This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Sofar View Post
    Oh, and I hear those steel pennies are worth quite a bit these days. Do we still have that man what works in a coin collector's shoppe on this board? He could tell us.
    Steel cents are worth about 5-10ยข each wholesale.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
      Not for long, the mint is printing multicolored notes these days, and I for one don't like it. I liked America's monochromatic money.
      So do counterfeiters.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        So do counterfeiters.
        I don't think colored paper is going to make the process any more difficult for them. It used to be that it was all the complicated engraving that threw them off, but now we've simplified the designs on our bills.
        You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Monochromatic money was one of my brother's biggest gripes when he went to America. Australian money has different colours and sizes, depending on the denomination...
          I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

Part of our tellers' job is to keep the money supply clean. When old and tattered bills come through, they are piled and sent to the Federal Reserve as mutilated to be destroyed.

Over time I've gotten all kinds of things, foreign and domestic . .(the foreign coins I just count as whatever it most looks like) Since the bank has no use for foreign coin, I either then sell it to a cusious customer that sees it, or after a while just pitch it when I get tired of counting it.

Of everything mentioned though, nobody talked about my favorite coin, the Franklin Half. I just like the portrait of Ben Franklin on it, and that they are silver. I like the steel penny also, but haven't seen one of those in a while. (Only minted in 1943, the penny was made of steel instead of the more common copper due to the need for copper in the war the U.S. was in.)

I too like spending $2.00 bills, just for that look of when I have them.

Comment

Quoth Rahmota View Post
              Whats really fun is when I'm in full regalia for renfair and stop somewhere and pull gold coins out of my coin pouch.
              I'll have to remember that the next time I go shopping while in garb.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Over the years I've gotten a 1915 penny, a whole roll of pennies from 1945-59, a 1920 $2 bill and a 1952 $2, not to mention the occasional silver dime or quarter or half-dollar. I've saved them all.
                Customers: from 0 to stupid in 2.5 sentences.

Comment

I have bought from my drawer: $3 worth of silver quarters, 1 silver dime, coins from Korea, Germany, Canada, and Jamaica, a buffalo head nickel, and 3 steel pennies. Sometimes, people around here sometimes apparently go through their stashes of old coins, or those of a recently desceased relative, and bring them to the bank. Not very smart, but ohwell.

Comment

in NZ the notes are coloured, $5 orange, $10 blue, $20 Green, $50 purple, $100 Red

in Canada it goes $5 blue, $10 purple,$20 green, $50 and up I think are red and purple but the other way around....

Im SO used to just reaching for a colour for years and year, the last few months Ive had to be soooo careful about which colour I give out!

I had left the country (NZ) when the currency changed so I have about $5 in change thats no longer legal tender..haha. But Im collecting all the unsual canadian coins for my family and trying to get a complete set of the united states.... states coins. I have around 30 so far.
                    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                      I had left the country (NZ) when the currency changed so I have about $5 in change thats no longer legal tender..haha. But Im collecting all the unsual canadian coins for my family and trying to get a complete set of the united states.... states coins. I have around 30 so far.
                      If you're collecting Canadian, see if you can get the complete millenium quarter set. (How many are in it? I'm assuming either one per province or one per month. I've got four or so different ones now.)

Comment

I have a couple Eisenhower dollar coins. They're freaking huge.
                        I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

I once had a guy pay with a $5. I didn't notice until I was giving the next customer his change that the $5 the guy paid with had a very detailed picture of male genitalia drawn in blue Sharpie.

Not quite old, but weird nonetheless.
                          "several million years for a monkey to turn into a man. oh wait thats right. monkeys dont live several million years."
                          -FSTDT

Comment

Being a bit of a numismatist, I have found a few neat things while working at the register, and also when opening up new rolls of coins.

My favorite thing to find are old paper bills, since they don't last nearly as long in circulation as coins. So far, I've found several '80s and '70s $20s and $10s, a 1963 $1 (looks like hell, but has survived!), a 1950 $5 (found the added "WILL PAY TO THE BEARER ON DEMAND" part quite interesting when I first found it), a 1950 $10, two 1957 $1 silver certificates (anyone else come across any of these? they look similar to regular $1 bills; a pity I probably couldn't get it properly redeemed these days ), and (probably my best paper money find) a 1934 $10 (amazingly, I've seen a couple of these; I almost got one on a lotto transaction once, but the guy got $10 on a winning Mega Millions ticket, so I ended up handing it back to him since he probably would've noticed if I'd subbed in a newer bill ).

As far as coins go, I've found some neat ones. A couple of silver quarters and silver dimes (all from the early '60s), several wheat pennies (I usually root through the coin drawer looking for them before I close ), some half-dollars (including a 1976 bicentennial one), some Susan B. Anthony dollars (had to point one out to a guy who gave it to me thinking it was a quarter!), and a couple of Eisenhower dollars (the biggest coins I've ever seen). Some of my neater finds were a roll half-full of wheat pennies (including one beat-up '43 steelie) and old Canadian pennies, several rolls of pennies which probably weren't compiled any later than 1976 (probably could've gotten more for them as scrap than as pennies, if I hadn't just 'looted' them for wheat pennies ), a 1935 buffalo nickel (right on the end of a roll which had a round opening showing the first coin in the roll, too!), and a dirty 1906 Indian head penny (which I nearly gave out as change before I noticed the odd design...).
                            -Adam
                            Last edited by AdamAnt316; 01-11-2007, 04:06 AM.
                            Goofy music!
                            Old tech junk!

Comment

Canadian $50 bills are red, and $100 bills are brown.

I like loonies and toonies. I think their weight makes it harder for me to forget that I have them.

I have a Susan B dollar somewhere. I got it in some change from a subway pass machine in Manhattan. Problem was, it kept trying to disguise itself as a quarter, and I almost spent it several times.

Comment

I found a really odd thing in my drawer... it looked like a japanese(which I happen to know some of) arcade token of some sort. 0.o I had a picture up on the nets somewhere, but I forgot where, so no picts, but. Weirdness. Particularly since I've only been in that sort of position for about half a year.

As for gold coins, back at the camp where I worked one of the counselors had major vision problems. This was also just around when they came out most recently. He really liked the gold coins since he couldn't tell the difference between different bills as easily. it was really weird to take whole rolls of them for things ^^;

Comment

Working...
                                X