Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose you do have a point, however, at my high school the only kids who wore them were the "rebel without a cause" type kids who just wanted to look like rebels... because rebels have a defined look that they conform to.
    "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

Phf, old my ass. I've been on CS since I was about 15/16 years old. I'm only 21 now. And I still don't like those piercings.
      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Ok, you want old? I'm 34. :P

IMO - 21 for the piercing. Being 13 - go PLAY. Go have FUN. Stop trying to fit in with people. Don't worry or be concerned about what your buddies think of you - just go out and LEARN and BE and ENJOY life. Get your shoes stained with grass and mud. Get your jeans so dirty they clog the washing machine.

When you get a job, and are over 18 - go get the piercing.

The reasoning behind my wait time is this:

You go to high school.
        You want to work in Drama.
        You can't wear the piercing.
        OR

You graduate HS.
        You want a job. - one of your first ones.
        Appearance and first glance will trump your skill set and abilities - if the person doing the hiring has an issue with (let's say) anyone being Blonde Haired, they have the power to not hire them. If the manager has issues with anything being pierced - they'd hire Joe Schmoe without a piercing, before you.

Yeah. It's not fair. People make those personal, internal judgements all the time, and NEVER explain them. You can be yourself, do the right things - and still someone has you on their shit list......because THEY DON'T LIKE THE SHINY METAL THING. But they'll never tell you.

So - to be prepared for the working world, you need all the ammo you can get.
        Education.
        Work Ethic.
        Common Sense.
        Compassion.
        Ability to fit in with the rest of the sheep.

If you choose to follow your own path, and tell everyone to bugger off, I will say this: IT AINT EASY. It's like pushing a boulder up a hill with a rope. You either have to have your own country, some financial backing (like rich parents or win lottery) or be willing to be shunned. Kinda extreme. But that's the way it is - if you don't fit in with the working crowd, you will be crowded out.

I speak from experience. I still have a boulder and rope and a hill, sweety. But it's not as big as it used to be.

Body mods? Put them in places that aren't visible. If you ran for government office, who would get hired? Mr. No Pierce or You? (and there are lots of votes).

Cutenoob
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Shards View Post
          I suppose you do have a point, however, at my high school the only kids who wore them were the "rebel without a cause clue" type kids who just wanted to look like rebels... because rebels have a defined look that they conform to.
          There. FTFM.
          Quoth Cutenoob View Post
          If you choose to follow your own path, and tell everyone to bugger off, I will say this: IT AINT EASY. It's like pushing a boulder up a hill with a rope. You either have to have your own country, some financial backing (like rich parents or win lottery) or be willing to be shunned. Kinda extreme. But that's the way it is - if you don't fit in with the working crowd, you will be crowded out.
          We have two guys at my workplace that have a large chunk of ink on their arms. One has a full sleeve and is working on the second, and the other is working on his first full sleeve.

The second guy was in car sales. I don't know how he planned to stay in car sales with he has planned for his tats, however, as I know that even open-minded people will make judgments against perfectly able people who make appearance-based decisions that are deemed inappropriate for the environment they work in.

The first guy, with the larger percentage of his body covered in tats, however, is working on becoming a professional photographer and artist. If you have the talent to become a professional artist, then it doesn't matter so much what you look like. Artists usually get a pass, and sometimes being more unique gives you cred.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
          X