Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I dislike insects and similar creepy-crawlies in general, I do happen to adore one type, and wish I could get them to colonize near my house -- dragonflies. If there's anything we need more of here, it's a bug that eats mosquitoes.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
      I've never understood phobias that are that bad. I can understand being wary of something you don't like or trust, but to actually run from something that doesn't pose an imminent threat sounds like a serious problem.

I wonder if there's any way people with those kinds of phobias can condition themselves to feel less threatened or scared. I assume it would take a long time, though, depending on the level of fear they have toward a particular thing.
      For me it's spiders, and has been for as long as I can remember. And I live in a part of the world where there aren't any significantly dangerous spiders. Doesn't matter. Something in my brain is not susceptible to any amount of logical reasoning on my part, it's like a little program designed to release massive amounts of adrenaline and activate the flight reflex if I so much as see a spider, especially one near me in my house. I literally cannot deal with them. I can't. I can't even scoop one into a jar and carry the jar outside, my husband has to do that because I won't allow him to kill spiders, just get them away from me. Spiders are too important to kill, but my brain thinks they're alien creatures right at the top of the threat hierarchy. And I've had close encounters with bears and not been that pants-wettingly scared.

I have tried for many years to mitigate the reaction, to learn to not be so mindlessly terrified of spiders, and nothing works. I can't even look at a picture of a spider, it's that bad. Some phobias can be calmed down, maybe. I have yet to find a method that will help mine.
      What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth mharbourgirl View Post
        Some phobias can be calmed down, maybe. I have yet to find a method that will help mine.
        For a phobia that extreme you generally need the help of a trained professional.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

So this was the thread that caused me to dream of huge spiders with plastic ladybird shells on them then?

Hate the things since one ran right over my foot when I was a kid.... never would sit on the floor again after that!
          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
            Cats also like to investigate new things and chase any fast moving objects. Even cats like mine, who are horrendously fat and lazy.

While snakes are okay with simply laying around (especially after just eating a meal), they do like to go outside and find different smells to investigate. For the first few minutes of being outside (or in a new place), they'll be very active and will flick their tongues out like crazy to smell the air. However, they eventually calm down and curl around your neck for warmth.

...Or they'll be like my snake, who prefers to climb down your shirt and hang there like it's a hammock. D:
            My cats do like to run around and frisk...at the crack of dawn when I don't need to be awake for another hour.

Do you change things out in their tank for them? Or move the tank so they have a different view? Do they ever pee on you? Can they control their output? I'm not being snarky, I honestly know nothing about owning snakes. This is interesting.

Quoth ReverendBSB View Post
            Yeah, I had a friend who was scared of snakes and would kill them whenever he found them, venomous or not. He would even kill King Snakes! I kept telling him, Kind Snakes are not harmful and kill rats and other snakes, but he would not listen. He had a small farm too, killing rats should be a big priority for him, but he was just too stupid.
            You are right, he was an idiot. There used to be a King Snake that liked to stretch out in the road and soak in the heat. I'd go out and stomp my feet to make him move. One of my neighbors saw me doing it and said that I should just stomp on snakes head, so I used a rake to pick snake up and put it in a bucket and took snake out in the desert and let it go. I didn't want the neighbor to kill it.

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
            All you need to do is remind the cats that if they continue to sit around lazing all day...

THE STRING IS GOING TO ESCAPE!
            That was FUNNY! Thank you, I bookmarked the link

Comment

Working...
            X