Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are hiring a cardiac nurse to take the place of nurse practitioners to supervise certain cardiac exams. I was asked to help out with the peer interviews since I'll be working very closely with whomever gets hired. It's a very specialized position and we're looking for seasoned nurses with cardiac experience. So really either cath lab or ICU nurses. Not fresh out of nursing school. First guy was great and I like him a lot. He's currently working psych, but has heaps of cardiac and trauma experience. Pretty sure he's going to be the one we go with, but the second person took herself out of the running fairly decisively.

In no particular order, she

--Showed up over 30 minutes late for her scheduled interview with no email or phone call to say why. Nor am I aware what (if any) excuse she offered after the fact. I get stuff happens sometimes, but it certainly wasn't a good first impression.

--Was wearing scrubs. Yes, this is healthcare, but I was always taught to dress a level above the position you're interviewing for. So in this case, you could probably get away with the more casual side of business casual, but probably not scrubs.

--When informed the interviewing manager had a meeting to get to (yunno, cuz the applicant was late), elected to sit in the waiting area and wait for the manager to get out of the meeting (which could easily last 45 minutes or more) instead of maybe trying to reschedule. This might just be my personal preference, though. Boss Lady wasn't even going to interview her at all so I'm not sure if the nurse ever got her interview or not.

--Generally came off as spacey and ditsy and unable to keep herself organized. Which is definitely not a quality you want in an environment where people's lives could be at stake. We generally have pretty walky-talky patients, but we do have some close calls from time to time.

So yeah, I'll definitely take the burly, unflappable psych nurse, thanks.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

• Wear sandals to work....

...in a factory.

#shittempsdo
      #youhavetobekiddingme
      #safetyisnotjustsomethingyousayafteryoufart
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

• What was he thinking....assuming he was?!
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

• Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          Wear sandals to work....

...in a factory.
          If you show up in unacceptable shoes at my work, we have heavy duty (uncomfortable) boots to wear, so get to work. Just because we are a bakery doesn't mean we're a bigger version of grandma's kitchen. We have a decent amount of machinery, close toed shoes are required and no, open backed clogs aren't okay either!

Anyway, my "how not to get hired" is to always rely on a friend to drive you to work and when their car breaks down you both are no-shows. My work does not care at all how you get to work, but you have to figure a way to actually get here. We lost two sets of temps this way recently. Car breaks down and/or one is sick, and neither one shows up.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            Wear sandals to work....
            ...in a factory.
            WOW where did this dry pool dive team member come from?????
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

• I've already been advised I will need steel-toed boots for my hopefully up-and-coming job, which starts in October ...

Retail, but in one of those massive warehouse-like home improvement stores.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

1) Apply for a job at a major telecom company
                2) Actually do well enough in the interview to warrant a job offer
                3) About an hour later, get busted by the interviewer for selling drugs in the parking lot.

2) Show up for the interview in loose jeans and a white t-shirt and somewhat disheveled looking
                3) During the interview ask "how many sexy ass ladies work here?".
                "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

• Oh, poor idiot #1... That was so close! I suspect #2 was only there so they could mark on their paperwork they'd been to an interview.
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

• Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                    Oh, poor idiot #1... That was so close! I suspect #2 was only there so they could mark on their paperwork they'd been to an interview.
                    That's exactly what my colleagues and I felt too.
                    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

• Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post

2) Show up for the interview in loose jeans and a white t-shirt and somewhat disheveled looking
                      3) During the interview ask "how many sexy ass ladies work here?".
                      #2-
                      Goes back to unemployment office - they didn't hire me, check please
                      AkaiKitsune
                      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

• -Apply for a job as a driver
                        -Admit after you're hired that you've only had your license for a couple of months
                        -First day driving, almost get into 2 accidents

...He lasted 3 days.

Comment

• Quoth lachesis View Post
                          -Apply for a job as a driver
                          -Admit after you're hired that you've only had your license for a couple of months

...He lasted 3 days.
                          New driver needed to get car insurance and proof of said insurance. Kept putting that off. Lasted less than 2 days (and NO he did not delivery anything during those 2 days)
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

• Quoth notalwaysright View Post

Anyway, my "how not to get hired" is to always rely on a friend to drive you to work and when their car breaks down you both are no-shows. My work does not care at all how you get to work, but you have to figure a way to actually get here. We lost two sets of temps this way recently. Car breaks down and/or one is sick, and neither one shows up.
                            These days there's Uber etc. that could help with that. Too expensive for regular commuting, but good for a crisis.

Comment

• Quoth lachesis View Post

...He lasted 3 days.
                              That long?!
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

• Be this wonder woman...
                                https://www.nbc4i.com/news/u-s-world...cil/1386868482
                                AkaiKitsune
                                Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Working...
                                X