Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cousins and I are good examples of growing up in non-gender biased environments. Most of the people in our family are creative. My dad's sisters and mother all sew and knit. Some of them paint. My dad and his brother paint, as well as do woodwork and metalwork. I grew up with the idea that I could do anything I wanted. So I sew, do papercrafts, do a little bit of painting, and woodwork. I studied mechanical and electronic engineering at uni. I can fix my own car with my dad coaching me over the phone, and the stuff I can't do is usually because I don't have the tools. For my 21st birthday I got 2 collector dolls and a cordless drill, and I was excited by all my presents, though my aunty and uncle were confused when mum suggested they get me the drill. I loved that drill.

If you walk in to my cousin B's house you will think this is a real girly girl. There are silk flowers in vases, prints of famous french paintings on the walls, lace on the arms of the chairs, plus her teddy collection is dotted around the house. Then you walk in to the dinning room, which doubles as her trophy room, and you do a double take. Against one wall is an old dresser of B's grandmothers that has more of her teddy collection, and along the other wall is parked a vintage Indian Chief motorcycle and another of the bikes that B races, plus there are photos of her racing, and winning, on both of the bikes. She does her own repairs on her bikes, and has 4 motorbikes in the garage in various states of repair, plus her 2 bikes that she rides on a daily basis. B also works as a sparky (electrician) and she does have one of those girly tool kits as it stops her tools going missing.

Now our other cousin M is a total girly girl. She loves shopping, dressing up, paints, and has absolutely no interest in getting her hands covered in engine oil. Although she has been taught to change a tyre, she would rather pay someone to fix it than get her hands dirty. It's not that she thinks girls shouldn't do things like that (her mother doesn't believe in gender bias) but it's just she is a girly girl with no interest in it.

As for mens vs womens body products, B uses mens deoderant as she prefers the scent, I use womens non-scented (I have allergies so have to be careful) and M obviously uses womens scented. Also, my dad uses my mum's womens shaving gel as it is a lot easier on the skin than mens shaving cream.

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
      no-one wants to borrow his tools - cause they're pink... LOL
      I've mentioned this before in another thread, but I had a daily customer at the c-store, 6' plus in both directions, skyscraper iron worker, who got pink lighters for just that reason.

Love it when the stereotyping works to one's advantage; it's few and far between.

Comment

My wife always teases me because sometimes I use her pink disposable razors when I run out of mine. I don't see what difference it makes. They both work the same and no one else is going to see them.

Comment

The thing that drives me crazy is I ALWAYS get "being a pilot is for boys" when we hold our kids events or if I'm some where promoting our events. So, I make sure to be as girly as possible (while still practical) when promoting or at the events, to prove a point, that point being bite me I'm a girl, and I'm gonna fly. Its great to see the looks I get when I skip out to a plane to help move, fuel it up, or go for a flight, while wearing make up, girly hair style and adorable girly shoes.
          My normal outfits include Batman hoodie, various airplane shirts only one of which is a girly shirt (its so cute it has a shiny heart on it!), jeans and my Ye Olde combat boots.
          I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

OOOH. Did some stupid training thing about men's razors. To those who still wonder why they are different:
            Some blades are thinner, close together and have more than 3 blades to use. They also use it more often cause their beards supposidly grow faster. They haven't met me or my roomate . Manufacturers don't take into consideration that a lot of women have thick thick hair on their legs. They think every girl is all frilly.

It also goes into great depth of how women use skin care products, and don't even include men in it. Or nail color. I see some men use nail polish, and not just black. And they are straighter than a ruler. I love society these days. NOT

Comment

Haha, I use men's razor (unless the really good girly ones are on special & the men's ones aren't) and men's deo - have since I was about 13.
              I'm not gender confused, but I *do* refer to myself as 'a guy like me' 'all us males' etc - years of almost exclusively male friends & coworkers has done that!
              I don't like the word 'tomboy' - bad associations - but I am, well, what I am.
              Once in a blue moon I wear a skirt - but usually only with leggings on
              My boyfriend lets me wear his jeans all the time (which is great seeing as I can't seem to fit any of mine ) and has no problems with me borrowing any of his clothes! I'll happily wear men's boxers or briefs (err, by that I mean the tight cotton shorts that I'm pretty sure don't count as 'boxers) but he doesn't like me borrowing his
              The only thing he's not happy with is me wanting to wear a suit to my best friends' wedding - I missed out on being a groomsman by [ ] this much & they're dead keen on me wearing a suit anyway

I dressed daughter in blue & neutral colours when she was born; that didn't last terribly long I got sick of the 'boy' comments. Hello, she's wearing white, that doesn't mean she's a boy!
              Funny thing is, from about age 2-8 she was a TOTAL girly girl. Was really hard for me to connect as I didn't "get" the games she was playing, toys etc. Then one day (literally) she did a 180 and decided she HATED pink, purple, barbies, etc...
              Lately she's coming to a bit of a balance (she is nearly 11 now ) and is now still quite 'tomboyish' but OK with some girly stuff. IE, got her to watch a bunch of MLP eps & she said "You know mum, I wasn't too keen on the idea of ponies, but this is actually quite tolerable!" from the mouths of babes!
              Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
              What's the difference?
              We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

I prefer wearing men's shirts. Women's are too clingy.

I wear women's pants, though, and women's shoes 98% of the time...unless I find a good pair of men's in my size. (I am so sick of so many shoe manufacturers or whatever deciding that all women's tennis shoes need to be either white, pink or powder blue. )

Might have to think about men's deodorant for work. Between the heat lamps, the toasters and the fryer, mine doesn't cut it anymore.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

My dad got a free body wash with something he bought once (probably deoderant) and my sister and I stole it. I like it and have continued to use it ever since I also have short hair and like wearing baggy t-shirts and jeans *checks nope no penis, boobs haven't shrunk, still a woman*
                  While I am relatively feminine (I like purple, shoes and sparkly things) I see no reason to choose things purely based on the gender they are "supposed" to be for. I choose it because I like it or it's the most practical.
                  Sometimes the noise in your closet is just a chicken loving cross-dresser ~Lixxle

When I'm not fair, it's because I'm too busy being fun ~Dana

Comment

Adding to this gender bias idiocy, I should point out that my two sisters and my stepsister are ALL big sports fans, especially football. All love beer. Good tasty craft beer, too, not some watered down swill. And the two friends I invited to join me for my first baseball home opener, when I'll be watching my Diamondbacks CRUSH the hated rival San Francisco Giants? Both girls. Yes, one of them will be bringing her husband along, but he is coming because I invited her, not the other way around. (Look for us in the right field bleachers next Friday!)

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
                    I ALWAYS get "being a pilot is for boys"
                    Then you will LOVE this one.

Key West has a somewhat major Naval Air Station, and so we have a lot of Navy personnel in town and at the bars, both the type that are stationed here and the kind that are in town for a few days or weeks on maneuvers. A while back, I had two of them at the bar, a pilot and a gunner (I think--or was it navigator?). A guy and a girl. It's a bit fuzzy, but either the girl was the pilot and the guy was the navigator, OR the guy was the pilot and the girl was the gunner. I know she wasn't allowed to fly actual combat missions, due to the ridiculous gender bias the U.S. military has for such things (unlike, say, the Israeli military), but whatever it was she did in the plane, she was a BADASS. Either way, in almost all matters when people asked HIM about flying, he would defer to HER, as she was, in his words, the class of the operation. Also the more dangerous of the two, as he told me. I was happy to hear she was single, but sadly, she seemed far less interested in me than I was in her.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
                      I also carry a wallet in my back pocket at all times and rarely use the purse I have.

*looks down*

Nope, no penis yet!
                      Same here.

And I hate women's shirts. Not all women have stick thin arms. I NEED sleeves!
                      I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                        I'm a female, and yes I do love pink (it's my signature color) I much prefer a good action film with a good storyline.
                        How Steel Magnolias of you

I am going to be different here and state that I use a crystal based deodorant, no smell at all but it's effective. I prefer men's t shirts over women's any day. I prefer mens socks sometimes cause they fit better and aren't so thin.

I am not your typical girly girl. I don't want flowers or candy or jewelry I want electronics dammit. I love tinkering with that stuff. And I personally hate pink

On any given day I'm wearing a t shirt or casual shirt of some kind, jeans (not tight skinny jeans either hate those) and athletic shoes. I like it simple and comfortable. I wear a lot of jewelry actually but it's all stuff that stays on 24 hours a day like captive bead earrings and such.
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          I know she wasn't allowed to fly actual combat missions, due to the ridiculous gender bias the U.S. military has for such things (unlike, say, the Israeli military)
                          When my best friend was in bootcamp for the army, apparently the crew (dunno the term, sorry miltary folks) she was on had all the girls ouranking the guys with the best shooting accuracy, speed and other tests.

And they say women aren't dangerous.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                            How Steel Magnolias of you
                            Believe it or not, I actually enjoy that film.

I am not your typical girly girl. I don't want flowers or candy or jewelry I want electronics dammit. I love tinkering with that stuff. And I personally hate pink
                            Although I love the electronic gizmos, I do like jewelry too. Maybe I'm some sort of demented hybrid of some sort.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

You were right Jester.

Quoth Jester View Post
                              Either way, in almost all matters when people asked HIM about flying, he would defer to HER
                              I get that at the airport currently, the guy running it for now isn't a plane guy. If I'm there and someone comes in with a question he directs them to me. It's funny seeing their looks when the 50 something year old guy who is running the airport is directing them to the young looking GIRL who doesn't work there.

Quoth Jester View Post
                              I was happy to hear she was single.
                              That's cause us pilot girls are awesome.
                              I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

someone posted a story about an older brother who bought a video game for his younger brother.
                                I remember that one. I thought the older brother was sweet. Cos hey not everyone likes boring colors.

man's razor
                                Right now I use the disposable pink bics but i've used men's too. In fact when it comes to electric ones... I only use men's. The ones marketed for girls suck big time.

axe

Not that I have a gender bias in deodorants ... I just have a bias against Axe. When it first came out I did have one I sprayed on my feet*, but that was mainly because it was the only spray available on the ship.

(navy, combat boots 18 hours a day... not to mention less ick factor since i didn't have to rub my feet and my pits with the same stick etc)

but when my bf uses it in the bathroom... i can't go in for a few minutes until the stench clears out. even if it's an axe scent that doesn't bother me as much

(old spice is ok though =))

Comment

Working...
                                X