This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
    You can use them in mine, thank you. Well, all the ones I have that take $5s, as well.
    I wish mine took 2s. Though only one of the three different model bill changers would really be able to.

Maybe I'm weird, but I love 2 dollar bills, and dollar coins. Not to hoard, but to circulate. I bought an SBA out of the change drawer the other day, actually. Because when those go to the bank, they tend to stick around there for a while.

I've also given a guy, from my own personal funds, 50 cents US for 1.10 Jordanian Dinar. The coin and bill look really cool, so I gave him the quarters for that. *shrugs*

However, every time I see a bicentennial quarter when I'm pulling a changer, or in the change drawer, I'll buy it out. I love those quarters ^_^.
    Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

I have found a 1952 nickle and a 5c i think from the Bahamas it was cool and had a star fish on it.
      I find lots of american change up here in my till and to be honest unless its a state quarter, which I keep, it gets left in the till, lol. American change and Canadian change kinda just gets lumped together.
      As for the Loonie and Toonie, our version of 1$ and 2$, they are great fun when you get home from the bar, sometimes you realize you could have drank alot more,lol. I think Canadian clothing companies have had to reinforce pockest due to these things.
      They also give new meaning to the words bar change, i used to leave all my coins for the bartenders but now i have to take a look before i walk away as i have recieved 16$ in change before.
      How do I set a laser printer to stun?

Comment

There was one day when I was talking to a coworker and she mentioned silver certificates. And about 5 minutes after we talked about it, I got a stack of $1 ones from someone.

I've also found a coin from Bermuda, New Zealand, and other miscellaneous areas (I'm in the U.S.). Lo and behold, all those were already in the drawer (came out of a new roll of nickels)
        "I'm not even supposed to BE here today!"

Comment

We have quite the odd collection of odd money, most of which is worth little to nothing. Right now we have money from: New Zealand, Australia, Hong Kong, China, Laos, Cambodia, Zimbabwe, Russia and Malaysia, plus some really old stuff from the UK, Holland, and Ireland.
          We also have money from Thailand, but as it's in my purse to be used, it doesn't really count. I have saved my 60-baht 'Celebration of the 60th year of the King's Reign' note, but it isn't really meant for spending anyway.
          I got really confused two Christmases ago when we went home to Canada- the Canadian $20 and the Thai B20 are exactly the same colour green, and I tried to use the wrong currency!
          Arsenic is 'natural'. Hemlock is 'organic'.

Comment

I once noticed a customer had a $20 bill from 1932 (after I had marked with a counterfiet pen! D'oh!) and advised them that while it is still legal tender, that they should save it in case it has value and use a newer bill. They did. Unfortunately, I looked up the bill's value in a price guide and found it was only worth $2 over face value. At least I tried.

Comment

Quoth Cosmic Cat View Post
              Someone tried to pay with a $1000 bill once that was dated 1912 or so. The managers stupidly took it, and it turned out to be real. They were lucky.
              No they weren't stupid. Not if they knew to sell it on Ebay for at least twice (or more!) than its face value. The SC who spent that $1000 bill at face value was the stupid one, I'm sorry to say.

Comment

I have a bunch of coins from other countries, I also have several wheat back pennies, one quarter that I can't figure out when it was minted but is pretty old, one mercury dime 1937, one nickel from 1912 which is real interesting as it does not say "five cents" on the back, it says "V cents" and the V is flanked by what looks like wheat or something, I can make out all the wordings and pictures but it is really dirty. I also have a nickel and a penny blanks, they came out of rolls of coin from the bank so I am assuming they were missed when when they were stamped. I am not sure if they are worth anything but figured I better keep them just in case. I had about 30 silver quarters from the early 40's and 6 silver half dollars from the 40's but I ended up spending them when I was really broke.

Comment

I worked as a bank teller for 2 1/2 years and collected a few odd things along the way. And not to be mean or anything, but some of the stuff people have mentioned here as being any kind of rare makes me giggle...I saw half dollars, silver coins of all kinds, and plenty of other oddities on a daily basis.
                  Anyway, some of the things in my personal "collection:"

*1963 $5 United States Note (red seal)
                  *1953 $2 United States Note (red seal) - have two of these
                  *1957 $1 Sivler Certificate (blue seal)
                  *1935 $1 Silver Certificate (blue seal)
                  *Several wheat pennies, silver dimes, quarters, and half dollars, and a couple bicentennial half dollars
                  *Several Liberty silver dollars dating from 1921-1923. And older gentleman traded them in one day, and they're all in mint condition. I bought them with the intention of selling them later, but I wouldn't have a clue where to start anyway.

On a somewhat related note, we'd occasionally have customers making large cash withdrawls balk when they were presented with $100 bills. "Don't you have any $500's or $1000's I could have instead?" Umm, no we didn't since they've been out of circulation for decades...even if we DID get some in, we wouldn't have been allowed to give them to customers, they'd have to be handed over to the federal reserve.

Comment

I have quite a collection, most of which is worthless but cool (most of it was given to me by my stepfather's late father who was in WW2). Kronur, pfennig, franc, yen notes and coins from the war, etc. Also a fair pile of currently circulated yen, hoarding for a hopeful trip to Japan at some point

I also have a few silver quarters, 2 Morgans, one or two mercury dimes, and a pawful of wheat cents (I've heard that due to the metal content those are worth a fair bit more than face value). I keep meaning to get some of the stuff appraised, but I'd like to find an appraiser where I wouldn't be pressured to sell them.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth captainvegetable02 View Post
                      *Several Liberty silver dollars dating from 1921-1923. And older gentleman traded them in one day, and they're all in mint condition. I bought them with the intention of selling them later, but I wouldn't have a clue where to start anyway.
                      If you look up "Coin Dealers" in your local Yellow Pages, you should find several numismatic shops listed. If your town is too small, try the nearest city. There are coin dealers and coin and stamp shops all over the country. You'll need to take the coins and currency into the shop for evaluation, they can't quote you a price over the phone without seeing the coins first.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I just recently got a fifty dollar bill from 1967. Fortunately I happened to have fifty dollars on me at the time.

It just occured to me that I started this thread in the wrong forum. It should have gone in General Work.
                        You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

I'll move it for you.
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Oh, here's another one -- some of the Eurocent coins are close enough in size and colour to Canadian pennies that they turn up occasionally in change.

I also just remembered a story I read when I was little, in Reader's Digest. It was submitted to one of their real-life-funny columns. This Canadian couple had been on vacation in Egypt. A restaurant in Cairo had a glass case displaying specimens of foreign paper currency which had been used to pay for meals there. The tourists reported that they couldn't see any Canadian money in the collection, but there was some Canadian Tire money.

Comment

I got a $1 marked series 1957 from a customer once (swapped it out with my dollar...just seems like something to keep as its value may increase).
                              HI, I'M NEW TO ALL OF THIS wave of approval ™©®

Comment

The new presidental $1 coins are rolling out this week, just in case people want to spend them at my store.

Oh yeah, if any of y'all happen to have any money from Ireland, Denmark, and/or Germany, I'm willing to buy it.
                                I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                                X