This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Crazy Not to Share

I was at WalMart this weekend to snag a few things to take back to the dorm with me, since I had the weekend off. I go to checkout and I'm stuck behind this lady who has $300 worth of toys and electronics in her cart. To try and make pleasant conversation (so she wouldn't see me oggling at her cart to try and get ideas for Christmas) I ask "Christmas shopping?"

"Oh yes," she says. "Better to get it done now than later." She glances at my tiny stockpile of noodle soup, a jacket, shampoo, hair gel, and Kashi bars. "College student? What year?"

How the heck she guessed that I shall never know(the noodles gave it away?), but whatev. "Junior," I tell her. The cashier announces the woman's total, thus ending our conversation before she can ask about the Sox and the games as of late. She pulls out a gift card. Cashier takes it, says she still owes another $200. Woman glances at me and says "Oh, she's paying."

Wait a minute...WTF? I never said that! Hell, I don't even know you! "I never said that", I say, and the cashier nods. Any of my thoughts are in (), these were never actually said (though I wish I did, I was about to lose it big time)

"Sure you did, while we were talking a moment ago."

(Okay, kids, read that whole dialogue up there. See anything there that mentions I'd pay this lady's tab? No? Good. You shouldn't, cause I didn't.)

"Please, I just got through Hurricane Ike..." I bite back a slight snicker

(Oh no you didn't just do that. Ike was down south, Texas and the Gulf Coast. Cape Cod's an hour away from here at most. I don't think we even got the remains of the storm. That trump card's not gonna work.)

"It's the Christian thing to do!" she yells. Still I don't budge. My temple's throbbing at this point.

(Look, I'm not gonna even point to the pentacle 'round my neck, windbag. Never mind that, but I've heard that excuse so many times I wonder what is Christian anymore. It's one thing to donate a dollar or two here and there. You want me to wipe my bank account clean.)

"You're so stingy!" She's bellowing at me now since I still refuse to take out my card and swipe it for her.

(Uh...I just said the bank's closed, I'm done 'donating'. I've donated to the Jimmy Fund, Susan G. Komen, etc. all month. And while it wasn't more than a couple bucks at a time, it wasn't a three-digit figure like you're asking. I'd act differently if someone was short a few coins because I hate lugging change around.)

"You're a college student, you can afford it!"

(Say that again? I'm in COLLEGE. I barely have enough on my own for room and board, tuition, fees, etc. I'm getting loans for that. Anything else I can scrape together buys me food, clothes, and gas for field study. I'll be stuck paying off those loans after I graduate.)

Someone taps me on my shoulder and I jump a mile high. The gentleman in the lane next to mine whispers "Switch with me." Apparently he was next in line at the other lane, and wants me to jump lanes so I can get out of here before she rips me a new one for her "charity". Bless his soul. I thank him and move my purchases over to the other lane. The people behind me didn't utter a peep about me line jumping, hoping batshit crazy lady across the way would finally shut up.

Then I let it slip: Under my breath I muttered "Thank GAWD" as the new cashier went through my purchases. BSCL must have supersonic hearing cuz boy did she hear me.

"I HEARD THAT! YOU ARE CHRISTIAN! GET BACK HERE!"

Now, I don't think I've ever seen a cashier scan quite as fast as this one did ( I swear he did it in under 20 seconds), but yowza. I pay with my debit card, grab my bags, and shoot outta there. Well lo and behold BSCL follows me out, demanding I come back. As I leave I can see the greeter out of the corner of my eye on his cell phone. I later learned he called for help.

I make it to my car, toss my things in back, start it up, and start to back out when I hear banging on my trunk. She's found me, and now I'm stuck. I see what looks like a notepad: I can't believe this. She's writing down bits of info about my car!

So now I'm uber stuck. I can't back up, she's standing right there and I'll run her over if I do. I can't go forward, there's an island thing right there and I drive a Hyundai Accent, not a moon rover. Can't go to either side as two SUVs are parked. I turn the car off but keep it locked.

I hear sirens, and a small part of me gives thanks to whatever higher power summoned them (or in this case the greeter). Myself, along with several witnesses and the two cashiers and a CSR relay the whole incident. Turns out this isn't her first offense for doing so, so she gets to go for a ride and meet some new friends downtown. CSR hounds me to come back inside and my manager would "compensate" for my "inconvenience" but I declined. In all honesty I just wanted to go home and pour a stiff one and have a soak in the jacuzzi after all that.

So...*clears throat* How was everyone else's long weekend, if ya had one?

Deadly boring, and thank GAWD for that!

Since when is it the Christian thing to attempt to shanghai some stranger into paying for your (may I add, completely unnecessary) purchases?
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
      Deadly boring, and thank GAWD for that!

Since when is it the Christian thing to attempt to shanghai some stranger into paying for your (may I add, completely unnecessary) purchases?
      Since the definition of Christian changed from "Someone who folows Christ's teachings" to "Someone who think the world should bow to them because they go to church on Sundays."
      "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

I will now go hug my tv for not going insane.

Good gravy, that woman is insane and should go talk to the lovely gentlemen in the white coats!!

I would not have had that kind of patience!
        Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Congrats on not acquiring an assault charge, though no jury would convict you considering the circumstances

Just goes to show: No good deed goes unpunished, even making idle conversation.
          My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Quoth Nashida
            "You're a college student, you can afford it!"
            Seriously, wow. That women had to be crazy for her to even consider saying that.

Logic Train - Derailed
            Casualties - 2.4 million brain cells
            "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

But you're in college! Why can't your allotted ten bucks a week for food buy all my christmas gifts?! Whyyyy?

I would have probably hit her. Or lost my nerve and unleashed verbal wrath upon her, at least. Kudos to you for not.
              Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

wow..... just fracking wow

yes that is all I can do to express my confusion of this woman, and how is thank god a sign you are christian, I say it all the time and I left the church right after christining
                http://dragcave.net/user/LadyMage

Comment

If I had been you in that situation, that woman would STILL be hearing me bitch her out.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is all I can say.
                    "...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?!" ~ Kalga

"DO NOT ENRAGE THE MIGHTY SKY DRAGON." ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Wowza. The suck is strong in that one!
                      ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

I don't think I would have been as civil as you... I think I may have told her (even if its a lie) that I was atheist and if she didn't back up I'd start screaming. But I do believe I would have told her to F*** off. Kudos to you for keeping your cool though.

She's lucky you didn't back up on her. (I am not saying it would be good because I don't think violence is appropriate unless in self-defense) But if someone followed me out to my car and pounded on it and if I felt threatened enough... But No, you did awesome and did the right thing.

Comment

Woot... College students have money now... when do I get my check

as soon as she pulled "but it's the christian thing to do" my frst response would be "well thank God I'm Mormon and you think I'm a heretic already"

OK, so lapsed Mormon, but she wouldn't have to know that
                          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

However you mananged to not go off on her with a barrage of F-bombs & other colorful words is beyond me. I would have ripped her a new asshole.

Comment

Seriously, and in all honesty, the CSR ( and later the manager) told me this isn't the first time she's outright attacked another consumer. This lady has three different PCAs, and one such PCA likes to "split up" while doing their shopping. This is probably what happened in this case. It's kinda sad, in a sense, and it really isn't that common that a PCA abandons their paitent. Hopefully BSCL's family finds a new one after this incident (and maye gets some stronger meds!)

And the picking up the tab bit...maybe one of the PCAs does that from time to time, but I can't see how anyone could afford a $200 tab, especially the way she's spending her cash.

To be honest, I'm still in shock. Scared shitless, really. No one's ever had the balls to do that to me, never find follow me to the car and bang on it. Last time anyone banged on my car was my brother because I had locked him out, but that's totally different.

Comment

Working...
                              X