This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impersonation

Backstory - my main job, at least until I graduate in the next few weeks , is work study as a tutor. We also sign in students for computer lab use. Student ID is required for checking into the lab - no exceptions. Story is going to be as general as possible, to avoid violating FERPA.

I opened the lab as usual in the morning. The unusual started when I had an influx of students checking in for the lab. They all said that their instructor sent them down. This is a big no-no, because 1) this limits other students who really need to use the lab, 2) students from the class are usually talking amongst each other; the lab operates like a library, in that we keep it quiet so all the students can work in peace, and 3) there is a separate computer lab the instructors can sign out for use just for this purpose.

Since my director is not in, the lab is empty this morning, and there are only 6 of them, I relent and let them check in. My main mistake, I know, but I figure they'll get their work done quickly. They all have their ID's, and are pretty quiet while in the lab, which is great.

Soon after, I hear someone outside the lab on a cell - another violation, we keep cell calls clear of the lab and the outside hallway. I start to go out, and I'm met at the entrance by an older lady, professionally dressed, and just ended her cell call. She says that she's the instructor for the class that came in, and is checking up on them. I let her into the lab.

My director comes in soon after, and I let her know of the situation, pointing out the person that said that she was the instructor. As soon as I'm done explaining what's going on, everyone from the class starts exiting the lab, including the instructor.

D: Director
    I: 'Instructor'

D: (As soon as she comes out) "Are you the instructor?"
    I:"No..."
    D:"So, you are just a student?"
    I:"Yes, I'm working with my class."

I felt at this point - turns out that she said that because she forgot her ID, and wanted to work with her class. Makes me look like an idiot, basically.

So, after they all leave. my director investigates further, and finds out from the real instructor that the students were supposed to go to the library. Only problem was that the library wasn't open at that time, so they came to our lab.

Nothing came of it as far as I was concerned, and I didn't hear the outcome of the student impersonator. It's been awhile since it happened, and I'm still - basically because I've been trained in my degree program to prevent against this type of thing, and not only did I fail, I epically failed.

Needless to say, from that point until I'm done, no more exceptions.

Can you now ban that student from the lab? She lied to your face about who she was and didn't even have permission to be in the lab in the first place. (They were supposed to go to the library, as you said.)

Comment

Actually RichS, it may not seem so now, but this was a great time to "fail." There weren't any security repercussions, the students from the class didn't disrupt regular lab users, and you are now VERY aware of the fact that people will out and out lie to get access to machines under your control. Good lesson learned cheap I'd have to say!

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
        Can you now ban that student from the lab?
        I'm assuming, like my previous encounter, that there will be something put on the student record, but we don't want to discourage people coming to use the lab. We'll be keeping a closer eye out when she comes in, however.

And sms001, I totally agree with you - at least I'm in a learning situation instead of in a business with however-many computers under my control.

Comment

not to mention she won't be able to lie to you again - especially as an excuse to be on her cell

Comment

That is contemptable on that one student's part.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
            X