This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monopoly Madness

As some of you know, around this time of year McDs does the Monopoly game, which gives legions of stupid customers the thought that they might win a million dollars.
    This madness ended a week ago, so I thought it fit to complain about the crap it brings out in people.
    First of all, people seem to think game pieces come on WHATEVER they order. I had SO many complaints to take in, because people can't read. For example:
    *ring ring*
    Me: Hello, McDonalds.
    SC: Yes, I just wanted to complain that none of my food came with game pieces like it is supposed to.
    Me: Well, that is odd, what did you order.
    SC: Two kids meals and a grilled club.
    Me: Ok, well none of what you have listed comes with game pieces.
    SC: I want my order replaced with stuff that has game pieces as it is supposed to!
    Me: Unfortunately, I cannot do that as the items you have ordered do not come with game pieces, so I cannot just give them out.
    SC: rant, rant, rant *hang up*

Or there was this lady:
    SC: My QPC didn't have game pieces. Are you out of them too? *snotty tone*
    Me: No, the QPC never came with game pieces.
    SC: I got one LAST WEEK at THIS location that had game pieces.
    Me: I'm sorry, ma'am, the QPC never came with game pieces. We've never had that in stock.

2. People seem to think that no purchase necessary means that I can hand them as many pieces as they want. I've seriously had people say they want a big mac and "around 50 game pieces" and not understand that I can't hand that out. They ALWAYS get cat butt face and whine "But it saysssss no purchase necessary!!!!" Well, yeah, but that means you get to write the company a letter and they will send you 2 free pieces per letter. I hate you. Go away.

3. As we run out of stuff we put sold out signs next to the items we no longer have. We still have the item, obviously, but it won't come with game pieces anymore. NO ONE reads this and then they get pissed off that their item didn't have game pieces.

4. People don't understand how to win. I am constantly getting morons coming up to me saying they won one of the grand prizes and asking how to redeem it. When I look at the pieces they are showing me, low and behold, not a winner. I then have to crush their dreams.

5. People win the food prizes quite often (that's what the 1 in 4 is a winner refers to), but then can't comprehend how to redeem these prizes. I've had people come up in the middle of the afternoon and want to redeem a 'free any breakfast sandwich' piece because they just won it. I also get people that win a free QPC and want to substitute their favorite sandwich. My very favorite though is the people that can't read on their any breakfast sandwich that it excludes mcmuffins. They always want a mcmuffin, because the mcmuffins have pieces on them, which is exactly why they are excluded on the coupon. They can literally have the most expensive sandwich on the menu for free with this coupon, but they are going to yell and scream because they can't have the sandwich that comes with more game pieces.

Quoth notlovinit View Post
    They can literally have the most expensive sandwich on the menu for free with this coupon, but they are going to yell and scream because they can't have the sandwich that comes with more game pieces.
    That's like the rule from the genie in the bottle. You get three wishes, but cannot wish for more wishes.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Ouch, that's gotta suck. The first thing I do when monopoly season starts is figure out which items come with game pieces and I order only those as much as possible. (October accounts for 80% of my mickyd's annual buying, lol).

I got sad when places started running out of the pieces ;_; Tho I ordered so much iced coffee over the summer ($1 w00t!) that they would just give me a cup with the pieces on to replace whatever didn't have it. Not sure if that's common practice, but I thought it was pretty awesome.

#4 is dumb. I know each piece says the grand prize, but how do they not read the game board?! Or even know the concept of the event? Bleah.

Here, for the breakfast stuff, only the mcbiscuit had the pieces (and oatmeal, but ... it's oatmeal). And coffee

Comment

I know at my local McD's they'll let you redeem free item pieces for game piece menu items, but they let the staff know it's a promo so it'll go in the standard packaging. (Rather than a Monopoly Big Mac box you'll get a regular one)

Comment

I was waiting for someone talk about the Monopoly contest. I bet there are tons of people who get Park Place and think they've already won a million dollars, only to be shot down.
          Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
          Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
          Fiancee: What?!
          Me: Nevermind.

Comment

I think I only went to McD's once during the Monopoly game, and ended up handing my pieces to somebody else in line, as I don't play.

However, I went again last week and wanted the action figure of the kitty with the plumed hat and the sword ... and they were out! Guess I'll have to try another store this week ...
            Last edited by Pixilated; 11-02-2011, 10:53 PM.

Comment

I got sad when places started running out of the pieces ;_; Tho I ordered so much iced coffee over the summer ($1 w00t!) that they would just give me a cup with the pieces on to replace whatever didn't have it. Not sure if that's common practice, but I thought it was pretty awesome.

#4 is dumb. I know each piece says the grand prize, but how do they not read the game board?! Or even know the concept of the event? Bleah.
              We would sometimes give out hash brown wrappers to people when we are out of pieces on other things, but then the problem with that is that we run out of the hash brown wrappers. We avoid giving out the cups, because then people seem to think "Hey! Free drink!"

As for #4, you would be surprised. I get all kinds of variations. I get people that come in with say three yellow pieces, but they are all the same piece and think they won. I even got one guy that had one of each color on the board and he thought that's how you win.

I know at my local McD's they'll let you redeem free item pieces for game piece menu items, but they let the staff know it's a promo so it'll go in the standard packaging. (Rather than a Monopoly Big Mac box you'll get a regular one)
              That's nice of them. We aren't able to accommodate that with our limited space, that would mean going back to the stock room every time to get different packaging. That would slow down times dramatically. We've just made it a rule that they have to get what the coupon is for, period. It's free - no complaints. Also, I have seen many people scam us in order to get more pieces and I can just see the SCs leaving with the food and coming back with the wrapper and going to another cashier and saying they bought it, but didn't get a piece.

I was waiting for someone talk about the Monopoly contest. I bet there are tons of people who get Park Place and think they've already won a million dollars, only to be shot down.
              It makes me wonder how many people send in their pieces to the redemption center thinking they have won, only to be shot down. I almost feel sorry for corporate on this.

However, I went again last week and wanted the action figure of the kitty with the plumed hat and the sword ... and they were out! Guess I'll have to try another store this week ...
              If you ever get a toy you don't want, keep it in the packaging and you can trade it whenever. Even if it's 5 years from now. We always trade out the toys as long as they are in the wrapper.

Comment

Some "I don't know how to use these computer things" lady brought a STACK of McD Monopoly game pieces to my library and tried to demand that my coworker type each number into "the computer" for her to see if she'd won anything. My co-worker reluctantly (the look on her face was priceless) brought up the website and was quite pleased (while hiding it moderately well) to determine that you had to register, so she couldn't help out this lady. The EW still wanted her to do it and they had a little "..." "..." "..." contest before the EW caved and said her daughter in law could probably do it for her.

Then the EW wanted to be all friendly and chat for 5 minutes when I could see my coworker just wanted her to LEAVE!! Really, her demanding EWish attitude was remarkable. CW and I were very pleased that she didn't get what she wanted.

Comment

I won some Coke points with the online game, a couple of Snapfish codes (can I offer them here? I'm never going to use them), and a couple of free medium fry pieces. I have no idea where the last two went.
                  Last edited by fma_fanatic; 11-03-2011, 03:05 AM. Reason: Snapfish, not Shutterfly
                  Random conversation:
                  Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                  DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

We would sometimes give out hash brown wrappers to people when we are out of pieces on other things, but then the problem with that is that we run out of the hash brown wrappers. We avoid giving out the cups, because then people seem to think "Hey! Free drink!"

As for #4, you would be surprised. I get all kinds of variations. I get people that come in with say three yellow pieces, but they are all the same piece and think they won. I even got one guy that had one of each color on the board and he thought that's how you win.

Our hash browns didn't have codes! Lucky XD For us, the only items that weren't sandwiches that had codes were the coffee and drink cups so I think they had no choice. And yeah, I can imagine people trying to get free drinks out of it.

One of each color? Wow. That's an impressive amount of stupidity.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                      I won some Coke points with the online game, a couple of Snapfish codes (can I offer them here? I'm never going to use them), and a couple of free medium fry pieces. I have no idea where the last two went.
                      If you're allowed to, I'm pretty much jump you, lol. However, to be honest, I've already won 60 free prints so there'll probably be someone else who needs it more.

Just so you know, at least for us Canadians, the snapfish codes included free shipping so if you're into printing photos (like me, total dork), that's pretty awesome.

Comment

Slayer - it's probably different items offered in Canada then we have in the US. Maybe even different items for different states, I don't know.
                        For us, we had:
                        Breakfast - sausage egg mcmuffin and egg mcmuffin, and hash browns.
                        Lunch - big mac, 10 pc nugget, filet o fish, large fry.
                        All the time - med. and large clear cups (so smoothies, iced coffee, etc.), oatmeal, and med. soda cups.

Comment

Slayer - it's probably different items offered in Canada then we have in the US. Maybe even different items for different states, I don't know.
                          For us, we had:
                          Breakfast - sausage egg mcmuffin and egg mcmuffin, and hash browns.
                          Lunch - big mac, 10 pc nugget, filet o fish, large fry.
                          All the time - med. and large clear cups (so smoothies, iced coffee, etc.), oatmeal, and med. soda cups.
                          *nods* It's definitely different. I looked up the items earlier and was sad that the US had more options XD But, what else is new? haha

Canada was:
                          Breakfast: mcbisket and oatmeal
                          Lunch: big mac, angus, nuggets 10/20 and large fry
                          all time: hot coffee and soda drinks, medium & large

Comment

That's so strange. Except for the oatmeal (we didnt have last year) those are the exact items we had the pieces on last year plus hash browns. Maybe what we have this year will be what you have next year?

Comment

I don't even work at McDonald's and the Monopoly game annoys me for some reason. Maybe because it just SEEMS like it's going on every other week Sure, winning free food is great, I don't think I've ever won anything else though, and a lot of the items I buy don't come with game pieces. Meh.
                              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X