Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nunavut Pants
    replied
    Apparently Mickey D's in our town used to have weekly specials on cheeseburgers--something like two for a dime. My folks, being starving students at the time, would buy as many as they could afford, and freeze them.

    I guess that's why I view their plain cheeseburger as a comfort food, though I don't really remember having them all the time.

    Leave a comment:


  • dalesys
    replied
    Quoth Ceir View Post
    A very specific, very weird bit of nostalgia, and/or making myself feel old: man, there was a time when walking into Taco Bell with ten bucks meant you came back L-O-A-D-E-D...
    I remember Arctic Circle having hamburgers for 19¢. 5 for 95¢

    Leave a comment:


  • Ceir
    replied
    A very specific, very weird bit of nostalgia, and/or making myself feel old: man, there was a time when walking into Taco Bell with ten bucks meant you came back L-O-A-D-E-D...

    Leave a comment:


  • mjr
    replied
    Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
    Sometimes that slight visual change is not even the major part of the update. There may be a lot of code changes going on, on the back end, but if they push out an update with nothing the end user can see as an update, they sometimes get annoyed at an update being pushed out "for no reason." Hence, little visual changes here and there.
    Especially with stylesheet tools and things like FontAwesome.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jay 2K Winger
    replied
    Sometimes that slight visual change is not even the major part of the update. There may be a lot of code changes going on, on the back end, but if they push out an update with nothing the end user can see as an update, they sometimes get annoyed at an update being pushed out "for no reason." Hence, little visual changes here and there.

    Leave a comment:


  • Food Lady
    replied
    Ceir, I don't get it either. Are the web designers bored, or...?

    Leave a comment:


  • Ironclad Alibi
    replied
    Quoth Ceir View Post
    ... but...for fhtagn's sake why?
    Because someone has the notion that if they don't change something, they are not doing their job. It is very annoying, especially when they change something that worked perfectly fine before.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ceir
    replied
    I know I'm being nitpicky here, but I hate when websites, applications, and other software make seemingly random cosmetic changes for no good %*#@%_)$ reason. Whether it's Windows slightly altering the logon screen, my phone sucking down an updates, fricking Youtube changing the highlight color on videos in a playlist...what is the ping-ponging point? Great, you changed a highlight color from grey to...slightly brown? You spent X amount of time in an update to round the corners of icons? You make the logon screen a slightly different shade of blue? I know it's nitpicking, I know I'm seemingly the only person to notice or even care, but...for fhtagn's sake why?

    Leave a comment:


  • El Pollo Guerrera
    replied
    Hey, the Google Doodle Halloween game is still working! Anyone else play?

    Leave a comment:


  • Food Lady
    replied
    I just realized I might be experiencing gaslighting* in one of my family relationships. Happened last night. The goal (conscious or unconscious) is to make me feel like I am less than because I don't have as much knowledge on a particular area of study as the other person. I don't have much more than basic instruction we got in high school which is what most people have and that's fine. This person just really likes to study that stuff and feels everyone should. I gave a fact that I knew on the subject and they said "That's really all you know about that?" then just kept repeating "interesting" in that tone of voice that tells you they think you're stupid or derelict in studies or something. The repetition was because I didn't give the desired reaction; they didn't get a protest out of me so that they could tell me I'm wrong. *Maybe that's not the right term; it's hard for me to define. But it's some kind of mind game an insecure family member plays with me and another all the time. It makes me mad but ultimatel I feel sorry for them. I'm not perfect, but I'm OK with me and how I'm growing. They're definitely not.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nunavut Pants
    replied
    Oh, good point! Reality is always secondary to The Plot!

    Leave a comment:


  • Ironclad Alibi
    replied
    Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
    You can, unless you're going downhill. Or need to stop in a shorter distance than just coasting to a stop. You can leave the car in gear and take your foot off the gas to stop sooner than in neutral. Downshift for slightly better slowing.

    The handbrake or parking brake may very well still work, as well. Usually it's not as effective as the regular driving brakes, but it will work to some extent. Especially once the above gets you moving fairly slowly.
    There are several ways to slow/stop a car with no brakes. But if they are not written into the script, you're out of luck.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nunavut Pants
    replied
    You can, unless you're going downhill. Or need to stop in a shorter distance than just coasting to a stop. You can leave the car in gear and take your foot off the gas to stop sooner than in neutral. Downshift for slightly better slowing.

    The handbrake or parking brake may very well still work, as well. Usually it's not as effective as the regular driving brakes, but it will work to some extent. Especially once the above gets you moving fairly slowly.

    Leave a comment:


  • El Pollo Guerrera
    replied
    I'm watching an old movie, and it has that bit where the bad guys 'fix' the brakes on the car and it can't stop on a highway and is putting everyone in danger...

    Couldn't you just throw the car in Neutral and coast to a stop?

    Leave a comment:


  • Dreamstalker
    replied
    Any phrase that mentally translates to "funbags" does not belong in an in-store snacks ad...

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X