Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good grief. The most recent idiot who prompted me to grouse about the "I'd like to order this" nonsense just told me that my price to make them a new one, custom, was "unreasonable." Unreasonable my ass! It is HALF what you'd pay for the same thing from some makers! It's a frigging HAND PAINTED leopard tail! There's more than 100 individual spots on the damn thing. It takes me more than a whole day of work to make it!

Man, I am SO SICK of this. I went ahead and actually replied to tell them they shouldn't be rude. Not that they'll learn anything from it, but I see no reason to just sit and take it from twits like that.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
      but I see no reason to just sit and take it from twits like that.
      I don't either.

For 'people of the book' (Jews, Christians, Muslims), you can always quote Deuteronomy 25:4 "Do not muzzle the ox that is treading out your grain".

Or more blatantly, in the New Testament, "The workman is worthy of his hire."

I'm not Christian (any more), but some aspects of the faith are common sense. (Yeah, yeah, I know. Common sense isn't common, yadda yadda.) This is one of them.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
        Man, I am SO SICK of this. I went ahead and actually replied to tell them they shouldn't be rude. Not that they'll learn anything from it, but I see no reason to just sit and take it from twits like that.
        That's one of the beauties of being your own boss; you don't have to take it.

You have the option to let them know just how stupid and ridiculous their claims and demands really are.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

And now I have somebody giving me preachy "advice" about how to prevent these kinds of things from happening.

As if! There is nothing you can do to prevent customers from being sucky at you! Doesn't matter what you do, or how much you bend over and invite them to screw you, you'll still never please everybody.

And I hate getting preachy advice. Gah. It's like the whole universe is trying to piss me off lately. I've never had so much suck all in a row like this.
          The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Comment

More updateness: impatient twit has replied at last. He wants a refund! Halleluja! I am going to the bank first thing on Monday to get him a check, and then I will be DONE with his whiny ass.

Comment

*gives spark a cookie*

I'm sorry things suck.
              1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
              -----
              http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Poor Spark... Your own spark has gone.

I'm glad the idiot has finally contacted you; I think if you ever end up in that situation again, refunding automatically after a set time would be your best bet (assuming that it's the least costly option for you) - if it turns out that they didn't want to cancel, that's their fault for not getting in touch ina timely manner, & your obligation is ended so you wouldn't have to try & fit them into your schedule any more.
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Well, ordinarily I'd avoid needing to give a refund at all costs, under normal circumstances I'd MUCH rather do the work and keep the money!

Comment

Oh for frick's sake!

Add to the "pet peeves of mine that have happened this week" list somebody giving me their ideas for how I can totally improve my business and solve my problems. *sigh* Of course it's NEVER anybody with one ounce of experience at this sort of thing, and their ideas are never actually any use at all.

Comment

I just hope anything you've already bought/done for the guy-who-wanted-a-refund is something you can recycle into a neato plushie or other saleable.

Y'know, I hadn't thought of getting plushie patterns. But then, I'm sure there's an art to stuffing them properly as well as cutting and assembling.

And that accurate sewing makes a HUGE difference. I know that when buying a stuffed toy for someone, I typically end up looking at EVERY one of that type on the shelf, looking for just the right 'expression'. And that difference has to be stuffing & sewing.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Yeah, the same pattern can come out very differently with some pretty minor changes.

I just got a response from the gal who thinks my prices are "unreasonable." She did apologize for the insult, but she also said that it was justified because she'd seen somewhere else with a similar item for half the price. So it wasn't much of an apology.

Funnily enough that somewhere else was also all sold out. If they were anywhere NEAR as nice as mine they'd have flown off the shelf at that price, lemme tell you.

As for the guy who wanted a refund, the only work I'd done was a quick concept sketch, and I hadn't bought any supplies because I did the concept to use fabrics I already had on hand. I keep a large stock of things for just such a reason. It makes smaller projects way easier.
                        Last edited by spark; 02-03-2012, 04:16 PM.

Comment

LOL...to the people trying to give the "helpful advice" I say: Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.

People just want everything NOW NOW NOW (not to mention cheap). Sorry, a lot of things work that way in the 21st century but not everything. Patience is a virtue.
                          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Hand-crafted custom-made NEVER works that way. Ever.

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
                              I just got a response from the gal who thinks my prices are "unreasonable." She did apologize for the insult, but she also said that it was justified because she'd seen somewhere else with a similar item for half the price. So it wasn't much of an apology.

Funnily enough that somewhere else was also all sold out. If they were anywhere NEAR as nice as mine they'd have flown off the shelf at that price, lemme tell you.
                              Should tell her you have a friend of yours that is happy to list out of stock items for any price they'd care to name...Just don't expect to ever actually *buy* any at that price

Your prices are damned good, IMO, and will be checking with you about a plush when I can bring m'self to spend the cash

Comment

Working...
                              X