Quoth mjr
View Post
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Random Thoughts
Collapse
X
-
Do love me some old-school britcoms. Are You Being Served is a delight, Black Adder is a classic (and then there's the last episode)...I'm a Red Dwarf man, meself.
-
Back when "24" was still on, could you imagine eight, one-hour episodes of Jack Bauer sleeping? An hour episode of him getting ready for work, or eating dinner?Quoth Ceir View PostIt's constant ActionActionActionPlotPlotPlotDramaDramaDrama. The characters get no downtime, there's never a literal or metaphorical beach episode. The viewers never have a chill episode to actually think about all the action, plot, and drama being shoved into their faces before more of it arrives.
Ten thousand channels, and still nothing on...
The Mrs. and I are currently watching a "Britcom" on Prime called 'Allo 'Allo. It's a farcical comedy about Northern Occupied France (Specifically, Nouvion) during WW2. We're on Season 5 now (out of 9) and it seems like it's getting more and more ridiculous the more we watch.
Leave a comment:
-
Saw this this morning and it fits: "The saying, "Life is just one damn thing after another," is a gross understatement. The damn things overlap.""
Leave a comment:
-
Hm. Cannot decide if that sounds better or worse than Turkey & Gravy Soda.
Thought tax: for someone who doesn't actually watch a lot of TV, I have a lot of thoughts about it.
Any procedural drama - police, medical, whatever - is going to inevitably collapse under its own weight eventually, because the situations the characters deal with have to constantly escalate in order to keep interest. By season four the paramedics can't just respond to a car crash, it has to be a car that crashed into a school bus full of kids and also a tanker truck that's on fire next to a gas station. Does it count as jumping the shark, or a variant of X-Files Syndrome (show has X - pun acknowledged and ignored - seasons worth of decent story; show is popular enough to get +Y additional seasons that are thus full of hastily contrived filler)?
And something that kind of follows from that. I recently read (again, A Blog Post I Now Can't Find) a thing that really resonates with why I get so annoyed by modern TV shows - most modern shows have no chill. It's constant ActionActionActionPlotPlotPlotDramaDramaDrama. The characters get no downtime, there's never a literal or metaphorical beach episode. The viewers never have a chill episode to actually think about all the action, plot, and drama being shoved into their faces before more of it arrives.
Ten thousand channels, and still nothing on...
Leave a comment:
-
I'm a spice wimp, so about the only one of those that sounds good to me is the Poutine. The Butter Chicken is a maybe.
Cotton Candy mac & cheese? Seriously?
Leave a comment:
-
Sunday is grocery shopping day.
Saw on the shelf that Kraft now has KD Flavour Boost, packets of flavouring you can add in to your Kraft Dinner macaroni.
Jalapeno
Ghost Pepper
Buffalo Wing
Poutine
Butter Chicken
... and Cotton Candy.
(note to board mods, for some reason my computer hiccuped and the original post didn't look like it posted, but it did...)
Leave a comment:
-
Last video game for me is Fallout 4.Quoth Ceir View PostSaw this one on a blog somewhere. To win like a hundred million dollars, you have to live in the last video game you played for a year. How hosed are you?
...I'm screwed. Warframe or Dwarf Fortress.
Do I get that hundred million in dollars (worthless in the game) or bottle caps (the in-game currency)?
Leave a comment:
-
Saw this one on a blog somewhere. To win like a hundred million dollars, you have to live in the last video game you played for a year. How hosed are you?
...I'm screwed. Warframe or Dwarf Fortress.
Leave a comment:
-
I wonder if some people with perfect pitch tend to only drive at particular speeds so the road/engine/gear/tire noises are in tune.
So they might be comfortable at exactly 60.00, ~63.57, ~ 67.35, ~71.35, ~75.60 and so on. Would they change tires for ones with different number of lugs/tread pattern repeats?
Leave a comment:
-
Speaking of the internet, I'm on another seven-day ban on Facebook ... I used a term that apparently "triggered" the algorithms, but the irony is, I wasn't trying to insult anybody, much less the person whose post I was responding to.
And I can dispute it, but of course they are sooooo overwhelmed due to COVID that they probably won't ever get back to me.
Leave a comment:
-
Speaking of technology again. I read something recently (ironically, a blog post that I now cannot find) that vibes with why I have so many personal issues with social media in general - something about "growing up in the early days of the greater internet, when mentioning even so much as your favorite color was giving out too much personal information; compared to the plethora of real names, locations, personal details, and what you ate for breakfast".
Leave a comment:
-
Real professors only understand how to use Antikythera mechanisms.Quoth Ironclad Alibi View PostBecause teachers require the students to have a graphing calculator and will not let the students use more modern, and capable, devices. It is a captive market.Last edited by dalesys; 08-04-2021, 01:21 AM.
Leave a comment:
-
Because teachers require the students to have a graphing calculator and will not let the students use more modern, and capable, devices. It is a captive market.Quoth Ceir View PostI may have had this one before, but it's surfaced again. Given what phones and tablets can do, why are graphing calculators still $120?
Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: