X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth greensinestro View Post
    "Well, you all give Publix a bad name by going to rowdy parties,
    Unless they were all wearing their store uniforms, the boss has no right to say anything...he was probably just jealous he wasn't invited
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Thanks for the timely reminder to NOT walk out of work in uniform. I would LMAO if an SC got mad at me for not kissing their butt when shopping in the grocery store.

Comment

Quoth csdrone View Post
        Thanks for the timely reminder to NOT walk out of work in uniform. I would LMAO if an SC got mad at me for not kissing their butt when shopping in the grocery store.
        I had a job once where we were not allowed to bring a change of clothing onto the premises. We were required to arrive and leave in uniform. The "party line" answer to any complaints: "You can always change in your car."
        At least they changed their tune to "That's your problem" after I pointed out that encouraging people to commit an illegal act (indecent exposure) by changing clothes in public view, is also a crime.
        The weird thing about this place (it was a restaurant/bar) -- employees were allowed to come in off the clock and get tanked -- no charge. We weren't allowed to eat, though. Ordering food while off the clock was a big no-no that would result in termination.
        Very strange place to work.

Comment

Quoth Bonnie Bitch View Post
          The weird thing about this place (it was a restaurant/bar) -- employees were allowed to come in off the clock and get tanked -- no charge. We weren't allowed to eat, though. Ordering food while off the clock was a big no-no that would result in termination.
          So you couldn't come in with your friends on your day off and have dinner? But you could come in and drink...? huh?
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            So you couldn't come in with your friends on your day off and have dinner? But you could come in and drink...? huh?
            Lo these many years later, I too remain puzzled over that policy. The only thing I can come up with is that the owner (who created that policy) was an alcoholic himself, and within the fog of his Johnny Walker Red induced haze, he had an epiphany -- "if the employees eat at a table, that's one less table for paying customers. But if they stay at the bar, then they can get tanked, and who doesn't want to get tanked?"

Thank you for asking, because I, among many, had better things to do than hang out after-shift at work and get schnockered.
            It was just a weird place to be.

Comment

I had a job once where we were not allowed to bring a change of clothing onto the premises. We were required to arrive and leave in uniform. The "party line" answer to any complaints: "You can always change in your car."
              At least they changed their tune to "That's your problem" after I pointed out that encouraging people to commit an illegal act (indecent exposure) by changing clothes in public view, is also a crime.
              We had a guy at Publix who nearly got arrested for changing his clothes in the break room. He's lucky all that happened to him was get fired, because he was changing his clothes and stripped down naked, underwear and all, right as a cashier was coming up the stairs! From that point on, the store manager announced that anyone who was caught changing their clothes in the break room would be terminated immediately, and the police would be called. Now, I used to change my clothes only on Saturday nights when we stayed to clean the floors, and we did not start doing that until the cashiers went home. To this day, I still am not sure why he had to get naked just to change into his street clothes.
              Last edited by greensinestro; 04-01-2007, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                I still never understood why this guy felt he needed to take off his underwear to change his clothes.
                I just asked my "special friend," Jack, and he said, "Oh, Bonnie, he was just airing out his hoohah. Now, girl, are we going out tonight or staying in? If we stay in, I'll bring the movies and a lasagna."

Comment

We are not allowed to buy alcohol in uniform or gamble including lottery tickets.

As we are in uniform we are meant to represent the airline at all times Doesn't stop me having a good moan on my phone talking to my boyfriend on the bus home after work! I would be angry if a passenger complained about me when I wasn't at work.
                  No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Quoth Mr B Rabbit View Post
                    We also have a list of bars and other social places posted up where we're warned that we might not want to go because 'pupils go there'. I can sort of understand that one, as the last thing I want on a night out is to worry about word getting around the school that I was getting drunk on mead, but storture rack. The pupils are under eighteen, why should I have to worry about them being in a pub?
                    I live in a city that has something of a reputation for being weird, and if a person of authority like a cop or a teacher is found doing something out of character, nobody bats an eye. Good thing too... A few years back a friend of mine happened upon one of his professors from the local university at a downtown fetish club wearing a collar and a harness and not much else.
                    Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

I am loosing faith for humanity every day. It makes me sick to hear about all these jerks who take it upon themselves to pry into people's lives and complain to their jobs! If anybody ever tried that with me and I wasn't in uniform, I'd throw a bitch fit and tell them to F off because its really none of anybody's business what I am doing if I am off company time and not in my uniform.

Comment

I never walk around in uniform outside work, but apparently some of my collegues have gone down the pub in just a coat over their uniform... and no-one's ever cared. Same went for every other job I've had; in 2 of those jobs, the boss was right there when we were partying, so it's not like anyone could ever complain.
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

On a similar note, a few years ago I was visiting a friend of mine at his school. He was a boarder, and it was over the weekend. I had graduated the year before, so I was in college. We were outside, and I was having a ciggie (and he was standing there talking to me) when a prefect came up to me and demanded to know which school I go to. I bemusedly gave him the name of my college and asked him why.
                          "I'm going to report you to your principle for smoking" he raged. Now, please note: I'm in the GARDENS OUTSIDE SCHOOL GROUNDS. I'm not in a room or a building. It's after school hours.

So of course, I (politely) informed him that a) I'm not in high school, and I'm also over 18 and b) I'm not on school grounds and c) my friend isn't smoking, so if I hear that he gets in trouble for this, I'll be sure to mention to his principle about him hassling an adult on public property. He clammed up very quickly.

Truth be told, I was kinda flattered he thought I was still in highschool
                          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
                            I live in a city that has something of a reputation for being weird, and if a person of authority like a cop or a teacher is found doing something out of character, nobody bats an eye. Good thing too... A few years back a friend of mine happened upon one of his professors from the local university at a downtown fetish club wearing a collar and a harness and not much else.
                            Key West must be weird, or I must be jaded after living here so long, or both.

Because that story didn't phase me at all. And honestly, such a scenario not only COULD happen here, but often DOES.

They call it Key Weird for a reason, I guess.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              Key West must be weird, or I must be jaded after living here so long, or both.

Because that story didn't phase me at all. And honestly, such a scenario not only COULD happen here, but often DOES.
                              The only time anyone did bat an eye at a person doing something drastically out of character was when the police chief of a suburban town just outside Asheville was accused of killing his wife and somehow or another it became relevant to talk, in court, about his infantilism and how he liked to wear diapers when off the job.
                              Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

So you could drink for free, as much as you wanted, for free, but couldn't take a table, even though you'd have been a paying customer?
                                3 Basic rules for ordering food.
                                - Order from the menu.
                                - If you order something that will take some time to cook, then be prepared to wait.
                                - Don't talk about Fight Club.

Comment

Working...
                                X