This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
    Has anyone else heard about Windows 10's security issues?
    I already knew about this 'feature' having a windows phone and made sure that it was switched off when I did the set up when I installed.
    Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Apparently there's a way to prevent the auto-broadcast...but it's stupid. You need to add a specific "opt out" string to the end of your SSID name. Dear Lawdy.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

My desktop is bugging me to update already. Nothankyou (if it allowed me to burn a DVD and play around with Win10 on a VM before committing I might, but...). I told mom about the password-sharing and how to opt out and she said "You are not renaming the network, we already have enough problems with this thing".

Given that 'feature', I find the "They won't have to grow up with passwords or obsess about security" ads particularly hilarious. (of course, now the hacker in me is thinking about that...)
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I had Windows 10 installed for all of an evening before I went back to 8.1. Why? It wasn't reading any of my removable media correct - that 1TB external drive that was empty? According to Win10 it was full. That 16GB usb thumbdrive that was also empty? Again, according to Win10 it was full. I went through all my various thumbdrives of differing sizes and Win10 read them ALL as being full, regardless of whatever was on them. Oh, and I couldn't access anything that was saved on them.

And this is before hearing about the security issues...ugh.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            Given that 'feature', I find the "They won't have to grow up with passwords or obsess about security" ads particularly hilarious. (of course, now the hacker in me is thinking about that...)
            I hate that advert!

Personally I will be looking at trying to put 7 on my new machine if I cave and decide that my CPU on the laptop heating up to about 90C when gaming is bad enough to give in and buy a new one....
            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

My dad already installed Win10...and called me to complain (10 minute boot time among other problems). I helped him the best I could (mostly weblinks; I'm not touching the OS with a 10-meter cattleprod, if we absolutely need to upgrade it'll be Linux). I didn't find out about the security issues until after getting off the phone...he'll be thrilled I'm sure
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

A question for those of you that have installed Windows 10 over an earlier OS. Did you have to reinstall any of your applications, such as MS Office? I have not received my download yet, but I use MS Office 2007 and do not look forward to reinstalling it and 8 years worth of updates.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                  My desktop is bugging me to update already. Nothankyou (if it allowed me to burn a DVD and play around with Win10 on a VM before committing I might, but...)
                  There is a media creation tool for Windows 10, lets you make bootable media on a thumb drive (needs 6GB), or an ISO to burn to disk.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Comment

Ahhhh.. I thought you had to actually install win10 first to use that tool. Glad to see I was mistaken. ^_^
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Important information about Windows 10: http://imgur.com/gallery/I8u2G

If you change any hardware after the free upgrade, you have to buy a new copy of the OS? https://imgur.com/gallery/8OJ4t

Comment

More info on disabling specific privacy-invasion "features":

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...tag=TREd47db54

On Shadow's second link -- I'm hoping the tech the guy spoke with was misinformed. The comments are indicating that MS goes by your Motherboard/BIOS for this, as it always has. Here's hoping that it's still the case. One guy even said he changed his RAM since installing Win10 and it made no difference.
                        Last edited by EricKei; 08-05-2015, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Now see, this is a perfect example of the rhetoric that's going around that I'm waiting fro cooler heads to prevail first.

Well here's an interesting perspective on it.

Last edited by EricKei; 08-06-2015, 12:40 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
                          I AM the evil bastard!
                          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Another article about security settings (includes a minor clarification about the wifi sharing weirdness): http://www.lifehacker.com/what-windo...ally-172226722

Just as a pre-emptive heads-up for all : If you wanna talk about these odd settings, how to disable them, express how much of a clusterf--- this is...? Feel free. If you wanna debate whether MS should have been doing this crap, or their motivations/justifications for doing so (e.g., "It was free, what did you expect?")? head on over to Fratching.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress
                            Last edited by EricKei; 08-06-2015, 03:28 AM.

Comment

I'm downloading Windows 10 for my PC now! I'm so happy to finally get the upgrade!
                              cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

My husband made sure Win 10 got installed on my computer. I won't know if I like it or not until September since I'm in Alaska and the computer is in Texas. He seems pretty happy with it so far.
                                Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Working...
                                X