Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only areas the seem to be getting strong storms now is eastern upstate NY (Kaatskill, Troy, Albany) and the NH / ME border. The rest of the area just has a windy day ahead.

Strong squalls are also heading though Maine and into Canada.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

just took a lap around my building to see what my complex looks like

some of the basement stairwells are full of water - the one on the building behind us probably a couple feet deep, almost to the top of the second step; the one on my building is a little lower, doesn't cover the first step, and there is also a tree branch in there, and the one on the building next to us just has a puddle at the bottom of the stairs

and the screen door on the downstairs apartment on the side of the building came off; it's leaning against the balcony railing, but that apartment is empty right now so that's not so bad

no real damage i can see; our cars are fine. lots of branches down but nothing i couldn't move myself if i had to.

there is a very pretty swirly marmalade kitty in an upstairs window intently watching stuff blowing in the wind, and my downstairs neighbors' two cats are looking out the screen door. the wind must be getting them all riled up.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Well, Eastern PA...we're ok. There were alot of people out of power from midnightish to just now. Luckily, my house was fully functional and intact when i got home from work this morning. Ive been eyeing the big tree next to my house tho....i dont like it. If it falls I hope its away from me..

Comment

NEPA here, and it's been raining for about 12+ hours. Nothing heavy, a little breezy, electricity is still on. No flooding in the local area as far as I know either. Glad to see it wasn't as bad as everyone said it'd be, so hopefully now everyone where I live will stop acting like the apocalypse is happening.

Comment

And the rain in New Haven was dried up by the time we woke up this morning. Power flickered a bit for our complex but we're otherwise fine. The yard is littered with leaves, though.

Our complex must be in an anti-weather bubble, though. We seriously didn't even have the usual post-torrential-rain puddle in our basement, let alone proper flooding, yet just across the street there were broken branches and even trees snapped in half. We took a brief walk before dinner and saw a tree that had been uprooted and fell onto a house's second-story balcony (didn't look like it'd punched through the wall, but it did take out the railing). There were quite a few trees where I'm sure the car- and home-owners are quite happy the tree went one way rather than another. One was poised to take out a very expensive-looking house, and another would've crushed a good half-dozen cars had it gone the other way.

For now, I'm just sitting here listening to the wind outside.

Edit: the towns to either side of us (West Haven and East Haven) got hit far worse, but they're technically more coastal than New Haven is. We're on slightly higher land and are semi-sheltered by the harbor/river mouth. The other two Havens are right up against Long Island sound and a fair bit flatter. I've seen photos of the flooding, the tree damage, and at least one house that looks like it just toppled over like a house of cards.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

YAAAAAAYYYY!!

In the Town of Duck re-entry will be allowed for residents, property owners, and business owners and those assisting these persons as of 7:00 p.m. Sunday, August 28 and to visitors and the general public as of 10:00 a.m. Tuesday, August 30.
              Looks like our vacay's still on!

Saw pics of the town, little bit of damage, but most of it was debris on the roads/fairly easily fixable. Coastal towns are fairly good about being prepped for hurricanes and the like.
              By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                I read all this, and was chuckling the whole time.

Why? Do I find it to be a badly thought-out plan? Not at all. It is sensible, smart, forward thinking...and completely unlike anything that actually happens.

<snipped>

"Well-built, safe building."
                Well, maybe you could be the one to encourage change.

But yeah, as I've said, I grew up in a cyclone zone (admittedly, we mostly got the cyclone tail, not the full hit), and I fully believe you. People can get blase about the most serious things.

Edit to add: I was 5 when Cyclone Tracy totally destroyed Darwin. It was a disaster on a scale I'd call roughly equivalent to Katrina/New Orleans; except that we - as in, even the emergency services - didn't discover it had happened until two days later.
                It happened on Christmas Eve 1974, and everyone was fairly complacent about not being able to get through to Darwin. We assumed that the phone lines were busy because of everyone calling relatives, not totally downed by a cyclone that had been last seen heading north. (Phone communication to Darwin was easy to congest at that time, and we didn't have satellite weather photos back then.)

Once the government figured it out, however, our response was immediate. The Flying Doctor service, the army, the state emergency services, swung into action. I'm told there was a tent city raised as fast as the army logistics teams could get it up.

In Katrina, the major crisis seemed (from this end) to be flooding; many of the buildings survived. In Darwin, there was almost nothing left. The city was flattened.
                Last edited by Seshat; 08-29-2011, 02:24 AM.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Just throwing in my own "I'm okay" bit. I'm about 50mi/80km west of NYC. Here? We lost power from 0430 to 1200. A brief power flicker occurred at 1400. That was it.

We had lots of rain, some wind, and power failure. That was it. No property damage.

Now, work tomorrow, I'm worried about. There I'm all of 5 to 10 mi west of NYC, and that's going to be "interesting". On the plus side, it looks like our server managed to stay up and running, somehow.

All in all, I'm relieved. It seems like I managed to dodge this bullet.

Comment

Glad to hear your vacation is still on, hope you have a good time! Things are A-OK where I am. The total damage in my neighborhood was 1 downed tree on a power line, a 2 second power outage, and about 5000 downed sticks and leaves. I'll only have to worry about work if the places I'm going to out in the middle of nowhere suffered any damage, but I'll bother finding that out Wednesday.

And I've got a little something that could go into sightings, but it's so short.
                    My brother T had to work at a department store's auto center, poor soul. Apparently the day was mind-numbingly slow, but any customers that did show up were infuriating just for being out. When he arrives to open theres a line of cars at the garage already, and the first car he helps out gives him this treat:
                    SC: Why are you guys open!?
                    T: I have no idea, why are you here?
                    SC: Well I figured I'd beat the rush and get some tires cause nobody would be shopping today!
                    *T Just stares at the man and the line behind him*
                    Last edited by SpaceCore; 08-29-2011, 02:28 AM.
                    It makes sense.

Comment

Well, it may have been a good thing I stocked up on food and found all my flashlights!

We lost power at 9am on Sunday, still out. There is a rumor we may not get power til Sept 6, but I think that is crazy. I'm pretty sure my a parents won't see power for a week, they aren't near anything vital.

I'm at work now, coudn't go in yesterday since they had no power either. It was alovely day yesterday, just walked around town (where I could)

Irene has been retired, I think.

Happy to hear the vacay is on Serpah!!
                      Last edited by Cat; 08-30-2011, 05:37 PM.
                      "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                      "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

as of about 6pm tonight, we have generator power for the condos.

Lovely I can type this at home.

Lovely I had a hot shower

Lovely I can have leftover in my fridge.

Bloody generator is loud!! I can't sit on my porch or sleep with the windows open.

Meh, all is well
                        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

My fiance lives in NH, and all they got was a lot of wind and rain, but unfortunately his Aunt was a casualty of Irene. She lived in a nursing home in GA, and the wind blew a tree into her bedroom window, and although it didn't hit her, she suffered a heart attack when it happened
                          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                            My fiance lives in NH, and all they got was a lot of wind and rain, but unfortunately his Aunt was a casualty of Irene. She lived in a nursing home in GA, and the wind blew a tree into her bedroom window, and although it didn't hit her, she suffered a heart attack when it happened
                            I'm sorry to hear that

---

This is the parking lot at the Dunkin Donuts I pass on my way to work. The lake is right behind it.

Picture

Picture
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Holy Cow BookstoreEscapee! That's unreal.
                              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                              X