This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keylogger Software?

Anyone know of any good keylogging software out there? My boss has become convinced that our receptionist is on FB and other sites instead of working. We can't block FB or similar sites because there are times we legitimately use them for research.
    A crisis is a problem you can't control. Drama is a problem you can, but won't. - Otter

I'm not up on the latest keyloggers, but it may be easier just to install a VNC or other such remote assistance server on it so you can log in and see what's happening instead of looking over log files. Some software designed for this purpose can be made invisible to the user.

Comment

If your company is using a proxy or firewall server, you should be able to pull the logs from that.

Or, wait until she leaves for the day and pull her browser history.
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
        Or, wait until she leaves for the day and pull her browser history.
        One of our now ex employees taught her how to clear her IM and internet history which is why the boss wants desktop monitoring or key logging...
        A crisis is a problem you can't control. Drama is a problem you can, but won't. - Otter

Comment

I am not a fan of solving personnel issues with technology.

If she is doing her job, completing assignments in a timely manner and not disrupting the office, let her use FB.

If she is not doing her job, assignments are not getting done, and she is disrupting the office, you already have grounds for termination.

Otherwise, Google "MS windows activity logging"
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
            I am not a fan of solving personnel issues with technology.

If she is doing her job, completing assignments in a timely manner and not disrupting the office, let her use FB.

If she is not doing her job, assignments are not getting done, and she is disrupting the office, you already have grounds for termination.

Otherwise, Google "MS windows activity logging"
            She has ADHD and uses that as her reason for not getting things done. When boss walks by her desk he hears the click of a mouse and notices a new screen popping up (i.e., our intranet page or outlook) and would just like confirmation that there is an issue.

Comment

Your boss FIRST has to double check that there is an AUP in place and already signed. If there is NOT one, she has a partial leg to argue "noooobody toooold me and it's nooot in wrrriiiiiting"

First thing I'd do is update the AUP and spam everyone in the company, having signatures by End Of Sept, or Sept 15.

Then boss could write her up/document the misbehavior.

Before the keylogger, I'd install VNC and do a stealth watch/record of the person. I do think VNC can do user/client recordings. Also, you could set her IP address to a permanent/static one, and then gather info from router logs on what that IP is hitting.

I really DON'T recommend using keyloggers. Because, what if she's checking her bank account during lunchtime? Is her bank info actually any of the Manager's business? And most often, keyloggers are NOT just local installs with logs. They're part of trojans, being a backbone for a bot-net.

I think your boss is actually making a mistake on this. If a keylogger is implemented, without a change in code to stop it from chatting with the mothership, it may then infect the rest of the network. Which then would require a LOT of work to clean out the rest of the PC's etc. So is it worth having a network risk, which might cost 2 hours per pc to clean....at a shop rate of $75 (external) or 3 hours at rate of $15 (internal) [arbitrary numbers, just use the formula please]

Hope you can get the boss offa this idea.
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                I really DON'T recommend using keyloggers. Because, what if she's checking her bank account during lunchtime? Is her bank info actually any of the Manager's business? And most often, keyloggers are NOT just local installs with logs. They're part of trojans, being a backbone for a bot-net.
                A keylogger is just a type of program. There are perfectly legitimate keyloggers that are used for security purposes in businesses everyday. Here's one that I was evaluating for my workplace, actually (it was decided we could already get enough useful information without the it, for now). Not every one is part of a virus, any more than every virus scanner is a front for someone trying to scare you into paying them money.

As to the bank account arguement, if she's doing it on a business computer, they have every right to look at what is done on that computer. The courts have backed this up almost 100% of the time. Never do anything on your work computer you don't want the bosses to see. Save it for home.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  A keylogger is just a type of program. There are perfectly legitimate keyloggers that are used for security purposes in businesses everyday. Here's one that I was evaluating for my workplace, actually (it was decided we could already get enough useful information without the it, for now). Not every one is part of a virus, any more than every virus scanner is a front for someone trying to scare you into paying them money.

As to the bank account arguement, if she's doing it on a business computer, they have every right to look at what is done on that computer. The courts have backed this up almost 100% of the time. Never do anything on your work computer you don't want the bosses to see. Save it for home.
                  On the bank account idea; I know that the standard is "work pc's and info on them are OURS not YOURS" but was concerned about "if the keylogger is not a legit one and spreads, wouldn't that hurt the other users?" Even though the work pc isn't authorized for personal use, there still is a bit of usage in that subject - and there would be collateral damage to other users in the network.

I just think there is a better way to do this, instead of a key logger.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                    On the bank account idea; I know that the standard is "work pc's and info on them are OURS not YOURS" but was concerned about "if the keylogger is not a legit one and spreads, wouldn't that hurt the other users?" Even though the work pc isn't authorized for personal use, there still is a bit of usage in that subject - and there would be collateral damage to other users in the network.

I just think there is a better way to do this, instead of a key logger.
                    There are many stories on this site bitterly complaining that people know co-workers aren't doing their jobs and are highly suspected of playing around on the internet and doing personal stuff. It's always talked about that if only bosses could see proof of said co-workers actions surely they would be reprimanded or fired. I am happy to have a boss who thinks something is going on and takes action, instead of shrugging their shoulders and heaping more work on the people who actually do their jobs.

The reason I was asking on here for suggestions was that I want a legit business program. I don't like googling "key logger" or "desktop monitoring software" because I want a program that has been used and recommended by people who know what their talking about, not potential viruses and trojans.

Comment

Well, My GoogleFu works fine.

If you use the word Enterprise, it helps slough off the illegitimate keyloggers.

Try this.
                      http://www.keylogger123.com/

Comment

Wait I don't get this, we have people complaining that bosses won't do something to curb coworkers not doing their taskes. Now we have a boss who wants to curb a employee into doing their job and there is a problem with this?

Comment

Aethian, it's not the idea of "make them work", more like There Are Other Ways Besides Keyloggers.

Comment

http://www.xrayapp.com/trivialproxy/

Run this on another machine, and configure the suspect machine's proxy settings to go through it.

Comment

Or you could trace the port back to the switch and do a port-mirror to a PC running Wireshark or some other packet sniffer.

Just another option, though a more techie sort of deal.

B
                              "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                              I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Working...
                              X