No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is not the only isolated place. Campobello Island in Canada is only accessible by road via Maine.

On the other side of the continent, Point Roberts, WA, is accessible by road only through Canada.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
      My daughter's job has announced that they are slowly going to start bringing people back into the office....and they've proven that it is easier for all the staff to work from home instead of making them go into the office.
      Same here. Some people return on the 12th and it's fully voluntary but I'm sure eventually they'll want us all back in the office, even though we--my team, anyway--are more productive at home.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Thursday was Reopening Day here in Statesylvania. It was a good time for it, as it's just before the Big Annual Holiday and right after we've emerged from the most crippling heatwave This Particular Part Of The Country has experienced since recordkeeping began. We've got about 70% of our population vaccinated. Almost all restrictions on businesses and public gatherings have been dropped except that large venues still have to operate at 75% capacity and masks are still required for unvaccinated people (and also liars), though from what I've seen most people around here are continuing to mask up anyway.

It's nice to see things finally going back to normal around here, though I fully intend to keep wearing masks in public forever from now on.

Comment

• My company isn't requiring vaccination to continue working there but they have made a policy as of today. If you're vaccinated you're golden. Any side effects from the vaccine itself will get you excused from work/paid. So will quarantine, if you're vaccinated. That would be for you being sick or if you live with someone who is and you have to quarantine. You get paid time off. If any of those things happen and you haven't had the vax, you have to lose your personal time off. You have to use your vacation, etc. I'm glad I'm in the middle of the Pfizer shots and that I never get sick except food poisining.

Comment

• And the mask mandate is back on in my state, due to cases rising as bad as they did last year, if not worse. Thanks to the unvaccinated. I don't mind I don't think the mandate should have been dropped in the first place. But it just goes to show that rushing to open things is NOT helping at all, it's making it worse.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

• My company has postpone their big 25 Anniversary celebration. Probably not a good idea to put 95% of the employees (plus guests) in a room together for an extended period of time. While most of the employees are vaxed (we had an employee vax event), I can just see 75% of them calling out with breakthrough cases.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• My state has important health guys (TM) recommending masks and vaccinations, but I doubt it's gonna go any further than that down heah.

Sis-in-Law got a relapse of the 'Rona (had it in December, vaxxed since that time) and isn't happy; we're worried because a) relapse and b) cancer survivor, but she has already been checked out by the doctor after an afternoon in the ER and has been at home doing as much "absolutely nothing" as possible for the past few days. Her hubby (also vaxxed) and all 3 kids are down for the count, as well (too young for vax), just with milder cases. I got a scare today when I felt sick, but it turned out that I had just eaten some (apparently) bad food (my front door shares a yard with their back door).
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• I don't know if I'll continue to mask after being fully vaxxed. I don't think we have a mandate in WI. Work does; now everyone in the building, vaxxed or not, has to mask 100% of the time. (I guess you'd take it off to take a sip of your drink and I don't know what they do about people eating lunch. There are two lunch rooms but still could be hard to distance. I always used to eat at my desk.)

Comment

• Restaurants here have always gone with "You need a mask on until you are seated." When possible, they tried to do a "seat one table, skip the next" system.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• The only place I mask up anymore is when I'm taking the train, and only there because its required.

Comment

• Quoth EricKei View Post
                        Restaurants here have always gone with "You need a mask on until you are seated." When possible, they tried to do a "seat one table, skip the next" system.
                        Same here for a long time and we've gone out a few times on random weeknights when it was dead. I'm avoiding that at the moment because of Delta. I just read that the Pfizer is only 47% effective against it and Moderna is 78%. I think that means effective in preventing it; I didn't look that closely. I get my second Pfizer Monday. It's hard to know what to do but this Fall maybe it would be good for me to mask just because of seasonal sicknesses in general, like flu. I'm just at the point where my nose and mouth want to be freeeeee!

Comment

• Quoth Food Lady View Post
                          I don't know if I'll continue to mask after being fully vaxxed. I don't think we have a mandate in WI. Work does; now everyone in the building, vaxxed or not, has to mask 100% of the time. (I guess you'd take it off to take a sip of your drink and I don't know what they do about people eating lunch. There are two lunch rooms but still could be hard to distance. I always used to eat at my desk.)
                          from my understanding last years the reps and senators AND the Supream Court will not let our Governor do a mask mandate again
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

• This county is going back to requiring masks for everyone effective today, so naturally I'm looking forward to once again dealing with people pretending to have a medical condition so severe that they can't breathe through a loose-fitting piece of cloth yet are completely OK piling into a crowded grocery store during a respiratory pandemic when the temperature outside is close to 100 degrees and the sky is literally the wrong color because EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE.

I and most of the rest of my coworkers never stopped wearing ours.

Comment

• Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                              from my understanding last years the reps and senators AND the Supream Court will not let our Governor do a mask mandate again
                              You are correct on that.

Here in Minnesota, the Legislature finally voted to end the Governor's "emergency" powers, but they did not vote on legislation to prevent it from happening again.

I know my employer will not require us to wear them, unless the government forces them to - like what happened last time. I hope it doesn't happen. The panic attacks wearing that crap were getting bad at the end for me. I love my job, and they love me (I just got another raise - 3rd one in 9 months), but I don't know if I can deal with the panic attacks again.
                              "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• Quoth Smapti View Post
                                This county is going back to requiring masks for everyone effective today, so naturally I'm looking forward to once again dealing with people pretending to have a medical condition so severe that they can't breathe through a loose-fitting piece of cloth yet are completely OK piling into a crowded grocery store during a respiratory pandemic when the temperature outside is close to 100 degrees and the sky is literally the wrong color because EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE.

I and most of the rest of my coworkers never stopped wearing ours.
                                Ditto at my workplace regarding masks: coworkers and I and our customers are still almost 100% masked. Most of those unmasked are very small children who don't understand it, but even some small children are coping with masks better than I would have expected.

Also, a Harvard study has linked wildfire smoke to an increase in pandemic cases ...
                                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                                X