X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ketchup Krazy

Why did it seem like a full moon today?

So I was told that I was staying an additional hour at the last minute (I had already changed my schedule because I fly out at some ridiculous hour tomorrow morning and didn't want to work late); didn't really have a choice in the matter. While I was working on my SM-approved project upstairs, manager C throws me on register, and then tells me as I'm about to shut down "you're staying till 3." (how do you know I don't need to leave right at 2? I just told you I couldn't stay later). At this point there's a line so I can't just shut down.

When I did finally punch out, SM was annoyed that I had logged an extra hour but happy that I was able to at least get my signs done.

So I'm ringing, manager C (female) is watching me like a hawk and snapping "come on come on, ring faster!". Of course that causes me to make mistakes, and it's not my problem if the scanner doesn't catch the barcode the first time (I always get put on the screwy register).

In the middle of a stupid crazy rush, a woman comes through and snaps: "Where's the ketchup? Show me where the ketchup is! I couldn't find it." The most I can do is tell her which aisle and point in that direction...she has mustard in her cart, the ketchup is RIGHT NEXT TO IT.

She swoops off, leaving me with an open order. I finish scanning and then subtotal it so I can start bagging without the timer on my ass.

She's ba-aaack..."You're wrong! I didn't see any ketchup! I need a 24-ounce bottle! Go get me my ketchup!" I turn to my bagger and ask her to either go get a big bottle of ketchup or get someone else to do it...that takes about five minutes as she tries ineffectually to flag someone down (until B at the service desk takes pity on me and pages someone from Grocery).

A line is building, which I can't do anything about as the harpy (henceforth known as KW) won't let me finish her transaction so I can keep things moving and she can purchase the ketchup at the desk.

The customer behind the next man in line wants to know what's taking so long (not agitated, just curious; I think she's more frustrated about the ketchup woman). She's a very polite Indian woman (which sadly becomes relevant), henceforth known as NW.

KW: "This girl won't get me my ketchup! This is ridiculous!"
    NW: "It's not her fault you didn't find the ketchup."
    KW: "She should have shown me!"
    NW: "She can't leave the register. You could have asked someone else."
    M (man next in line): "It's right next to the mustard, which I see you did find."
    KW: *blank stare* "I can't wait for this!"
    NW: "We're all waiting. You can finish your purchase and wait at the desk for someone to get the ketchup if it's so important."
    KW: "Who are you to be talking to me?! We can take this outside!"
    M: "The only thing you can take outside are your groceries and your attitude. None of this is the cashier's or anyone else's fault."
    KW: "I'm staying right here until I get my ketchup!"
    NW: "You just said you don't have time to wait."
    KW: "Oh, go back to your own country!"

Me, bagger, SM, and everyone in earshot:

When someone from grocery does show up with the ketchup, the biggest bottle we have is 20 ounces. Not acceptable. She starts in again, then "I really don't have time for this, just ring it up! YOU made me late! And my ice cream is melted!"

I still have to help the 'woman', so I ring her out as quickly as possible in robot mode. I have no idea if she actually got new ice cream or not, but hope she didn't.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 08-13-2012, 11:26 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

What a EW hoebag! That would infuriate me being stuck behind someone who literally didn't care they were causing others to be held up, much less holding HERSELF up and then blaming someone else. Nice that the other customers called her our on her fucking idiocy.

Comment

If her ice cream melted, it's her own damned fault for standing there creating a scene instead of getting her groceries checked out and home ASAP.

Quoth KW from OP
      "Oh, go back to your own country!"
      Somebody should have told her stupid self that she should go crawl back under her rock, but there again, I guess even the rocks have standards.

Frankly, I'm surprised as loud as she sounded a MOD didn't hear her and step in to diffuse the situation (or at least a supervisor.)

As far as her precious ketchup goes, she could do what I do and *gasp* stock up when it's on SALE. If I see a 10 for $10 (which we run every so often on condiments such as ketchup or mustard) I'll buy up at least 3 or 4 . . . . I have a brother who eats ketchup with EVERYTHING and will pitch a fit of mammoth proportions if we're out (one of the joys of living with someone with a developmental challenge.)
      Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 08-13-2012, 09:35 PM.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Manager C was there, I'm not sure if she was intentionally ignoring everything or just didn't hear exactly what happened (part of me thinks that she enjoyed seeing me in an awkward situation that I couldn't do anything to get out of any faster).

I wanted to call out KW but figured she would just lodge a complaint if I did. It really sucks that we're expected to just stand by with shit like that.

Comment

I'm so glad the other customers called her out on her bad behaviour. And their reaction was probably better than a comeback (tho, I like the line in Lethal Weapon 4 - "I suppose your parents were Native Americans?" )
          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
          What's the difference?
          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Unfortunately, even if I wanted to void KW's transaction and send her on her way for threatening a customer, I needed C's key to do it and she was ignoring the whole incident. I can't help but wonder if one or the other party involved is going to try to complain...

Then she banished me to bagging while she "got the line down" (and bashed my finger with a watermelon that was flung down the belt in her efforts to be fast). Way to make me look bad <_<

Comment

You may have to go over C's head and talk to the store manager about the incident before anyone else puts their version in. I think C might have been setting you up to make herself look good. I hate backstabbers.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                As far as her precious ketchup goes, she could do what I do and *gasp* stock up when it's on SALE. If I see a 10 for $10 (which we run every so often on condiments such as ketchup or mustard) I'll buy up at least 3 or 4 . . . . I have a brother who eats ketchup with EVERYTHING and will pitch a fit of mammoth proportions if we're out (one of the joys of living with someone with a developmental challenge.)
                Thread jack!

Red Gold Ketchup

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                  I was really bummed to see that no store within 200 miles of me sells that...

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                    manager C throws me on register, and then tells me as I'm about to shut down "you're staying till 3."
                    This reminds me of a time at Wallyworld.
                    Manager= What are you doing?
                    Me= Counting out? I'm closed.
                    Manager= Did CSM tell you that we need you to stay until 5?
                    Me= Nope.
                    Manager= *goes off to talk to CSM*
                    Me= *finishes closing out til and walks over to CSM's podium where manager is still talking* ready to go.
                    Manager= *shoots me a look, then glares at CSM*
                    CSM= Come on, Hina. I'll walk you down to the cash office.

From that day on that manager did not like me. Though she was really supportive after the Christmas Crying Incident

KW: "Who are you to be talking to me?! We can take this outside!"
                    M: "The only thing you can take outside are your groceries and your attitude. None of this is the cashier's or anyone else's fault."
                    KW: "Oh, go back to your own country!"
                    Yeah that woman is just all around offensive isn't she? Though I love the man's comeback. He seems like a nice person.
                    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X