This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mr bates

I knew a kid in high school who's name was charlie bates. He was nicknamed Master Bates.

Comment

Quoth freaktard View Post
      Learn from her mistake: If your parents name you "Gay," do not marry a man whose last name is "Love."
      There is a British tv gardener called Gay Search.

I went to school with a lad who insisted on shortening his name to Tony. He really didn't want to be A. Prat!
      Good customers are as rare as Latinum. Treasure them. ~ The 57th Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition.

Comment

One of my ancestors was Love Moore...
        And another could have been addressed as Tony Woolf...
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My ex wanted to name our youngest daughter Omega. I refused (initials OB mean anything to you?). He decided on Jasmine (it was his turn to choose a girls name). My mother didn't like Jasmine. So I sweetly said 'Okay We'll use C's first choice." With the trained reflexes of a mother of 6, she asked suspiciously, "What was that?" "Omega." "You know 'Teskie', Jasmine is a beautiful name for a little girl!"
          You should never name your kid something they will be tormented for in school. Kids are nasty in packs. just like mobs.

Comment

I feel their pain. I have an unfortunate last name- Nope. I had a music teacher all through elementary who poked fun at me about it. Of course, he gave all his students silly nicknames if they had unusual names, but it made me mad every time he called me "Amber Yup."

I ended up sitting in the corner of his class a lot.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
              You should never name your kid something they will be tormented for in school. Kids are nasty in packs. just like mobs.
              Oh hell yes.

My last name starts with S. I named my oldest son Aaron after my wife's great-grandfather, but did not give him any middle name. Reason being, if he'd had one, it would have been Samuel, and you can't give someone the name Aaron Samuel S-------, as he'd never be able to get anything with his initials on it. Kids are little bastards, take it from me.
              Last edited by Shalom; 10-12-2009, 12:45 AM. Reason: it was her great-grandfather

Comment

I have had 'Annie bo Bannie' and stuff like that, plus for some reason they liked to make fun of my last name (It is sounded EXACTLY like the planet in Anne McCafferys' dragon books).

Then again those kids made fun of everything I did no matter what. I could be walking along and they did.

My given names are all royalty though, french and english. and scottish last name, born on an irish-themed holiday, in a city that has a native american name, hehee.
                Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                  Reason being, if he'd had one, it would have been Samuel, and you can't give someone the name Aaron Samuel S-------, as he'd never be able to get anything with his initials on it.
                  But he WOULD have the high score on all of the arcade games, even the ones he's never played.

On a related note, I found out today that I have a new 2nd cousin with the name of Kiker. Yes, pronounced like kike, although the mother was presumably clueless about it's origins.
                  I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                    On a related note, I found out today that I have a new 2nd cousin with the name of Kiker. Yes, pronounced like kike, although the mother was presumably clueless about it's origins.
                    According to a book I read (The Joys of Yiddish by Leo Rosten, if I remember the name correctly), it derived from illiterate jews coming through Ellis Island. When required to sign the immigration forms, they were instructed to put a cross if they couldn't write (or use western letters). The cross is (and I learned something here) a bad symbol in said culture, and they used a circle (kikel) instead.

This bit of trivia brought to you over breakfast and through blinking sleep out of the eyes.

Rapscallion

Comment

I know it's an old thread, but I just reconnected with a HS classmate named "April Dawn Falls".

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                        According to a book I read (The Joys of Yiddish by Leo Rosten, if I remember the name correctly), it derived from illiterate jews coming through Ellis Island.
                        An update, now that I remember:

Turns out the child is not in fact named Kiker; he is actually named Riker--pronounced like the second-in-command on the USS Enterprise.

Again, the mother was presumably clueless about it's origins.
                        I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

My parents had threatened to name me Matthew Mark if I had been a boy. Think of some of the gospels and you can figure out our last name.

There's an OB/GYN in Las Cruces named Dr. Love.
                          My grandfather's urologists name was Dr. Dickey.
                          There's a dentist here in ABQ named Dr. Hurt. He uses that in his commericals, "It's just my name, not my intention."

Quoth freaktard View Post
                          When I was in High School (or maybe it was Junior High, I'm not sure, it was that long ago ), we had a school nurse who had an unfortunate name which was her own doing.

Learn from her mistake: If your parents name you "Gay," do not marry a man whose last name is "Love."
                          Or at least keep your maiden name....

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                          I have had 'Annie bo Bannie' and stuff like that, plus for some reason they liked to make fun of my last name (It is sounded EXACTLY like the planet in Anne McCafferys' dragon books).
                          Now that is a cool name!
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

In high school, our security guard (for back in those innocent days, we only needed one for a school of 4,000) was named Mr. Flowers. And yes, he looked exactly like Hightower from Police Academy.

----

When I used to handle the billing for Crappy Landscaping in 1992, everyone, everyone had at least a first and last name. But some of the delinquent accounts (i.e. the ones going way back to before I started working there) had... strange names. (No, not Captain Strange either.)

One of them was... Dongo. Just "Dongo". Was it a first or last name? Was there a celebrity in the midst of our lawnmowers? That would explain why he/she/it was late paying whatever it was.

So, one day when I had nothing to do, The Bosshole (tm) asked me to call everyone who was late and ask kindly if they were planning on addressing the matter. (He tried to avoid collection agencies by being one himself.)

So... pick up the phone, press some buttons... ready with my silly voice...

"Hello?"
                            "Hellllloooooo..... is this.... DONGO?"

I was informed that it was.

Incredibly, I don't remember the rest of that exchange, or even the gender of the person at the other end of the phone. What I do remember is that I couldn't be serious about asking Dongo to pay up.
                            Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Had a guy in my platoon in the Army named Gimmy Head. Pronounced Jimmy of course.
                              ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                                There's an OB/GYN in Las Cruces named Dr. Love.
                                My grandfather's urologists name was Dr. Dickey.
                                There's a dentist here in ABQ named Dr. Hurt. He uses that in his commericals, "It's just my name, not my intention."
                                There's a Doctor Rasch who works the overnight shift at the ER in a hospital near where I used to do overnights in the pharmacy. I told him with a name like that he ought to have been a dermatologist.

(Someone ought to call his attention to these fora. I bet he's got some awesome tales to tell, subject to HIPAA restrictions of course...)

Comment

Working...
                                X