X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But she's only 19!

One of those life lessons to the SC

Although in this it would be SCM for Sucky Customers Mom

BG: I was in a department that handlled escalated calls that needed to go to a supervisor. Although not officially a supe myself, I was authorized to identify myself as one and actually had a good amount of leeway to get matters handled.

And it when something like this....

Me: This is Redbeard, I'm told that you need a supervisor?
    SCM: Yes, this is regards to the account of SC, I'm her mother and listed on the account.
    Me: Yes, I see you there ma'am, I'm showing that the account was set up in June with a 2 year contract and then cancelled in September.
    SCM: She was charged some sort of fee for cancelling her service, she was not aware that she was in a contract so you need to waive the fee.
    I agree to review the call and call her back to see if that was the case.
    As I'm listening, lo and behold! she was given full disclosure on the contract, the services and the cancellation fee. So, I call back SCM and explain this, as well as explaining where we have the verbal acceptance of the contract both with the agent that set it up and through an automated acceptance line.

SCM: I don't care. She's only 19 so refund the charges.
    Me: I'm sorry ma'am but the fees and penalties were clearly explaned..
    SCM (Cuting me off): I.DON'T.CARE. she's only 19, she's far too young to understand these things!
    Me: Sorry to hear that you din't think that sh'e able to understand contracts, but she agreed to one, she knew the penalties. It will be paid or the account will go to collections and her credit will be reflected negatively. Anything else I can help you with today?
    SCM: fine! I'm telling all of my friends and family about you!
    Me: Be sure to tell them that we honor our contracts. Have a nice day.

I checked the account a bit later. Oddly enough, it was paid in full

It was paid because mommy KNEW that her daughter was told of the fees but she wanted to bully you into waiving it anyway.
    Glad she didn't get away with it!
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

She was only *****teen and she knew how to nasty.

--- The Mothers Of Invention
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Um, if she doesn't understand a basic contract at 19 ... how old does she have to be before she does?

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
          Um, if she doesn't understand a basic contract at 19 ... how old does she have to be before she does?
          We have a winner!

Comment

19 & a half?...lol.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              She was only *****teen ...
              I was only seventeen...

I was ONLY SEVENTEEN!

...And I once killed a man with a Fender guitar...
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

PS. what is the lowest legal contract age? 16, 17 or 18? But I understand that if an adult guardian/parent is also co-signed (which it sounds like it maybe here) that even that limit does not apply.

Comment

Maybe she agreed to the charges because she figured she could get her mom to bully the csr rep later on.
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                    PS. what is the lowest legal contract age? 16, 17 or 18?
                    I believe it's eighteen in the US by Federal law, but it's worth researching. If any of the signers is a major, however, the contract would be valid no matter what.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                      PS. what is the lowest legal contract age? 16, 17 or 18? But I understand that if an adult guardian/parent is also co-signed (which it sounds like it maybe here) that even that limit does not apply.
                      They weren't arguing that the contract was invalid due to age, they were arguing that it was invalid due to her being too stupid to understand it. At least, that was the gist that I got from the coddling mom
                      "Aww..poor baby, here let mommy tell the bad man that you don't have to be held accountable for your actions"

Comment

Quoth Redbeard View Post
                        They weren't arguing that the contract was invalid due to age, they were arguing that it was invalid due to her being too stupid to understand it. At least, that was the gist that I got from the coddling mom
                        "Aww..poor baby, here let mommy tell the bad man that you don't have to be held accountable for your actions"
                        Aww Man I need a mommy to make all my debts go away!
                        You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

I believe it's eighteen in the US by Federal law, but it's worth researching. If any of the signers is a major, however, the contract would be valid no matter what.
                          In the US it is 18. If you make a contact with a minor and no adult cosigner, the minor can walk out of the contract at anytime with no penalties as you can't make a legally binding contract with a minor.
                          The angels have the phone box.

Comment

Old enough to want to cut the umbilical cord that still attaches her to her Mom.
                            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                            Save the Ales!
                            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

The exact rules are on a state by state basis (personal contracts are not generally Federally regulated.)

If under the care of an adult guardian, it's generally 18, but for some ages below that point, the doctrine of Unjust Enrichment comes in to play. (For instance, if you buy a car when you are 17, and then wreck it, you don't get to argue that your contract to pay for said car is null and void.)

An important exception is Emancipated minors. A 16+ minor that can meet several conditions is allowed to petition to emancipate him/herself, and then is, for the purpose of contracts, property, and self-determination, legally an adult. (Such petitions are usually, but not always, unsuccessful.)

In any case, if you are out of high school, and over 18, any contract you sign is just as binding on you as it would be with any other adult.

Comment

Working...
                              X