X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Thursday/Friday Debriefing Thread 2012

A tad early but this is my thread so .

This year I get to work in housewares. I figure the swamp will be batshit crazy. We'll be the first place in town to offer electronics doorbusters (Wal Shart opens an hour before us but doesn't begin their electronics doorbusters until an hour after we open.)

Additional security measures will be in place so we don't reenact last year's stampede.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

"Wal Shart"? *snicker* I'm lucky I wasn't drinking anything >_>

If it makes youse guys feel any better, I will not be anywhere near a retail store for TG/BF if I can help it. Can't guarantee the same for my host, tho -- he works for a newspaper, and he might have to go out to cover said insanity if they get a localized stampede ~_~
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

All this talk of stampedes is getting me scared, lol. I'm going down to the states for my first Black Friday ever. I've mainly been concentrating on not getting my wallet/phone stolen in the crowd. Now I'm going to have to think about not getting stepped on haha.

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post
        I've mainly been concentrating on not getting my wallet/phone stolen in the crowd. Now I'm going to have to think about not getting stepped on haha.
        Front pocket.

They'll have to give you a reach-around to get at those.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

This is going to be my first Black Friday in retail and I'm pulling 15 hours... I'm more than a little nervous but I know I'm just a runner for the registers so I'm not overly worried. We only have three registers so I'm mostly going to be on floor and running for things in the back that we don't keep on the floor for loss prevention reasons. >_> I'm scared.

Comment

Black Friday is this Friday? Whoa. Maybe that explains why I'm on the schedule for Friday night, although only for 4 hours ... still, this could be interesting.

Comment

As is my habit we will be avoiding any sort of shopping at all on this coming hell weekend. We have all the supplies ready to take to my mums, we will be driving the jetta and a full tank of diesel will handily carry us from the wilds of Connecticut to my mom's house in Caledonia [just south of Rochester]NY with fuel to spare. So we won't need to do anything until we refill the tank Sunday morning for the trip home. Well other than cook, eat, and watch lots of TV.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I'm actually skipping Black Friday this year. Normally I go, but avoid the stores/times with the doorbuster deals. I'll check out big yellow price tag's website on Turkey-day, before we head down to see Grandma, but there's one minor thing I have my eye on.
                That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

I work on Black Friday...and it doesn't matter, because I'm in a bar on a tropical island, so it doesn't affect me. And this is one of those days that reminds me why I love working in a bar and not in retail. Thanks for that, folks!

The good news is that for the first time since I've worked at The Bar (5.5 years), I am taking Thanksgiving off. My friends are having a dinner, and while I went last year, I got there late (after I finished work), and rushed to do it. This year I said, "Fuck that!" and requested the day off, figuring that having cheerfully worked or volunteered to work this day every year since I've been at this bar earns me the right to take it off. That and seniority. So I am going to spend my T Day at my friend's place, helping his girlfriend in the kitchen, drinking beer, and watching football. (I actually will have a mini-vacation, as I am also taking Saturday off from The Q since Arizona plays Arizona State late Friday night, and I always have Sundays off, so I am only working Friday....which I thought about taking off, but figured that might be asking a bit much, and I could use the money.)

The bad news is that I am going to be taking advantage of many Black Friday specials.

Yes, I know I said I'd be working on Black Friday. But many websites have great deals for that day, and late Thursday night (i.e., after midnight) I am going to see what I can get. So I won't be dealing with crowds, making clerks cry, trampling anyone, or anything like that. Just shopping in my pajamas while drinking a beer.

And after all, Black Friday is not a major event down here in Key West, since we don't have any real malls, and no real major stores that would have BF specials. A lot of locals road trip it up to the mainland (mostly Miami and Lauderdale) to go shopping that day. Me, I'll stick to my computer, thank you very much!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Sonoma View Post
                    I'm actually skipping Black Friday this year. Normally I go, but avoid the stores/times with the doorbuster deals. I'll check out big yellow price tag's website on Turkey-day, before we head down to see Grandma, but there's one minor thing I have my eye on.
                    I haven't done the big stores for Black Friday in years, hate the crowds. Last year we tried something new, that turned out to be fun. I love thrift (charity) shops, huntlg for the weird & unusual, or just bargains on books & so forth.
                    They aren't crowded on Balck Friday, but many of them do have some good sales going on. And I know what money I spend goes for a good cause.

Madness takes it's toll....
                    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      I work on Black Friday...and it doesn't matter, because I'm in a bar
                      Tropical island or not, eventually those retail employees get off the clock and you'll be slammed. Maybe not SCs, but busy! =P

Comment

As someone responsible for sending the doorbusters to your stores, i would like to apologize and offer my condolences. If only because i dealt with that bs last week....

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          I work on Black Friday...and it doesn't matter, because...
                          ...I work in a hotel, and I refuse to set foot in any store on Black Friday.

SC
                          "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth Draco View Post
                            Tropical island or not, eventually those retail employees get off the clock and you'll be slammed. Maybe not SCs, but busy! =P
                            Not really.

First of all, being busy, or even slammed, is not the same as dealing with Black Friday, as many retail employees do.

Secondly, as I mentioned, even in the retail shops we have down here, BF is not a huge thing, due to the nature of the town. It just isn't. I am sure in Miami and Fort Lauderdale it is. But down here? No.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

I think they're starting to get desperate up here in the Great White North... Or more likely the stores have decided to piggy back on all the "Black Friday" advertising. But a lot of places in my city here in New Brunswick are having "Black Friday" sales.

For me, I have no plans ot go anywhere. Gotta work on Friday regardless; so I'll just be working then building my magic deck for FNM afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                              X