Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How dare you even consider charging us for this!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
    I'm also assuming the SC would have to pay for repair if she didn't buy from you.
    Well no, the repair would be free because it falls under warranty
    the backup is what's going to cost her.

and omg yes, data recovery... where I am the techs will check to see if they can access the drive if they have time (they don't really charge for that) but... if they can't access it the fee to send it off starts at 250 - nonrefundable.

most people don't want to spend that much on their pictures and mp3s.

and personally, my most important files are in fact saved on more than one hdd.
    my music for example... i think the old hdd started to die so i upgraded to a new one (bigger too, and firewire) but i kept the old one. it still works actually so i'm keeping that as insurance. and i think i may have the music stored elsewhere as well. can't be too safe when it comes to over 60G of music, most of which I don't have the physical cds to at the moment..

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
      I recommend people to use Dropbox for smaller, important files. Saying it is one thing, but having people back up their stuff on a regular basis doesn't always happen though. I'm guilty of that myself.
      Isn't dropbox wonderful? I discovered it, and got my EVEOnline corp to get it as well, we share spreadsheets and job orders [we build cap ships and supercaps] It is way better than google docs for that, you can actually download and manipulate spreadsheets and upload them again.

I think it is fantastic, I keep my photos there, and my ebook collection.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I've tried to back up my HP laptop, but the backup program doesn't work. It crashed out a couple of months ago, but the recovery program then ran a backup, and after the restore, the backup worked beautifully.

Then last month the touchpad quit working, and an external mouse wouldn't work either. Sent it in, and when it came back, the repairs involved multiple circuit boards.

I just bought it last December. The company is pushing me to get an extended warranty. So, are the laptops just crap (I've seen a lot of complaints on various sites) or are they making sure they fail to scare people into buying an extended warranty?

Whatever happens, this will be my first and last HP.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

What if two people download the same spreadsheet, work on it, then both upload it again? Does the work one person did get overwritten by the second one to re-upload?

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
            Whatever happens, this will be my first and last HP.
            Even if you changed your mind on that, you might not get a choice... http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/18/tech...noff/index.htm
            "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              What if two people download the same spreadsheet, work on it, then both upload it again? Does the work one person did get overwritten by the second one to re-upload?

^-.-^
              oo that could be an issue i guess.
              hopefully people save them under new names.

if it's anything like the FTP server i used at college you could overwrite the wrong documents if you're not careful

Comment

Quoth lineswine View Post
                The 3 laws of data security?
                Back up, back up & back up!
                This was the mantra of my favorite gaming character of all time, who was the team's computer whiz.

I used to drive the GM crazy; he could never take away computer data from her because she always backed it up (it was a Quirk) 3 times.

I don't back up three times in real life, but I do back up frequently (love Time Machine), and often make new backups on CD rather than add to existing back ups so I usually have multiple copies of everything.

Now I just need to organize it all . . . .

^-.-^
                Typically, yes. The two workers should merge their work before uploading.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

It also is dependent on the original worksheet, they can be set up so that only certain people can make changes, what changes those people can make, etc. So that means that two people could work on one sheet..have different things they are 'allowed' to change, and upload it perfectly ok.
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
                    Even if you changed your mind on that, you might not get a choice... http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/18/tech...noff/index.htm
                    The moment they named Meg Whitman to be CEO, I knew they were looking for a chance to bail with their golden parachutes.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

^-.-^
                      A well-designed system will use some form of RCS/VCS. Two (or more) people can readily download the spreadsheet in order to use it, but to make changes to it you need to sign it out (otherwise it will reject the upload of the changed file). If one person has signed it out already, it won't let the second person sign it out until it gets signed back in, and the second person, on finding that their signout was rejected because the file was already signed out, should realize that they need to make their changes to the copy that they (eventually) sign out, rather than signing in the copy they had worked on initially, because that copy lacks the changes the other person was making.

Of course, this takes money and effort to set up in the first place, so beancounters reject IT's request for "wasteful toys".
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I guess she doesn't know know and understand that time IS money.
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

If you want to go to the EXTREME backup, you can burn information on DVDs or CDs, or even store them on an older hard drive. From there you can open up a safety deposit box at your bank and store it there. I've heard of musicians doing this with some music files (I was considering this with data files for my compositions instead of putting it on tape), and although it is extreme, it makes sense.

Comment

^-.-^
                            At least Dropbox saves them under different file names:

If two people both open and edit a file in a shared folder at the same time, Dropbox will save both of their changes, but in separate files. It does not try to automatically combine or merge changes.
                            Which is good, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                            X