Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's that time again--F*ck you Mother Nature!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth fireheart View Post
    As far as I know, up in the Northern Territory, they have two seasons: wet (right now) and dry (May to October). So I'm guessing that the Northern Territory is the equivelent to Jester's location
    It is the Northern part of the NT (the Top End) that has the two seasons. Southern NT (Central Australia) has a four season weather cycle except that it doesn't snow due to being a semi-arid region. The coldest I remember it getting when I lived in Alice Springs was -5C and other water mains froze. There would be ice at the high school when they forgot to turn off the sprinklers and it dropped below freezing overnight.

I will not be going to beach here in Darwin in the wet, due to Box Jellyfish in the water. We do have an ice hockey team but no ice rink.

Comment

Yeah, I was surprised at the chill in the air when I got out of work just past 10 PM tonight. And it's a bit cool in my house - no windows open and no artificial heating or cooling going on. At least it's not as cold as work...brrr.
      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth TopEndDave View Post
        It is the Northern part of the NT (the Top End) that has the two seasons. Southern NT (Central Australia) has a four season weather cycle except that it doesn't snow due to being a semi-arid region. The coldest I remember it getting when I lived in Alice Springs was -5C and other water mains froze. There would be ice at the high school when they forgot to turn off the sprinklers and it dropped below freezing overnight.
        Nickname for Southern NT/Northern SA is The Red Centre.

And it actually rained for a bit today here! O.o
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

It's 15 degrees Fahrenheit outside right now. Very funny, Mother Nature. Now warm it the fuck back up!!
          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

It snowed here today, but didn't stick... which made it perfect weather for my boyfriend and I to get out of the house and go look at some Christmas decorations. It was a really nice touch, and actually put me in the Christmas spirit for the first time in, literally, years.
            Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 11-30-2011, 06:19 AM.
            Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

OK here's the forecast for the rest of my week

Today: 20C (68F)
              Tomorrow: 22C (71.6F)
              Friday: 24C (75.2F)
              Saturday: 27C (80.6F)
              Sunday: 27C (80.6F)
              Monday: 29C (84.2F)
              Tuesday: 32C (89.6F)
              Wednesday: 31C. (87.8F)

Fahrenheit numbers provided

Comment

Wow, fireheart, that's a big jump from today to next Tuesday...mild to roasting! LOL. It's rather cool here tonight, 54F right now (12C) at 2:40 AM.
                "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
                  Wow, fireheart, that's a big jump from today to next Tuesday...mild to roasting! LOL.
                  That's just the projected forecast mind you. It might warm up or cool down during the week.

We've had heatwaves before as well and it isn't uncommon for the temperatures in January to hit 41-42C. The highest I've ever seen has been 45C.
                  Last edited by fireheart; 11-30-2011, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Just stepped out on to my balcony.

Beautiful night out, slight chill in the air, bringing it down to about 68F (I just checked weather.com....damn, I'm good, it IS 68!), so out on the balcony I was, in socks, shorts, and t-shirt. I only have the balcony door open because I'm cooking chili and my roommate bitched.

And of course, now I've probably pissed many of you off, reporting as I often do on the wonderful weather here, as opposed to where you are. Well, just remember, I CHOSE to live here. And you live where you live....why, exactly?

Quoth TopEndDave View Post
                    We do have an ice hockey team but no ice rink.
                    So where do they play?

Quoth fireheart View Post
                    The highest I've ever seen has been 45C.
                    I've lived through 50C. Of course, that was back home in the Phoenix, Arizona area, but still, even for Phoenix, that is pretty damn hot.

For those of you who don't do quick conversions from C to F, 50C is 122F. And that was in the shade, since all temperatures are measured in the shade. In the sun, it was much hotter. And in Phoenix, we really don't have any damn shade.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

• ......it snowed here.

-upends chili on Jester's head-
                      "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                      "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                      Amayis is my wifey

Comment

• Quoth Jester View Post
                        And of course, now I've probably pissed many of you off, reporting as I often do on the wonderful weather here, as opposed to where you are. Well, just remember, I CHOSE to live here. And you live where you live....why, exactly?
                        That's usually my line, too I grew up in New Jersey and made a conscious choice to move to Florida...no money, a pretty terrible boyfriend and his mother to live with (gack), no job, and all my family up North. Still don't regret it at all. Didn't make it as far south as Jester but it's usually just fine here

Comment

• Quoth Jester View Post

So where do they play?
                          They don't. It's sort of a running joke. They also don't have an AFL team (neither do Canberra or Tasmania). For the record, one state has one team, three states have two teams and one state has a whopping 11 teams, although this is because when the AFL was actually formed, it was really just expanding the Victorian Football League to allow other teams. Some of the names for said teams as well are just....well let's see...we have the Dockers (Freemantle), Blues (Carlton), Saints (St. Kilda), Swans (Sydney), Power (Port Adelaide), Suns (Gold Coast) and Bombers (Essendon). Along with your usual lineup of Cats, Hawks, Crows, Eagles etc.

I've lived through 50C. Of course, that was back home in the Phoenix, Arizona area, but still, even for Phoenix, that is pretty damn hot.

For those of you who don't do quick conversions from C to F, 50C is 122F. And that was in the shade, since all temperatures are measured in the shade. In the sun, it was much hotter. And in Phoenix, we really don't have any damn shade.
                          In the more rural regions of Australia, it can get up to that high. Oodnadatta has recorded temperatures of 50C in the past.

Comment

• Quoth fireheart View Post
                            Suns (Gold Coast)
                            Count me as a fan of the Gold Coast Suns.

Not that I'll ever see a match, mind you. But I'm an alum of Arizona State, whose school colors are maroon and GOLD, and I am a huge fan of the NBA's Phoenix SUNS. So, duh, it's not that tough to figure out where my allegiance would be in that sport if I suddenly found myself living in Oz.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

• Quoth Jester View Post
                              J
                              So where do they play?
                              They stand on the beach waiting for the ocean to freeze solid enough to play. Copious amounts of alcohol are drunk while waiting.

They also featured in an advertising campaign for vegemite

Comment

• Around here the sea usually *does* freeze solid enough to play ice-hockey on, never mind the lakes. It won't do that for a while yet though, it's still well above freezing for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X