This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
    Actually, "Born too loose" might be a correct statement, for a girl's tramp-stamp.
    Or one of adult Pooh XXX Bear's friends, that ass, He'ore.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Aside from all the peeves mentioned, another one that drives me nuts is 'cloth' instead of 'clothe'. I just get this visual of somebody dressed in ragged cloths instead of actual clothes.

On another message board I frequent, there's a poster who ALWAYS adds the extra 'o' to the word to. Her posts read "If you want too go too (a certain location, where giving details would identify which board I'm discussing)." I know it's not a typo, since all of her posts have this issue.
      Last edited by Sonoma; 03-12-2013, 03:44 AM.
      That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Someone in a Youtube comment had replied saying "Looser isn't even a real word."

Actually yeah, it is. What you mean is you meant loser not looser.

Comment

The one that confuses me is the 'educated' people who can't work out when to use "are" or "our". *boggle*
          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Sonoma View Post
            On another message board I frequent, there's a poster who ALWAYS adds the extra 'o' to the word to. Her posts read "If you want to go too (a certain location, where giving details would identify which board I'm discussing)." I know it's not a typo, since all of her posts have this issue.
            I wonder if this is a board I frequent, too. (Not that I recognize the poster you're referring to, but I frequent a couple of boards about a particular location.) I actually see the opposite of this much more frequently, though - writing to when clearly too is meant.

And I just heard another of my pet peeves on an episode of Castle. Would've went. Ugh.
            Last edited by siskaren; 03-11-2013, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
              Or like where and were.
              Don't get me started. The errors I see in the news are getting to be far too frequent. It's like there are editors anymore.
              Back around 2000, the local paper where I used to live introduced a Sunday magazine supplement. The very first one was about a local guy who was working with wild animals and had a TV show coming out. The first episode was to feature certain South American big cats.

Specifically, according to the article, it was going to feature lepers.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                For Americans:
                semibreve = whole note
                minim = half note
                crotchet = quarter note
                quaver = eighth note
                demiquaver = sixteenth note
                Shalom, THANK YOU! I was wondering, but was being too lazy to look it up for myself.

My pet peeve in the grammar area is the placement of the word "only."

Example: Given a choice, I'd only eat steak. vs Given a choice, I'd eat only steak.

In the first sentence, what else might I do with the steak...use it to make a dress a la Lady Gaga?

I try to let most things go by, especially when it's on a discussion board, as we are here to vent, and are not writing for professional journals.

If I'm writing a serious article, though, I do try to use proper grammar and spelling.
                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  On lose/loose... My daughter's friend had a tat on his arm: "Born to loose"... he wasn't into archery. At least they didn't double the "o" in to.
                  On a side story, I get to deliver to a tattoo parlor. One day when I was dropping off the mail one of the artists was asking a group of girls if they were sure of their choice. They were all acting a bit stuck up and when he asked a second time if they all agreed to the tat in question one of them got uppity and stated that they already said yes. In a tone that she probably thought he was stupid. I get up past them to grab out going mail and stop to look at the intricate vined word...casually asking pointing out that one of the words was misspelled.

The artist wanted to laugh and the gaggle of girls looked confused. It was a funny sad moment.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                    For Americans:
                    semibreve = whole note = 𝅝
                    minim = half note = 𝅗𝅥 (no idea what font contains those. I don't have one here either.)
                    crotchet = quarter note = ♩
                    quaver = eighth note = ♪
                    demiquaver = sixteenth note = ♬
                    Ahem....it's SEMIquaver!

You do not call a 32nd note a demidemiquaver, it's a demisemiquaver.
                    And if you want to go further it's a hemidemisemiquaver.....and a semi hemidemisemiquaver....
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
                      And I just heard another of my pet peeves on an episode of Castle. Would've went. Ugh.
                      Excuse my ignorance... What's wrong with would've went? Should it be would've gone?

I tend to give more leeway to dialogue on film/tv/plays etc, because speech does not follow strict grammar rules.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                        In my experience, breves are written as a semibreve flanked by pairs of vertical lines. And a "slur" that joins two notes of the same pitch is called a tie - so the two semibreves would be tied together to become equivalent to a breve.

Bizarrely enough, a lot of recent successful musicians are unable to read musical notation. They use modern "pattern" software instead, or play by ear, or just make it up as they go along.
                        I did 10 years of choir and still can't read music. I use the sheet music for the dynamics of the piece. I have good musical memory. give me the lyrics and let me listen to the music and 9 times out of ten, I'll be able to put it together.

Comment

Quoth PandaHat View Post
                          Excuse my ignorance... What's wrong with would've went? Should it be would've gone?

I tend to give more leeway to dialogue on film/tv/plays etc, because speech does not follow strict grammar rules.
                          Yep, would've gone.

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
                            Yep, would've gone.
                            Yeah, it's one of those rules that I intuitively know "would have gone" is correct and "would've went" is wrong, but for the life of me I can't tell you why. Looking on the web, though, a very nice article explains that the terms "would have" and "could have" are always followed by the past participle. "Went" is the simple past.

When in doubt, I try to substitute a different verb in the same tense and see how it sounds. Try for the irregulars to really see if it sounds wonky.

I would have was? ("to be" = been)...
                            I would have blew? ("to blow" - blown)...
                            I would have did? ("to do" = done) ...
                            I would have flew? ("to fly" = flown)...
                            I would have rang? ("to ring" = rung)

/end literary PSA
                            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

There was a sign posted at a college (forgot where) that said "Math 302 will not be held today because Professor Jones is il."

Under which someone wrote:

"[sic]"

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                                I would have did? ("to do" = done) ...
                                Well, o'course! We's all know that ya say "I woulda done did" in a sitch-ee-ashun like thayut! ^_^

Quoth Shalom View Post
                                Under which someone wrote:

"[sic]"
                                Brilliant.

More examples of obvious errors I have often seen...

"Lightening" (as in color) used to mean "Lightning" (the natural phenomenon) -- Link here. This one even became the name of a video game ("Thunder Force IV" on the Mega Drive/Genesis was renamed "Lightening Force" in the US)

"Hung" (on a wall) vs "Hanged" ("...by the neck until dead"). Similarly, "pled" vs "pleaded" (the latter refers to a plea offered in court, while the former generally does not)
                                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                                X