This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let me make it easier for you...

Few things irritate me more than people who hand me change after I've hit the total button. I get it, you don't want to have a bunch of pennies in your pocket. But for me especially, it's really a hassle to try to figure out the correct amount of change to give you when the amount you have coming ends in .17 cents and you hand me a quarter.

I don't mind even exchanges, someone giving me a quarter so their 4.75 becomes a full five dollars. But for the most part, I prever you give me change BEFORE I hit the total button.

This one woman really got under my skin. I hit the total button and was making out her change, then she said, "Here, let me make it easy for you."

She then proceeds to fish through her pockets for change. This process takes about five minutes and I'm holding the drawer open for far longer than it should be. There's also a line behind her.

She didn't even apologize for taking as long as she did. Where in her mind does that translate into "making it easier?"

I do this.

I am one of the customers who will give change after the total is offered if it means I don't need to take pennies home.

I will not root around for longer than about 5 seconds. If I can't find the change nearly immediately, I'll take my change as-is. I'll make sure my adding change rounds the total to the nearest dime (otherwise what's the point?), and I don't try to be a jerk about it.

I don't like making more work for the employee and I'd never say "Let me make it easier." If anything, I'd likely apologize for the trouble.

But still, I do this.

I just hate pennies.
    If there’s one thing women love, it’s the guy that just can’t seem to find the line that divides “Ha Ha” and “Stacey, get your purse, we’re leaving before he comes back.”.

--Gravekeeper

Comment

But Balgram, the OP doesn't mean after the total is given. I don't think she'd object if you said "hold on, let me get some change." She means after the customer hands over whatever tender, she goes into the drawer, gets their change - and THEN the customer says, "No, wait, I have..." and tries to give them something else. THAT peeves me off too.

Comment

Once you've worked at a place long enough, giving change comes surprisingly easily. I don't even have to look at the screen to know 25-17=8 cents.

My pet peeve with change-wrangling is when they try to give me change after I already tended out the order. If I have the automatic change dispenser running, it already spewed out the 92 cents, so we're sorry but you can't give us 8.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry, didn't see previous post.
        Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Quoth sevendaysky View Post
          She means after the customer hands over whatever tender.
          I'm a "He".

Comment

What pisses me off is people who can't work out that giving me a little more is just as helpful as giving me the exact. If you're standing there with a hand full of 50p & £1 coins, and the total's £40.20, you saying "sorry I don't have it" is VERY hollow... And on seeing that I'm handing you even more change, NOW you start trying to arrange an exchange for a note to lessen the change in your pocket? Sorry, policy states I can't do that.
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I do that, too, but it's almost always because the cashier has grabbed my bill and jabbed the button before I can hand over the change.

I cashiered for 8 years so doing the math when customers add change waaaaay after I've hit the cash button is easy for me. I get super annoyed when they take forever so, oops, I closed my drawer so here's your change lol.

The math does get quicker over time. I kind of enjoy trying to get quarters back in my change (I collect the special ones the mint does) so I often get a confused cashier when the bill is like $3.83 and I give $4.08. I actually had to coax a poor boy at McDs that it was ok to punch in what I gave him. The look on his face when he saw it was a quarter back was really cute XD.

Comment

Working...
              X