Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have any good exploding stories, but, I do have one good one from wiring accessories up in a pickup and one from work.

Smoke happens...
    Alrighty, my dad and I were trying to hook a scanner up in my truck (it comes in handy when your a volunteer firefighter) so it could run off of the battery instead of the cigarette plug. So, here we are in the driveway, the hood on my truck is up, both doors open, me sticking out of the driver's door, dad out the passenger's. I must have mixed a wire up or something as we kept popping fuses when I'd turn the scanner on. My dad comes up with the idea of "let's straightline it. No fuses". He gets it set up, I turn on the scanner and it works. For about five seconds. I look up so I can tell him it works when I see smoke coming from the engine compartment. This is what ensued:

ME: FUCK! SMOKE!
    Dad: Shit.... *reaching for needlenose pliers*
    ME: UNPLUG IT! FUCK, MY TRUCK!
    Dad: I'm fucking trying. *reaches for wires near the battery that go for the scanner*
    Me: *reaching under the dash to rip the wires off near the scanner*
    Dad: Ok, I got the wires off. Damn, what did we do?
    Me: Tried burning my truck. Imagine that in the paper. Two firemen burning up a vehicle in their own yard.

The only damage that was incurred was some melted wire insulation in the engine compartment, a burnt up speaker on the scanner and a wicked bad smell in the cab for about two days.

Printer go bzzt?
    Ok, one night at work one of the printers on a checklane decides to partially fail. I decide to canabalize one of the seldom used checklanes for the needed part. I go back to checklane one to plug the good one in. I plug it in, it starts initializing then, BZZT...poof...and the blue smoke appears. I jump back, startled and say "Ah...shit..." as a customer walks up to the next lane. He starts laughing as I look at him, he laughs, says "That wasn't supposed to happen, was it?". I replied "Nope...I wonder if it still works". And surprisingly...it did! All the way until the company closed. :-p
    Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

Quoth daleduke17 View Post
      Printer go bzzt?
      Ok, one night at work one of the printers on a checklane decides to partially fail. I decide to canabalize one of the seldom used checklanes for the needed part. I go back to checklane one to plug the good one in. I plug it in, it starts initializing then, BZZT...poof...and the blue smoke appears. I jump back, startled and say "Ah...shit..." as a customer walks up to the next lane. He starts laughing as I look at him, he laughs, says "That wasn't supposed to happen, was it?". I replied "Nope...I wonder if it still works". And surprisingly...it did! All the way until the company closed. :-p
      Hmm, it must have had a reserve supply of the blue smoke that makes it work.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth daleduke17 View Post

Printer go bzzt?
        Quality installation of a printer there

We use Epson receipt printers in our company and they are KNOWEN for going "Fzzt...pop!" when started up initially. it's a damn pain in the arse
        -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

A guide for customers about retail

Comment

Working...
        X