Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you like to reconsider your answer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jack View Post
    A lot of rogueware is bundled with rootkits, so even if they obeyed you and stuck to work-related sites on that computer, the rogueware may have recurred by itself if you only removed what you saw on the surface. Did you use MBAM to quick scan and remove, then check for rootkits with gmer and Process Explorer?
    I use MBAM in full-scan mode. That has fixed the vast majority of my problems so far. I may run something else from my collection of malware-scrubbers if that doesn't work. I'm not familier with gmer or Process Explorer, but I'll look into them. I'm always up for useful tools.

UPDATE to OP: It turns out the virus the user had was a nasty one. It seems to have eaten the file association table somehow. I could still open things by going through some more complicated methods, but simple clicking was fouled up. Even self-installing .EXEs couldn't open themselves, so I supect registry tomfoolery. I've taken her computer to rebuild, as that will be faster and better in the long run considering the damage I've found so far. I'm also going to set her up on the proxy server with fairly severe lockdown settings.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Rogueware lately has been screwing with the .exe file association. Just merge the .reg files for affected file types from here: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Though if you're already going to nuke and pave that's probably certain. It's just that I get paid to do this stuff without that option. :P

Comment

Quoth Jack View Post
        Rogueware lately has been screwing with the .exe file association. Just merge the .reg files for affected file types from here: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
        Ah, that will be useful going forward. Thanks!

I already have the computer reloaded and set up. Off to the site to plug it back up!
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Why not just give her a 10-key calculator and say, This is what you can use!

Cutenoob

PS Send out a memo sometime in the future reminding users Surfing Internet While Working Is Not Cool. And Lock when you Step Away from Desk.
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
            And Lock when you Step Away from Desk.
            Or do what <supervisor> at <cable company> did, send an email from the tech who didn't lock their computer not 15 minutes after being told to start doing so to the area manager with the email subject: "I love you!!!", or a similar embarrassing email. :-P

To the supervisor's credit, the tech never left his workstation without locking it again. This only worked because the area manager was a prankster himself, recognized the email for what it was, and played along.
            Coworker: Distro of choice?
            Me: Gentoo.
            Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
              Or do what <supervisor> at <cable company> did, send an email from the tech who didn't lock their computer not 15 minutes after being told to start doing so to the area manager with the email subject: "I love you!!!", or a similar embarrassing email. :-P.
              We do that all the time. My personal favourite was the prank email (complete with the 'senders' usual spelling errors) asking for empty crisp (chips) packets in their intray for a charity collection

It took them a good couple of weeks to realise why they had so much rubbish in their tray!
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Oh that's delightfully evil. I'm going to do that to the next tech I wander by in the call center who's left his workstation unlocked. :-D
                Coworker: Distro of choice?
                Me: Gentoo.
                Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  UPDATE to OP: It turns out the virus the user had was a nasty one. It seems to have eaten the file association table somehow. I could still open things by going through some more complicated methods, but simple clicking was fouled up. Even self-installing .EXEs couldn't open themselves, so I supect registry tomfoolery. I've taken her computer to rebuild, as that will be faster and better in the long run considering the damage I've found so far. I'm also going to set her up on the proxy server with fairly severe lockdown settings.
                  That sounds a lot like the one that hit us a while ago, and STILL rears it's ugly head every few days. Our default action is to nuke and reload. Most of our computers have images that make it fairly quick though. When it comes to specialized stuff, they have to sit powered on overnight so SCCM can do the installs.

Or do what <supervisor> at <cable company> did, send an email from the tech who didn't lock their computer not 15 minutes after being told to start doing so to the area manager with the email subject: "I love you!!!", or a similar embarrassing email. :-P
                  Heh. This would happen every so often back when I worked at a mutual fund company. An IT tech would leave his desk unlocked (which was against policy due to rights issues) and someone would put out an email offering to buy pizza for the entire department.

Eric the Grey
                  In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

One of my cow-orkers spends alot of time on Facebook. My boss wandered past while said CW was out making a delivery run, noticed that he'd left it logged in, and posted a status message that said something like "I FEEL BLOATED LIKE I'M GETTING MY PERIOD".

Note that CW is male.

He doesn't do that anymore.

As for drive-by virusing (is that even a word?) I have one site I like to read which is chronic for that. (erstories.net, highly recommended if you like emergency room humor, but only if you have good AV protection.) They've been trying to track down which adserver is feeding these things for months now. Just today they served me a PDF that would have done God knows what, had not the AV (Symantec Corporate) snagged it. Several months ago we got Vundo from them, which was lots of fun removing. A good protection against rogue PDF files, besides the obvious of keeping Acrobat updated, is having your browser set to ask you what to do with a PDF each time one is loaded. If it's something you want to see, you tell it to go ahead and display it; if you weren't expecting a PDF, then you take extra precautions with it, like saving it with a different extension (how about .troj ?) so it won't do anything harmful in case someone clicks on it.

(edit: better yet, not saving the damn thing at all...)
                    Last edited by Shalom; 04-11-2010, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Good advice. I don't let my system do anything without my ok first.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                      X