This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody run?

So, Im not the most fit person in the world. I recently have lost a chunk of weight and have kinda plateaued. My friends are running a 5k (Mud Dog Run - chased by Zombies) and have asked me to join. I found the couch to 5K program and the 9 week program gives me just enough time to complete it before the 5k in the beginning of November.

Any advice? Im scared. I havent run any amount of distance since High School.

I could easily walk a 5K but even trying to jog makes my neck, chest, and knees hurt. So you are ahead of me.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Good running shoes. Don't cheap out. If you can get to a good (usually local) store, they can help you find the shoes you need. I don't know where in PA you are, but if you can get into Philly Philadelphia Runner is good. They hooked my BF up with shoes that he actually enjoys running in, and I'm definitely going there for my next pair.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Good running shoes. Make the investment in those.

You'll want lightweight cotton for now for clothes, but later you'll want to get technical tees and shorts as you get more serious.

Start slow. Your body needs to build the muscle memory it needs to work efficiently as you run. This can be anything from just running a short distance, or running for a length of time followed by walking double that length and repeating for however long you determine.

Don't necessarily go out everyday, but go out at least three times a week as you start. Again, getting the body used to it. Of course, your programs will tell you your goals and such, but don't be upset if you can't reach them at first.

Oh, and get a good sports bra. That's another Godsend.
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I agree with good running shoes. I'm saving up for them. (I got a free fitting at Fleet Feet and the shoes fit like a dream!)
          I'm using the couch to 5k program too. Don't hesitate to do a work out several times. I have and will in the future.
          Enjoy and good luck.
          Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
          Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

I am going to walk a 5k in December. I am going to start my couch to 5k program next week.
            Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

I've been running on and off for years. Currently training for a half-marathon in January, and I've learned the following:

1. Good music makes a huge difference. Mix it up, make sure you're not always listening to the same playlist. Also consider podcasts (Wait Wait Don't Tell Me! is a great one) and audiobooks.

2. Shoes. Are you trailrunning? Road? Track? Find out what the best shoes are for that surface, and get them. Runner's World has reviews and recommendations - trust them over salespeople.

3. Bra. Personally, I love the Danskin running tops (usually around $20-25 at Kohls), and they keep me pretty well contained. YMMV, try out a few different things.

4. Water. Find a water bottle you can carry, and use it. You'll find you can run further, longer, and more intensely if you've got water handy.

5. Nutrition. This is a big one. Make sure you're eating well and getting all the nutrients you need. Don't use those stupid nutrition bars or packs - they're no better than candy, and most of the protein drinks out there are intended for people who are professional athletes. I find that if I have fruit, granola, and yoghurt for breakfast, carbs for lunch (pasta with a great veggie-heavy sauce is a good one), and a veggie-and-protein-heavy dinner, I'm set. Maybe a couple of snacks through the day (veggies & hummus are good for that) if I'm feeling peckish. As you run more, you'll get hungrier, because you're raising your basal metabolic rate, and your body will compensate.

Runner's World is a terrific resource, especially for cross-training ideas. If you have a bike, go out one day a week on it. If not, try yoga or weighlifting. Building strength will help make running easier. In a good week, I do hill-sprints one day, yoga two, and run the other four. Not that I've done much the last two weeks, but pneumonia does tend to set one back a bit when it comes to athletics.

Comment

Kiakat, about the bra--does it work for large sizes? Like DD and up?
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks for the resources! Im guessing its considered a conbination of trailrunning and road. Its also not just a run, it also some some obstacles around and as i mentioned before, zombies chasing you.

I have a great danskin sportsbra b/c these girls get wild. I will def look up the philly store and update my playlist. Thanks all. Id appreciate anyone elses advice as well.

Comment

I can't say. I'm somewhere between a large B and a small C, and I buy a Medium. Though that's more due to my ribcage being oddly large (seriously, I'm a size 4-6 in women's clothing, and I wear a 38B bra size). It might be worth trying, since you want the girls to be fairly squished, especially if you're running trail, like I do. Otherwise they pick up a bit too much momentum when you're root-hopping, and end up smacking you in the chin.

Comment

Re: food lady: I'm at least a DD. When I started running the only sports bra I had was an Ah! Bra. It cuts down on the movement. I'm still planning on investing in a running bra like I'd find in a running store but for now it's do able.
                      Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                      Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                        Kiakat, about the bra--does it work for large sizes? Like DD and up?
                        I'm at least a DDD (my bras don't have normal size labels, so I don't know what they translate as) I love Enell bras. Expensive, but very much worth the money.
                        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Did the first couch to 5k workout yesterday, im pretty sure the boob bouncing gave me a back ache about 2/3s of the way through, though i wasnt wearing my sports bra at the time b/c im an idiot. The hunt for a good bra will be on this weekend. Theres several sporting good stores around, so ill look there first.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                            Otherwise they pick up a bit too much momentum when you're root-hopping, and end up smacking you in the chin.
                            Unexpected. Glad I kept the coffee down.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                              ... end up smacking you in the chin.
                              What happened? Got knocker'd out.
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X