This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    "Hung" (on a wall) vs "Hanged" ("...by the neck until dead").
    "And they were right"

Comment

Another one I thought of is allowed and aloud.

Comment

I know the difference between there, their and they're. I work it out in my brain before time. And then pretty consistently I'll type/write their instead of there despite having identified the correct one before I began writing the word.

Super frustrating yo

Comment

Quoth PandaHat View Post
          I know the difference between there, their and they're. I work it out in my brain before time. And then pretty consistently I'll type/write their instead of there despite having identified the correct one before I began writing the word.

Super frustrating yo
          Yep, just today I caught myself typing there instead of they're. But that's the great thing about computers - you can fix your mistakes before anyone else sees them.

Comment

I will admit to make a few grammatical errors every now and then, but not the most basic ones, like those mentioned on this thread.

Does that mean I talk like a tard and my shit's all fucked up?
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              I will admit to make a few grammatical errors every now and then, but not the most basic ones, like those mentioned on this thread.

Does that mean I talk like a tard and my shit's all fucked up?
              Nope. The occasional mistake is fine, and even the best can screw up now and then.

It's the people who routinely do it, and don't care they're doing it, and respond with lines like "ain't no grades on Twitter"* to people calling them on it, who are the tards whose shit's all fucked up.

* - Actual response I got from an idiot on Twitter, responding to my angry live-tweets during WWE's Royal Rumble this year. He mocked my being upset at the result of the Rumble itself, I retorted angrily and pointed out that his grammar was fucked up in the process. He retorted that "there's no grades on Twitter" and a few other lines. I promptly responded with, "Yeah, you're an idiot. #Blocked." Mature of me? No. But, as I later tweeted: "Just because "there's no grades on Twitter" doesn't excuse you from using proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. #Standards."
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I play in forum-based rpgs, and I make the occasional mistake... we all do and it's no big deal. I even make exception for portrayal of accents or poor speaking on the part of the character: if it's in quotation marks I give it a pass no matter how badly it's mangled because that could be how the character speaks.

It's when people have a regular and total disregard for spelling, grammar, and punctuation on even the most basic level that I start ranting to have them either step up their game or GTFO.
                Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Drove past a truck repair shop today... They specialize in "axel" work. I guess they're for the icefisherpeople.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Something I encounter in railway simulation circles is "brakes" versus "breaks". One means "to destroy", and the other means "to slow down or stop". You'd be surprised how many people - some of whom *should* know better - pick the wrong one.

I will however admit to using "it's" consistently, even in places where the grammarians say "its" should be used. I defend it by saying it's the possessive suffix to "it", which is not true for "his" (from "he") or "her" (from "she").

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
                      Back around 2000, the local paper where I used to live introduced a Sunday magazine supplement. The very first one was about a local guy who was working with wild animals and had a TV show coming out. The first episode was to feature certain South American big cats.

Specifically, according to the article, it was going to feature lepers.
                      The main difference being, lepers can change their spots. It's called necrosis.
                      Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
                      It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

I am the very model of an amateur grammarian.

In view of the topic of discussion, perhaps someone can point out the error referred to in the following dialog.

One dark night a man was following a dark path.

"Help! help!"

He walks over to a well.

Voice in well, "Help! Help!"

Man, "What happened? Who are you?"

Voice in well, "I am a grammarian and, due to my ignorance of the way, have fallen into this deep well in which I am all but immobilised."

Man, "Hold friend, and I'll fetch a ladder."

Voice in well, "One moment please! Your grammar and diction are faulty. Please be good enough to amend them."

Man, "Well... if that is so much more important than the essentials... You had best stay where you are until I have learned to speak properly."

Man walks away.

Voice in well, "Help! Help!"
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                          Use of "loose" when "lose" was intended (or vice-versa) drives me to take big, ragged bites out of whatever I'm reading.
                          [QUOTE=EricKei;1125689]"Lightening" (as in color) used to mean "Lightning" (the natural phenomenon) -- Link here./QUOTE]

I saw both of those in a comic book the other night. That was only one reason I stopped reading it.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          Along with "loose" vs "lose" and "affect" vs "effect", I would have to say that one of my biggest pet peeves with "confused words" has got to be "breath" vs "breathe".
                          I always have to double check this one. Every single time. Which is why I am a big believer in editors.
                          Curiously Lydean - curious interests of a curious person.

Comment

IA -- while I am not sure, I can guess...(assuming that the objection concerns 'spoken' dialogue; the written form is missing a comma or three).

'Hold [COMMA, DAMMIT!] friend' -- this may be attributable to dialect, but perhaps 'Hold on, friend' or something else suggesting that the grammarian have patience would work better.

'Fetch' is fine, though it sounds like a colloquialism

I was more concerned with the grammarian -- as the 'and' in his line where he explains his situation separates two distinct thoughts/clauses, should he have not said 'I have fallen' ...?
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The story starts in the past tense (the man was) but then progresses in the present (he walks)?

Fetch seems to be an acceptable verb, but yeah, there should have been some more commas in that story.
                              Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

EE - I think "was walking" is in Past Perfect Progressive. Again, I am not 100% certain.
                                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                                X