem with more than one or two.

That said, we'll see what happens when the phone is installed.

Comment

Quoth Apocalypse Cookie View Post
        Manager: 'So we should be getting a phone installed soon. I'm going to ask the owners not to put us in the Entertainment section of the phone book like <old arcade>'s owners did.'
        Phone rings: "Excuse me, I need to do the telefellatio."
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Ah, the good old fashioned arcade. Where videogames means actually getting out of the house to do something. I only ever had one bad experience in an arcade involving a suspicious attendant when I was ten, but otherwise it's one of the few things from the last century that seem to be going strong now.

Although I do miss games that only cost a quarter. You have to go to the laundromat to find one of those anymore.

Not to be immature, but:

and complain to the arcade worker that the machine didn't drop your bonus balls
          There are so many ways to take this out of context...

Comment

I want your job now.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Another arcade worker! hello!!

and I feel your pain in every single one of your observations! and I know exactly which game you mean with the ball dropping one...there are two of those in my store....twice the headache

Comment

Yeah, that's awesome! That was always a dream of mine to own my own arcade with loads of pinball machines and video games from the 80's and 90's. Then again, with all the dumb questions and unsuspecting customers, I may let go of that dream...

Let us know how it goes. I'm curious to know if you'll ever reach the point where it gets boring to be there as a worker (But I sure hope it never does get boring).

Comment

When I became a Game Tech at a brand-new arcade my Senior year in high school I felt I had attained Geek Job Nirvana. It paid less than the Burger King next door, but was about ten times as fun.

Other than SC's ranting about wanting cash back for tokens, it wasn't too bad.

Since we were a new place, we didn't have too many coin mech issues.

The bane of my existence were the machines that came from the UK; they were universally poorly designed with expensive parts that failed often. A close second was a co-worker that kept not understanding that they way to fix a 5A fuse that keeps blowing is NOT to replace it with a 7.5A fuse. (It was a basketball game where people would feed in balls from another game that were too big; the large (and higher-pressure) ball would jam the gate and cause the solonoid fuse to blow.)

Comment

Raw Thrills...

...has some of the worst coinmech holders I've seen in my admittedly-short arcade career. Guitar Hero Arcade is the worst, though; pretty much every single day, I get at least one person whose tokens have gotten trapped between the holder and the top of the mech (or worse, have fallen out completely and are sitting on top of the box they're supposed to fall into) because there's an enormous gap between the two that shouldn't be there. And that's on slow days.
                    From back in my arcade days, I know we had some machines that we "creatively re-engineered" with cardboard to fix (or at least minimize) bad coin drops. When you have a moment, maybe before or after hours, pop open the coin mech and observe where the issue is happening and why. With just a little tweaking, you should be able to make things better with a bit of cardboard and tape.

A side story

On jammed machines: My record was finding a coin mech that had $12.75 in quarters jammed in it. This was a fifty cent per play game, and it took that long for someone to come ask me about it. -.-
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I wish we had a Dave and Busters here.. Hell, I wish we had an arcade here period. I used to frequent one where I used to live and always had a ball..
                      http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

That's one great thing about living where I do. There's a boardwalk that has FOUR arcades on it. My husband and I go there, scope out the prizes at the northernmost one, and work our way south. If we don't see anything we like, we'll play the games unique to that arcade, cash out for a receipt, and move on. (All four arcades let you stockpile receipts for a major prize.) Our favorite prizes are dragon statues, but most of the arcades haven't carried them this year.
                        It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Now that I'm done cursing at my computer for a little while...

Quoth dalesys
                          Phone rings: "Excuse me, I need to do the telefellatio."
                          Well now, they don't pay me quite enough for that...

Quoth NateTheChops
                          Although I do miss games that only cost a quarter. You have to go to the laundromat to find one of those anymore.
                          Actually, almost all of our ticket games are one token (the exceptions being Deal or No Deal and one other game). On the other hand...almost all of our non-ticket games are a dollar, so yeah.

Quoth NateTheChops
                          Not to be immature, but:

and complain to the arcade worker that the machine didn't drop your bonus balls
                          There are so many ways to take this out of context...
                          And I am continually surprised that none of our customers have done so around me.

Quoth fireheart
                          I want your job now.
                          I know, I was so lucky to snatch up the last opening.

Quoth camyoung11
                          Another arcade worker! hello!!
                          Hi! Nice to meet you!

Quoth camyoung11
                          and I feel your pain in every single one of your observations! and I know exactly which game you mean with the ball dropping one...there are two of those in my store....twice the headache
                          So long as there's a way to misinterpret a prize, people will do so, am I right?

Quoth emax4
                          Yeah, that's awesome! That was always a dream of mine to own my own arcade with loads of pinball machines and video games from the 80's and 90's. Then again, with all the dumb questions and unsuspecting customers, I may let go of that dream...
                          Oh no! Don't give up on that, it sounds awesome!

Quoth emax4
                          Let us know how it goes. I'm curious to know if you'll ever reach the point where it gets boring to be there as a worker (But I sure hope it never does get boring).
                          I will be sure to let you know, but I don't really see it happening. Always something new going on, and despite my complaints in the original post, most of the customers are really nice/cool.

Quoth Geek King
                          From back in my arcade days, I know we had some machines that we "creatively re-engineered" with cardboard to fix (or at least minimize) bad coin drops. When you have a moment, maybe before or after hours, pop open the coin mech and observe where the issue is happening and why. With just a little tweaking, you should be able to make things better with a bit of cardboard and tape.
                          Now that's an idea! I'll bring it up with the manager when I see her.

Quoth LadyAndreca
                          Our favorite prizes are dragon statues, but most of the arcades haven't carried them this year.
                          You mean those ceramic dragon statues, or some other kind?

Comment

So long as there's a way to misinterpret a prize anything, people will do so, am I right?
                            Edited for truth and my own amusement...yes, you are right
                            "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

You mean those ceramic dragon statues, or some other kind?
                              They're all painted resin, except one that's spun glass.
                              It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Working...
                              X