This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth EricKei View Post
    Then, outside power workers have made it in to help? Cool ^_^ Some from not that far away from me were turned away, reportedly, for reasons better off left on Fratching
    I have heard mixed reports on that; I did hear a spokesperson from JCP&L call into the radio station when they were talking about it to assure them it wasn't JCP&L that turned them away. It may have been a municipal utility company that did; but that sounded like speculation on his part when he said it. (This was last week and I haven't looked into it any further.)
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Then, outside power workers have made it in to help? Cool ^_^ Some from not that far away from me were turned away, reportedly, for reasons better off left on Fratching
      Well, I've heard from supervisors in every state saying it's not true along with multiple governors denying it.

Yes, I do have power. Nearly lost it a few times from the Nor'easter but it's held. Cable line to my house is going to be fixed tomorrow.
      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

• Quoth Greenday View Post
        Well, I've heard from supervisors in every state saying it's not true along with multiple governors denying it.

Yes, I do have power. Nearly lost it a few times from the Nor'easter but it's held. Cable line to my house is going to be fixed tomorrow.
        My lights flickered earlier; it hasn't been particularly windy that I've noticed though. My mom emailed me at work this morning saying that their lights had flickered a couple times and the TV went out for a few minutes. Not looking forward to driving to work tomorrow.

Comment

• Just saw the sky light up from another blown transformer.
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

• Quoth Greenday View Post
            Just saw the sky light up from another blown transformer.
            Early new year's? How festive

We've had the exact same transformer on my block blow out roughly once every two years, like clockwork... It's in front of the house next door, as a matter of fact. Nice and loud.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Quoth Crossbow View Post
              Has anybody heard from ShadowTiger? The post in General Work Chat made it sound like it could be bad...

I had to check around for this thread to find it. Thanks for the thoughts.

I posted quite a bit about it Here, but lessee if I can copy/paste it. I probably shouldn't, because this forum doesn't have a "Spoiler" tag that condenses text into a little strip and expands it when you click on it, so a link to that is just as good. (Have Scripts functional for spoiler tag functionality.)

I think this past Saturday was the first time I was ever able to read a 400 page book in a single day, cover to cover.
              SC: "Are you new or something?"
              Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

• ShadowTiger! *glomps* (yeah I know I talked to you on facebook but but I had to glomp you. )
                Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

• Ugh, my friend on Long Island posted on facebook tonight that the house they're buying has a lot of damage, and the owners didn't have flood insurance so they're trying to fix things as cheap as they can. Hopefully they can get out of the contract and get back the money they've put down so far. (Which according to someone on the thread who is in real estate, they should be able to, since they haven't closed yet and the house is no longer in the condition they agreed to buy, so they should be able to either demand the repairs be done properly, or get some amount in cash back after closing from the seller to put towards getting repairs done, or void the contract all together, because the fact that the seller doesn't have flood insurance is not their fault.) But their current house is already sold and finding temporary housing on Long Island right now will be difficult if not impossible (especially for a couple with 5 kids). They'll move in with her parents temporarily if necessary, but that'll mean moving the kids to a new school for a few months, and then another school when they finally move, and an hour and a half long commute for her husband (who has to be at work at 7). Grr.

And the news just reported that the LI Power Authority CEO resigned.
                  Bellevue Hospital and NYU Medical Center in NYC may not be operational until at least January.

And I just learned that Bergen County NJ still has Blue Laws; they were suspended the last couple weeks so people could shop for things they need, but the governor just reinstated them.
                  Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 11-14-2012, 03:12 AM.

Comment

• Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                    Bellevue Hospital and NYU Medical Center in NYC may not be operational until at least January.
                    Given that hospitals are normally absolute, number one priority to get power restored, that's scary o_O I hope they are able to get the streets cleared and lines restored soon!

We had something like that on a smaller scale after Isaac here -- many people stayed put, and got a quick education in the fact that restoration really isn't as simple as flipping a switch...Gotta clear streets, get trees off of the lines, move/fix/test/reattach lines, etc all before they can even THINK about pumping power through those suckers.

I hadn't heard about the CEO resigning, though. If things are taking too long, maybe he should have considered fixing things and THEN resigning, or at least seeing to it that he has an immediate replacement who can get 'er done...Or has he?
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Given that hospitals are normally absolute, number one priority to get power restored, that's scary o_O I hope they are able to get the streets cleared and lines restored soon!
                      The first floors were flooded; they showed one of them (NYU I think) all dark; they have minimal power, just enough for the workers. Also showed footage of critical patients being evacuated in 60mph winds on the day of the storm.

I hadn't heard about the CEO resigning, though. If things are taking too long, maybe he should have considered fixing things and THEN resigning, or at least seeing to it that he has an immediate replacement who can get 'er done...Or has he?
                      I just saw it on the 11pm news last night. Don't know all the details but I know people had started calling for his head. Don't know who's in charge now.

Our power at work went out 3 times yesterday morning. Not sure if it was storm-damage related or if we were on the generators for any length of time or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X