This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
    When I finally kicked my ex-gf out, I had to put her stuff in a storage locker.
    So, wait... you broke up with her, kicked her out, and yet paid money to keep her stuff?

You were far more generous than I might have been, in your shoes. I'd have set an ultimatum-- "Your stuff. Out of my home. Two weeks. Or it goes to Goodwill."
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Oh, update.

He came back yesterday to move out, (I was at a different site) and my co-worker said he was terribly impressed at the fact that I stood up do his dad.
      What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Quoth corwin02 View Post
        Quite frankly I do not understand the whole concept of long time renting of a storage unit. Why would you rent two of those to store stuff you apparently do not need and or miss.
        I can understand you need something short term (like storing something for a while when you are moving or living somewhere else) I just don't see the value in paying 100 bucks or so a month to use it as a shed.
        For the most part, I agree - people who store things for years and years, never use it or take anything out, usually after a while they don't even know what they have. Can't see the sense in it myself, either.

On the other hand, there are exceptions - storing heirloom furniture you don't really have room for but want to hang onto for your children, perhaps (though odds are, they won't want it, of course). Or storing things you do use, but not often - camping gear to use a few times a year, decorations if you go crazy decorating your house at Christmas, large bulky items for sports or hobbies that you dont' get to do but a few times a year. In those cases, it might be cheaper so rent storage than to move to a larger house/apartment.

Let's face it, we're a nation of hoarders here in the US. I read somewhere that something like 80-some percent of Americans don't have space for their car in their garage.

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
          So, wait... you broke up with her, kicked her out, and yet paid money to keep her stuff?

You were far more generous than I might have been, in your shoes. I'd have set an ultimatum-- "Your stuff. Out of my home. Two weeks. Or it goes to Goodwill."
          Depending on country/state/municipality, and depending on your habitation/relationship to the person, you can't legally give an ultimatum like that, so putting it in storage is the only safe thing to do to cover yourself from months and months of being drug through criminal/civil court.

I remember a few years back someone got tired of their deadbeat roommates stuff junking up the place because they hardly ever were around and put it outside on the curb so that they'd do something about it when they got home. In the time it took for the roommate to get back from wherever they were, half the stuff got stolen, the other half got rained on and ruined. The non-deadbeat roommate was liable for EVERYTHING.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            Depending on country/state/municipality, and depending on your habitation/relationship to the person, you can't legally give an ultimatum like that, so putting it in storage is the only safe thing to do to cover yourself from months and months of being drug through criminal/civil court.

I remember a few years back someone got tired of their deadbeat roommates stuff junking up the place because they hardly ever were around and put it outside on the curb so that they'd do something about it when they got home. In the time it took for the roommate to get back from wherever they were, half the stuff got stolen, the other half got rained on and ruined. The non-deadbeat roommate was liable for EVERYTHING.
            Well that sucks. Anything else I could say on the matter is better suited for Fratching.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

When I finally kicked my ex-gf out, I had to put her stuff in a storage locker.

Quoth Argabarga View Post

In a situation like this, assuming you've got contact info for your ex/deadbeat roomie, would you be off the hook if you put it in a storage locker, but when setting up the account provide both your info and the other person's, lock it with a combination lock, pay first and last month's rent, then send the person a registered letter "Your stuff is at Battleship self-storage at the corner of Hoarder Avenue and Gofuckyourself Street, unit G-4, the gate code is 123456, the combination for the unit's lock is 22-38-45, and rent is paid until date X. You have the choice of collecting it before then, continuing to rent the unit until you get your stuff out, or having anything you haven't removed by then auctioned off by the storage company for non-payment."?
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

IANAL but that's probably a lot lot LOT less likely to land you in any kind of trouble than leaving it curbside or throwing it in the trash. The problem with the above is because YOU took out the storage unit in YOUR name, you're still liable if YOU don't pay and the stuff gets tossed. The only thing you can do is keep it in storage with a running tab of costs and hopefully recover said costs from the debtor, probably only through civil court though.

The actual specifics of that case now that I remember it a bit better was that it was a deadbeat roomie who hadn't re-upped their lease, had left the house when it ran out, but left all their stuff behind with constant promises of "Yeah, I'll be by for it later" well, they already promised deadbeats room to the much nicer new tenant so they decided that fair's fair, we warned him and tossed the stuff on the crub.....

From a karmic standpoint? Good for them

From a legal standpoint, that's a no-no.

There was a trial and everything, it was in the student papers too as an example of how you shouldn't do anything like that without consulting a lawyer who knows rental law, because the "obvious" choice in these situations is usually very illegal.
                Last edited by Argabarga; 01-08-2013, 11:13 PM.
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

So the guy is a little upset he didn't get his deposit back?

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                    YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!
                    Dammit! You beat me to it!

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                      Let's face it, we're a nation of hoarders here in the US. I read somewhere that something like 80-some percent of Americans don't have space for their car in their garage.
                      Guilty. And I've actually spent a good part of this year downsizing. Pretty much the issue is my garage is terribly disorganized at the moment. I'm hoping to fix that soon. However, I want to turn my garage into a work station to refinish some of my furniture. If I park my pickup truck in the garage, I'll barely have enough room to move, and I would have to either back it in, or walk all the way around it to get into the kitchen.

Nah. Parking in the drive is just easier.

I told my ex something like this. After we split up, he didn't have room in his new place for all his stuff. So I let him keep it at the house until he could figure something out.

Five months later, it was still sitting there. And that really wasn't a huge deal, but I had given notice to the landlord and was moving out of state. So I called and told him. He still didn't move. So I called to tell him that if he didn't get the stuff by X date, I'd have no choice but to put it on the curb: I had to be out of the house.

He came and got it. I helped him move it to his new place. I really wasn't trying to be a bitch about it.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                        For the most part, I agree - people who store things for years and years, never use it or take anything out, usually after a while they don't even know what they have. Can't see the sense in it myself, either.

On the other hand, there are exceptions - storing heirloom furniture you don't really have room for but want to hang onto for your children, perhaps (though odds are, they won't want it, of course). Or storing things you do use, but not often - camping gear to use a few times a year, decorations if you go crazy decorating your house at Christmas, large bulky items for sports or hobbies that you dont' get to do but a few times a year. In those cases, it might be cheaper so rent storage than to move to a larger house/apartment.

Well mental issues aside my point is , you pay lets say 100 bucks a month for said storage , hence in 2 years or so you have paid 2400 bucks , and the stuff you kept in there has depreciated and or deteriorated and is probably not worth anything anymore (save maybe some sentimental value). I would just throw it out and buy new if I ever needed it (2400 bucks buys a lot of new stuff).

On the point of heirloom furniture, unless it is a 100 year old piece it won't be worth much and in a shed I doubt much good will come from it (yes I've seen climate controlled ones but most are just 3 walls and a door in a drafty wet climate) and if you put such an old piece in a shed you are better of selling it.

Not wanting to start a discussion here on the pro's and con's of a storage unit I was just expressing my amazement.

I general I clean up my house every 5 years and toss out everything that I have boxed up and haven't needed for 5 years.

Comment

I think the majority of storage units are climate controlled or at least well protected from the elements (so the temperature might change, but it's not going to get wet or dirty), at least in California.

I had all my stuff in storage for about 3 years, first when I was living in dorms, then when I was living in my parents' guest bedroom. Most of the stuff I have you can't buy new.
                          Curiously Lydean - curious interests of a curious person.

Comment

There was police involvement (mutual fisticuffs). However much I wanted to chuck her stuff, I was seriously constrained.
                            You were far more generous than I might have been, in your shoes.
                            Thank you, I think.
                            I'd have set an ultimatum-- "Your stuff. Out of my home. Two weeks. Or it goes to Goodwill."
                            I did give her a deadline to clear out her gear. Per my own lawyer's advice, I assisted in her complete move out in good faith.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

There was police involvement (mutual fisticuffs). However much I wanted to chuck her stuff, I was seriously constrained.
                              Thank you, I think.
                              I did give her a deadline to clear out her gear. Per my own lawyer's advice, I assisted in her complete move out in good faith.
                              Thanks for the clarification. In that case, you did everything the right way.

Comment

Dammit! You beat me to it!

I love that show. I don't care if it's faked or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X