This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth dalesys View Post
    Carbon is an essential (guy) food group.
    Yes. But this was garlic toast.

Still moist on the underside, it was, too.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
      That similar to a blender at all? I got one of those.
      erm. Kinda? Depends on the kind of blender. If you have one with more than 3 settings, that allows you to liquify pine nuts, you're good to go. Food processor though, allows you to drizzle ingredients in while the machine is running. Dunno if blenders have that capability (Mental note: try pesto in the blender, let Broom know how it turns out...) I'm reasonably certain you can do so, but I'm hesitant to say, "Yeah, go for it!" And then have Broom making a post about a kitchen explosion and missing digits... >.>

(Second note to self: Damn hard to make pesto without the actual ingredients...)

ETA: 0.o Carbonized garlic... Erm...yuum...?

Comment

Instead of buying deli meats, make your own (kinda).

-Cook up an extra chicken breast or two
        -Buy a beef or pork roast and cut it into some smaller pieces. Bake one of the smaller pieces and then slice it up for sandwiches--freeze the other pieces, and bake those when you want to. Same thing works for ham, but you don't have to cook it first.

OR:

When you make supper the night before, make enough for two of you, and take the rest to work for lunch. Reheat and enjoy.
        I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

My favoritest sandwich is one I can only make after Thanksgiving(cuz I'm too lazy to cook a turkey any other time of year).

I take the leftover turkey meat, some bread, dijon mustard(any kind will do, I like mine with a kick) some mayo, lettuce, tomato and avocados. I don't put cheese on it but I would most likely put provolone on it. I loves me some provolone.Making me hungry just thinking about it.
          "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
            erm. Kinda? Depends on the kind of blender. If you have one with more than 3 settings, that allows you to liquify pine nuts, you're good to go.

<snip>
            ETA: 0.o Carbonized garlic... Erm...yuum...?
            14 speeds? And yeah, I took that toast to school to show people. I just had to show off some colossal incompetence.

Thanks for the idea Spiff. I just need to get my hands on some travel utensils, since what I got don't travel well.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Beth B beat me to the avocado mention but those + cheese = yum. Or to make it a little more "sitting around" friendly, make guacamole and don't put it on until you eat (bring in a little container so there's no air room if possible). Got lots of fat in the sandwich? Sure! But a good amount is the good avocado fat.

Comment

Regarding food processors, they are very easy to operate; my boyfriend had one before I moved in with him and used it to make various things, mostly cashew butter (see below) and he is about as gifted in the kitchen as you claim to be, Broom. Anyway, my point is, if he can figure out how to use it, so can you. It's a nice addition to any kitchen, you can use it to make a lot of simple stuff, including homemade salsa or sauces, veggie burgers, cookie/pie dough, etc. And if you don't want a very big one, you can get really little (like 1-2 cup) sized ones at places like Kohls, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc.

Cashew Butter:
                Talking about food processors reminded me of this. My boyfriend makes this once in a while and it's a nice alternative to peanut butter. Here's the recipe, courtesy Alton Brown:

2 Tablespoons honey
                1/3 cup oil (recipe calls for walnut, but we never use that; canola or peanut work well, vegetable would probably be fine too)
                Approx. 2 cups roasted cashews
                1/2 teaspoon salt

Microwave the honey for about 15 seconds, just long enough to make it easier to pour. Add the oil to the honey. Place cashews and salt in food processor and pulse to form small pieces of the cashews. While food processor is running, drizzle in the honey/oil mixture (this is the kind of thing Lupo was talking about when she said you could add ingredients while the food processor is on; this is called an emulsion, and don't be scared of the big word, it's really easy to do. ) Let it blend for about a minute, until it comes together in a peanut butter-like consistency. You can also add a bit more oil if it seems too thick.

If anyone decides to make this, I would recommend not refrigerating it, as it hardens like a rock. Leave it at room temperature and use it within a week or so. It doesn't make too much so it's easy for even one person to use it all before it goes bad. Good as a PB substitute in PB&J sandwiches, or just on its own on bread or toast.

Comment

Quoth Elspeth View Post
                  And who knew you could bake bacon.
                  You can grill it, too. The three foot flames make it taste better.

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                  will make sammich soggy.
                  Tuna sammiches are good soggy.

Still moist on the underside, it was, too.
                  Oh, you're good.

Like others have said, making extra meat the night before, then placing it on your sammich is delicious.

Have you considered branching out into other things that are good cold?

I like cold taco meat, in a container with salsa and cheese, scooped up with lime tortilla chips.

Most Chinese food is good cold, though the pepper thing might be a problem.

Apples and cheddar make a delicious lunch.

If I think of more, I'll let you know.
                  The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Well, BLT, grilled cheese, and Tomato and Cheese have already been suggested.

How about English style cucumber sandwiches?

I was going to suggest meatballs, but you'd have to make your own to ensure there was no pepper in them.

As an alternative to cooking your own chicken breast for sandwiches, you could try to find REAL sliced chicken or turkey (as opposed to deli turkey, which is actually a turkey loaf). In this part of the US, you can get that readily at Trader Joe's, but I don't know who'd have that in your area. It sells for about the same as "premium" deli-meat brands (but cheaper than Boar's Head!).

But if it hasn't already been asked (I only skimmed the other posts).....what exactly grosses you out about sandwich meats? If it's the taste, then I'd suggest upgrading to higher-end brands. For instance, my local supermarket sells this horrid stuff called "Fancy Turkey Breast" that is absolutely revolting. But Thin&Trim, Sara Lee, and Boar's Head turkey is VERY tasty (especially the honey-roasted varieties). And Jennie-O makes a sun-dried tomato turkey that is also quite good.

The other thing about them is you really need to use them within Id' say no more than three days of purchasing them. After that, they start to taste funny, especially turkey. And - also with turkey - it tends to get slimy after a few days anyway, which I do find quite gross. I'd suggest buying small quantities (no more than half a pound at a time) unless you know you're going to use it all up within 3 days.

Oh, and don't bother trying to freeze the stuff. It always gets ruined in the freezer.
                    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

K

Take some butter beans, smush em with a fork. Spread em on the sammich with some mayo or something.
                      Grill some zucchini, baby carrots, tomato, patty pans, small stems of broccoli and asparagus. Bung into the sammich. Season with whatever you want.

Devour.
                      The end.
                      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
                        How about egg salad? It's really easy and I love it. Boil some eggs (when my mom makes it, she uses 6-7, but that's usually for 3 people so you might want to start with 2-3 to see if you like it), chop them fine, add mayo and a little yellow mustard to taste, to form sort of a paste. We always had it with lettuce on buns or toast. You can add other stuff to it, too, if you'd like, like celery salt or garlic powder or paprika to give it extra flavor.
                        I use an old-school potato masher. Also a good way to work off some stress. Salt, pepper, and just enough mayo for it all to stick together, on whole wheat bread. Yum.

Tuna must have lots of chopped celery, and preferably onion (but I don't always feel like dealing with onions so sometimes I skip 'em), and again, just enough mayo to keep it all together (I'm not a big mayo fan; it has very limited uses in my culinary life). Wheat bread and lots of lettuce; or sometimes I just take lettuce leaves - iceburg or other broad-leaf type works best for this - and just roll up some tuna in the leaf and eat. That's best when it's cold, just out of the fridge.

If you don't like cold cuts, you could always pick up a small roasted chicken (or just the chicken breast if they carry that) and slice it for sandwiches. That's yummy, too.
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I have horrible cooking skills too so I am sure you can make any of these suggestions:

Yves makes vegetarian lunchmeats that I like. My non-vegetarian partner says they taste different than regular lunchmeat.

Pita bread with hummus inside is yummy, nutritious, and sandwichy. You can buy the hummus yourself or make a decent and cheap version with garbanzo beans and spices.

Scrambled tofu in between bread is delic and has a consistency similar to egg salad sandwiches. I only cook it for myself and I will just tupperware it and spread it out over several meals - it is great for breakfast too. http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...p?RecipeID=110 is the recipe. You can make pretty much whatever subsitutions you like and it will still taste good. I leave out the yeast, use garlic powder instead of garlic, don't use lemon, and sub some of the veggies. Mine usually has 1 onion, 1 bell pepper, 1 thing of normal mushrooms, and a handful of chopped carrot. Obviously yours wouldn't have the peppers.

This recipe is great for people who haven't tried tofu - since you crumple it up you con't get big chunks of it and since there are so many spices it picks up a ton of flavor. I would recommend bringing the bread and scrambled tofu in seperate containers and then combining them at lunch. I guess you could also do this with regular scrambled eggs and veggies.

These require microwaves for full deliciousness:

There is a large variety of veggie burgers with different tastes you could try. I enjoy the black bean and breaded spicy chiken patty from garden burger. The black bean one is more of a vegetable patty than a burger so it would have a unique taste. The chiken patty is pretty much like normal chicken according to my partner. I don't know their pepper content but they come with ingredient labels. You can cook them in a microwave.

Burritos or folded soft tacos are also sandwichy. I like sauteed onions in mine along with black beans and guacamole. Sometimes I include chiken strips that I sautee with the onions.

Get this: I can't have Subway any more, since they can't guarantee that green peppers weren't dropped in the lettuce at some point. This became an issue last time I was there. Grabbed a sub for breakfast, no green peppers in there, I'd be able to taste it. Had breathing issues until near lunch time.

This might not actually help, but when I worked at a similar restuarant we always had a fresh vat of lettuce ready for replacing. You could ask them to change their gloves and use the clean lettuce. We were always willing to do that for allergy people.
                          Last edited by Anriana; 07-29-2009, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X