Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a bit of a numismatist (fancy word for "coin collector).

Once at my old job I opened a roll of pennies to find three wheat pennies from the 1910's (1911, 1914, and 1916 IIRC) as well as two indian head pennies from 1902. And I bought them all for a nickel! I was in hog heaven that day. Later that week I found a buffalo nickel (the nickel design that was around before the current ones we have now. At least the ones before the Jefferson/Monticello design).

I had a penny in my drawer the other day from 1913 and I'm pissed I forgot to take it out.

I've had my share of foriegn coins. I don't even bother with the Canadian ones anymore because I have so many (unless they're old).

The oldest bill I ever got was a $10 bill in very good shape series 1934.

Comment

I collect old coins. I'm still on the lookout for a bicentennial silver dollar.
      My Fanfic Page
      My Fiction Page
      My Social Group
      My Pet Social Group
      My You Tube Channel

Comment

I have coins from all the places I've travelled to, but that's not uncommon so nothing weird about it.

I love $2 bills and would buy them from our manager at the end of the night back at the bar. My dad collected them too and Momma let me have his collection of them. All told, I probably have $60 or $70 in just $2. I never plan to spend them though (c:

I also got, when my father passed away, everything that was in this old cigarette box he had, which included:

-- the first $10 bill he ever made at his first job (which has a series of sometime in the 50s I think)
        -- a $20 bill once he found with a year of 1932
        -- an old style $100 bill that was the first $100 that his father ever made (I'm have to check the date, my guess would be 30s)
        -- and money from when his father and great uncles were overseas in the army. Meaning English, French, German, Italian, and Japanese money from World War II (when they found money, they would keep some of it for family members back home, apparently, and daddy ended up with a lot of it)
        "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

I found a Columbian peso coin, thought it was Mexican until I read it.

Received a lot of Canadian, Seychells, Trinidad and Tabago coins - naked people on that one, German pfennig, wheat pennies and silver quarters/dimes.

Found a couple Nazi Germany pfennigs at a coin shop once.
          Last edited by Cia; 01-11-2007, 07:08 PM. Reason: spelling
          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

The coolest coins I've ever seen are/were ones from Malta. Go and search for them - they're all flower-shaped!! Seriously!!
            "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Just today, I got a 1966 5 dong (?) Viet Nam coin. It came from the bank, of all places, in a roll of quarters.
              I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Lemme see....right now I have- $1 silver certificate blue seal 1957, $1 silver certificate blue seal 1935, $2 bill red seal 1963, $5 red seal 1963(mint condition), $5 1934(good condition). 1892 Indian Head penny, 1977 Nickle(proof, mint) 3 1964 silver quarters, 2 Buffalo Nickles(can't read dates), coins and bills from all over Europe and Caribbean/South America from when I was in the Navy.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I actually have a life now!
                Work is still the same.....crackheads, drunks, idiots.
                USN Retired

Comment

Quoth purplecat41877 View Post
                  I collect old coins. I'm still on the lookout for a bicentennial silver dollar.

I have a couple of those. I would just keep your eyes open because they have a way of sneaking up on you.

Comment

I'm not a collector BUT along with a few Indian Heads I own TWO Mercury Dimes:

http://www.us-coin-values-advisor.co...rcury-dime.jpg

My hubby found one with his metal detector and the other came through my cash drawer at work. Mine are worth about $50.00 each.
                    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                    HellGate: London

Comment

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this....but $2 bills are annoying because you can't use them in any machines....and you get comments from when you try to spend them. "OOOOHHH waow! a $2 bill!" They are only worth 2 dollars and that is it....not to be a board troll or anything. $1 coins for the same reason. I do like to collect silver dollar coins though, I can't believe somebody would spend Morgan dollars in a purchase! They are worth like anywhere from 30-100s of times that! But yeah, I've had more than my share of wheat pennies and occasional buffalo nickel and Canadian money. Older Kennedy half dollars are good to collect.

Comment

Before going to re-enactments, we try to stock up on "gold" dollar coins. Something about paying sutlers (shop keepers) with "gold" makes it a bit more fun. When one of our friends found out that I usually left them as tips at resaurants, she got upset and made me promise to use paper money for that, and keep the coins for her!
                        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

http://www.revrend.net/ltr/pictures/oldnote.jpg

This, a 1929 National Currency Note, (NOT a Federal Reserve note)
                          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth squall View Post
                            Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this....but $2 bills are annoying because you can't use them in any machines.
                            You can use them in mine, thank you. Well, all the ones I have that take $5s, as well.

Comment

Quoth squall View Post
                              Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this....but $2 bills are annoying...
                              Actually, I find them and dollar coins annoying as well. There's no where in the till to keep them really. I put the coins in with my rolled change and they get in the way.

At my last job there was a biker who called himself Deuce. Nice guy, I liked him. BUT because his nickname was Deuce he felt himself very clever paying for everything with $2 bills. He could buy/rent a hundred dollars worth of stuff and he'd pay in $2 bills.
                              "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                              HellGate: London

Comment

I like getting two dollar bills when I'm at work, and I'll keep cashing them out and spending them.
                                You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Working...
                                X