Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd children's names (odd names of children, not names of odd children to clarify)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A co-worker asked me to sign a couple of books for her nephews. I brought a couple in to the office the next day, found a reliable pen, and asked, "What're their names?"

"Dalton and Colt," she said.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
      When you've chosen a name, read it out loud. See if anything leaps out that makes you go NO!NO!
      Don't be like Mr and Mrs Peacock,who really wanted to call their son Drew and did not do this...
      Also pay attention to initials. I'd really liked the name Patricia Marie if I'd had a girl (which I didn't so it was never an issue.) The reason this could have been an issue is that my last name begins with the letter S.
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

There are lots of girl's names I really like,so I'm rather inclined to give it to my child regardless of whether they're male or female. Well if people can have non-gender-specific children or give their child a unisex name,then why not?

>> into tangent >> Why's it become PMS in American English?Here it's pretty much always still PMT.
        PMT incidentally is a transport company in the Potteries.Its colours are creamy yellow with a red stripe down the middle.As teenagers,we found this hilarious...
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

There's apparently a whole thread on Reddit of "Worst baby names" or something like that.

This article has a few of them.

Working in schools, I surprisingly did NOT encounter a lot of weird names, even if I worked in the more "bogan" schools (I worked in one for a while as a student teacher). The worst I got were Pierah, Fern, Phoenix and Douglas (Fern and Douglas you don't see a lot of nowadays, hence me finding them odd) and those were from a Steiner school.

Out of the sole "bogan" school I worked at, in my little class of kindergarteners I was student teaching, the "odd" names I had were Malakai (didn't last long-he moved ), Ivana, Johnny, Louise (another name you don't see a lot of nowadays) and Moqui (pron. "Moh-kee").

Of the kids I was looking after at the last school I worked at prior to me losing my job there, I had one girl called Daphne (name wasn't odd in an of itself, just not a common one nowadays-her siblings also had old names such as Maevys and I forget her brother's name) and another girl called Anaseini (pron. An-ah-see-nee). I also had a boy named Tadhg (pron. "Tygh"), another one named Vincent (old-fashioned name) and another one named Micah.

In Anaseini's case, she wound up changing it when she moved schools to Savannah.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I did my junior internship with an outfit that goes into schools to give children helpful tips on how to avoid being molested and/or abused. I'm hoping this is not a widespread phenomenon but I noticed while in my local schools, that in some desperate attempt to give a child a "unique" or "interesting" name, parents have given up on tradition altogether and are firing up the Random Syllable Generator (tm) whenever they have a child they need to name. Spelling traditional names incorrectly was also quite popular.

Having seen that, let me let you in on a little secret: It's not unique or interesting. Giving your child an unpronounceable, unspellable name is setting them up for a lifetime of frustration and constantly correcting people. Likewise, when you give a child a normal name, but spell it "uniquely" the only message you're sending is that you did not love your child enough to spell their name properly. Also, you are broadcasting in HD the fact that you as a parent are a vapid trendwhore.
            Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
              I did my junior internship with an outfit that goes into schools to give children helpful tips on how to avoid being molested and/or abused. I'm hoping this is not a widespread phenomenon but I noticed while in my local schools, that in some desperate attempt to give a child a "unique" or "interesting" name, parents have given up on tradition altogether and are firing up the Random Syllable Generator (tm) whenever they have a child they need to name. Spelling traditional names incorrectly was also quite popular.
              I think it depends on the suburb and/or country. I haven't seen too many of those. Going out into the Steiner schools though, you do come across some very "hippie" names.
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Some of the weird names might be something like tribal names so little Moogoowoowanka might actually be 'place of the twinkling stars'.
                Some names tend to have definite ages to them- Shirleys and Patricias flourished in the 60s,you might not find many Ednas or Enids this side of 70(although there does seem to be a comeback-names like Florence and Lily and Alfie-once thought of as old lady names are returning).
                Be a bit odd to think of old folks homes in 70 years being populated with little old Britneys and Kylies...
                Last edited by Kit-Ginevra; 04-18-2015, 11:20 AM.
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

fh - Douglas is still considered fairly normal/generic in the States Usually just gets shortened to "Doug," however. One must always beware of Doug
                  firing up the Random Syllable Generator (tm) whenever they have a child they need to name
                  You mean, Li-a (pron. "Li-DASH-uh") is REAL?!? O_O;>
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

There's a story my husband keeps telling about a mom who had her daughter, exclaimed, "It's so nice that the hospital names your baby for you!" and went about her life calling her daughter Female (pronounced feh-mall-ee).

When it comes to spelling names incorrectly, I think there have always been names with multiple spellings. This just adds to the confusion. Locally, though, it's all "Shantasia" or two names combined like "Kimmarie."
                    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I definitely notice this when checking stuff in at the library, some of the more interesting names I've seen:

Blue Crystal
                      Velvet Love
                      Brandynn (I think it's a different spelling of "Brandon")
                      Baby Marian
                      Boss
                      Bee
                      Queenie
                      Catty Cat
                      Zero Love

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        You mean, Li-a (pron. "Li-DASH-uh") is REAL?!? O_O;>
                        I mean anything like that. There was one that was so bad I wrote it down and went looking through my notes just now to find it:

Khasiayiah.

There was also one that I don't remember, but I do remember it was six syllables long.
                        Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

I have one of the most common names with the most common spelling. You would be surprised how often people would get it wrong. It's like they can't understand anything that isn't the odd way.

Comment

Today I see a celebrity here has a six year old daughter called Lolita. Now it might be a lovely name,but all sorts of things spring to mind when you see that.And when she's old enough to have her own email,that could lead to all sorts of fun-if you're hiring and someone's CV has lolita16 as their email,will you take them seriously?

Comment

I've never met one but Abcde seems to be a far more popular name than anyone sane would think:
                              http://www.vocativ.com/culture/socie...e-named-abcde/

I know a lot of girls with 'normal' names that are traditionally given to boys: Jordan, Brandon, Billy, Charlie, Beverly, Leslie, James, Aaron and Mackenzie.

It's so popular that my friends son is named Mackenzie and is constantly asked, is that not a girls name? Mackenzie King anyone?
                              Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Billy for a girl sounds dead Southern. Tracey used to be a boy's name. Ashley seems to be for girls now-it was always boys when I was younger.

Comment

Working...
                                X