Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a chip onto the downside of Windows 10, I spent roughly six hours yesterday trying to recover a failed Windows 10 upgrade before having to wipe the C: drive and reinstall Windows 7. I can't begin to say how much I despise that it's near impossible to enter safemode booting without ALREADY BEING ABLE TO GET INTO WINDOWS.

Then again, I think it had crapped itself so vigorously that it didn't even know where Windows was any more. -_-

And as we told my girlfriend's father (again): Ask us if it's a good idea before saying 'OK' to installing this stuff.

Comment

I have just wasted nearly this whole weekend with installing win10. I burned a dvd with the windows media creation tool. It froze on the four blue squares of the windows logo. I then created a bootable usb stick that I couldn't get to boot (even with changing boot options)
      Finally ran the setup.exe from the dvd from within windws7, and then got the error that although I am running x64 bit win7, x64 win10 wont run on my computer because my processor does not have LAHF/SAHF, or prefetchw.
      I then played around and created a x32 install disk, and windows10 installed, although I can't activate it with my x64 code.
      I did set it up as a dual boot with Win7, and XP, and that worked nicely, so at least I can have a play with it.
      The rest of the weekend I spent researching my motherboard (which should run x64) and what compatible processor I can drop into it. Mb is 2009, which is getting older, and the current (3.0GHz dual processor) is a 2005.
      If all my research is correct I have picked up a slightly better processor spec wise that is not really that much of an upgrade, from ebay for about $20 which should run win10x64 without my having to either upgrade my computers cpu, mb and ram, or downgrading expensively by purchasing a x32 bit license.

Comment

As a HIPAA compliance officer for my office, the personal data flood going back to Microsoft is extremely disturbing to me. I've been going to different websites trying to find all the ways you have to opt-out and I'm not liking what I'm seeing (13 control panel pages plus a call to the customer service desk just to get most of them? Ridiculous!).

My problem is that I can't see how this could possibly be HIPAA-compliant if they're claiming the right to be able to not just see when and to whom you're sending emails, but the content of them as well. So much of their data collection would be a violation if the HIPAA and HiTECH acts that there's no way I'm going to install this on the office computers until I see something addressing this massive issue.
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
          Has anyone else heard about Windows 10's security issues? One of its features tries to share the password to any wi-fi network you've connected to with your Facebook friends, and the ToS states:

(Caps for emphasis)
          I double checked my network settings . . . they are set to Private instead of Home (which is what we had it set before when we were running 7.) Hopefully we won't have to worry about our password being given out . . . my brother apparently got a new network password for the Windows Home Group when his PC upgraded (he did his upgrade the night before I did mine) and I had to call him out here last night to type in the home group password because I couldn't read his damn scrawl. Grrrr . . . .

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
          I had Windows 10 installed for all of an evening before I went back to 8.1. Why? It wasn't reading any of my removable media correct - that 1TB external drive that was empty? According to Win10 it was full. That 16GB usb thumbdrive that was also empty? Again, according to Win10 it was full. I went through all my various thumbdrives of differing sizes and Win10 read them ALL as being full, regardless of whatever was on them. Oh, and I couldn't access anything that was saved on them.

And this is before hearing about the security issues...ugh.
          We ran into Windows 10 not recognizing the DVD RW drive on my brother's desktop yesterday. Went online and while waiting in line for online Chat w/a MS tech, I browsed through Bing and found the Windows Message Boards and this question had been already addressed.

Turned out all I had to do was copy and paste a command line into the Command Prompt (using Administrator mode) and reboot. We now have the D: drive showing up now.

Now he's crying b/c the damn sleever is down on Microsoft b/c he can't use the Edge browser and ran in here a few minutes ago to see if mine was working.

I don't know, don't care . . . I use Firefox, not MS and quit bugging the crap outta me!!!!! It's on MS's end, they're working on it and there's NOTHING I CAN DOOOO!!!!!!

This, unfotunately, has been my weekend at home. Anyone want to trade places?
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

On networks -- apparently the only way to guarantee that the network doesn't give its own password out is to add "_optout" (or something similar) to the SSID from the wireless router itself. The Public/private/etc settings only affect your access, iirc.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              On networks -- apparently the only way to guarantee that the network doesn't give its own password out is to add "_optout" (or something similar) to the SSID from the wireless router itself. The Public/private/etc settings only affect your access, iirc.
              I think that's how they described it.

Then I discovered I had no sound on the laptop . . . now it's fixed apparently. After restarting, Windows did an update, which then caused the desktop to continue to load.

Then, after hitting the power button, loading up Disk 1 of my Windows 7 recovery set, and pressing F8 while the Toshiba splash screen loaded, I started hearing sound.

I am now thinking maybe one of the kitten hit a button on the keyboard . . . they are constantly jumping on the desk and crossing the keyboard to get to the window (and back out again.)

Now the desktop seems okay and I've now got sound again . . . went to Youtube to play a music video and actually heard the music.

This is one strange OS. My recommendation rating has tanked already from a 5 to a 3 and it's only been 24 hours.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Mine updated and I lost my cursor for a week, couldn't find the touchpad driver, thank heavens I had a touchscreen laptop but still. It finally updated drivers today and I have my cursor back!

Comment

Mine wants to update...I didn't do anything. Only thing I can think of is that mom went to use the comp for some reason, saw 'updates available" and hit yes (M$ is now touting the upgrade as an "important update" for the current OS).

Trying to download kills our bandwidth; I'm staving it off until I can find a flash drive to relegate it to. Not letting 10 touch my desktop until I play around with it on dad's machine.

(the upside is, if 10 truly hoses things I don't have a lot on this disk that I care about and haven't set up separate OS and data drives yet)
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

A couple of things I've found out about Win10:

1. It's ALWAYS transferring data, looking for updates. I forget how, but there's a way to turn that off.
                    2. There are some other things you need to disable, too.

Otherwise, I like Win10 so far.
                    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

If you have NOT yet moved to win10: Go here for info on how to disable the notifier TSR completely (you may have to create the registry key in question and then add the DWORD to it). I tried it and it works.

mjr - If you're on 10 home, I'm not sure you can. For Pro? May have to google that. Let us know if you find anything that actually *works*
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        mjr - If you're on 10 home, I'm not sure you can. For Pro? May have to google that. Let us know if you find anything that actually *works*
                        I remember turning off several features. I'm at the office right now, but when I get home I'll check my browser favorites and see. I put some stuff in there that might be helpful.
                        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

What the hell. Time for something 10 is doing right

http://www.lifehacker.com/windows-10...ave-1723617404

Comment

I'm about to start online college classes that require software disks, do you guys think it would be a good idea to upgrade to 10 now or is there a possibility the software might not work correctly?
                            The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Husband put Windows 10 on his hp yesterday. He really doesn't like it & wanted to take it off. Unfortunately, it seems to be stuck in a loop. He did get it to shut down finally and it's coming back up but still in the loop. He wants to get it into safe mode. It has come up saying Critical Error & that the start menu & contains are not working. Anyone have any ideas?
                              Last edited by Lovecats; 08-12-2015, 07:57 PM.
                              "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                                Anyone have any ideas?
                                It may be this problem, and the link gives step-by-step instructions on fixing it.
                                The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Working...
                                X