Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, yes, area codes. A concept that many people have not mastered. We've had many people complaining that a number printed in an ad was wrong, and it turned out they were not dialing the area code which was printed right there. What they thought that number meant, I have no clue.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

When I used to work at AccountingFirm, we begged the boss to let us get caller ID ... He didn't wanna spend the money to get that (we got robocalls and phone scammers daily), or to upgrade the server to one that was built less than a decade ago...etc. It was enough to make me want to take a key to one of his Ferraris >_>
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I had this happen last week:

Me: Thank you for calling My Store this is NotAlBundy, how can I help you?
        SC: Where are you located?
        Me: We're in the Hoity-toity Mall, next to the Women's Department Store.
        SC: We're from out of town. How do we get there from the Hoity-Toity Mall?
        Me: ... We're IN the Hoity-toity Mall.
        Sc: Oh! What store are you near?
        Me: Women's Department Store.
        SC: Thank you!

Seriously?

Comment

Quoth Misty View Post
          Me: Hello, and welcome to [yogurt shop], how may I help you?
          Caller: Yeah, I need to schedule a colonoscopy.
          Me: will that be chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry cheesecake swirl?
          Fixed that for ya

Comment

Quoth Misty
            Me: Hello, and welcome to [yogurt shop], how may I help you?
            Caller: Yeah, I need to schedule a colonoscopy.
            Me: will that be chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry cheesecake swirl?
            A chocolate colonoscopy would be one where the colon cleansing was not done.

A vanilla colonoscopy would be one where the colon cleansing was done.

And a strawberry cheesecake swirl colonoscopy would be one where you have serious problems.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
              A chocolate colonoscopy would be one where the colon cleansing was not done.

A vanilla colonoscopy would be one where the colon cleansing was done.

And a strawberry cheesecake swirl colonoscopy would be one where you have serious problems.
              FFS, Ironclad, warn a female, would ya? Now I gotta go and wipe some damn good coffee off the monitor before the Hubster wakes up, he gets really tetchy when there's spots on his screen.

Best laugh I've had all week, though, I will give ya that.
              What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Back when I worked for the library, the phone book company made a mistake and switched my number with that of an autobody shop. It took me about a week to figure it out, then I called the autobody shop and talked to the person answering the phones.

We agreed that we would give prople the correct number, but seeing as how they weren't OUR customers, reserved the right to hang up on jerks.

I can't tell you how many people would yell at me because they had dialed the number right (Yes, you did Sir/Mam, the phone book company made a mistake.), demand that the phone book company correct the mistake right away (I'm not the phone book company, I can't make them reprint and redeliver the phone books, here is their number), be upset that I know nothing about their car (I've already explained about the mistake in the phone book), threaten to have me fired because I couldn't just transfer them, etc., etc., etc.

According to the person at the autobody place, some of my customers were just as clueless.

Comment

When I worked wheelchair for a few months, there was this one guy who could not get it through his head that he was calling the cellphone that was used for a medical transportation services. We would text him and call him, but he was convinced some girl with a stripper-sounding name had really given him her phone number.

We had the number for over 6 months at the time so pretty sure she would have known her phone had been shut off or something.

Comment

Quoth emt_cookies View Post
                    pretty sure she would have known her phone had been shut off or something.
                    She had probably seen your service # recently and given him that one on purpose
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Earlier in the week, my office was *constantly* getting calls from some asshole in California. Tuesday, he called a whopping dozen times in an hour. Each time, he was getting more and more upset, since he was 'calling the right number' and couldn't understand how he kept getting us. Yeah, since those numbers have a way of changing themselves inside the phone lines. Turns out, that rather than dial the number manually, he was just hitting 'redial' over and over

After about the 12th call, he's lucky he didn't get *me* on the phone. I have better things to do with my time than deal with assholes. Plus, after being at the same place for 15 years, I can get away with being rude on the phone I'm sure I could tell him not only what he could do with himself...but his horse (and several other barnyard animals) he rode in on as well.
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                      X