This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The PASSION ....

Note: in my mind this seemed like the logical place to put this post... if I am incorrect please move as needed.

Irv's latest post involving the lady with the passion of Christ shirt reminded me of this one.

It happened when the movie first came out... I was drug along to see it with my family. So we are watching the movie... and you know... Jesus is getting the **** beat out of him ... but we all know this Right? I mean... that's how the story goes... but this lady sitting next to me is SOBBING. And I don't mean the quiet type of crying.... like the wailing you can hear across the whole theater, squishy snotty intake of breath and "OHMYGODSOBSOBSOB" kind of sobbing. And everyone is just kind of looking at her like WTF. I mean yeah there are lots of people crying, but no one is making THAT much of a scene.

So we get to the point in the movie when you know there is whipping and crucifying. and she lets out this MONSTROUS wail. And it just took me so off guard that I...laughed. not loud... but loud enough that my mom elbowed me, and this lady looks at me with this DEATH GLARE and tells me I am going to hell. No really she did.... and so...I ....laughed....again. She got up and moved for the last 20 min of the movie... and after wards in the lobby just kept looking at me like I was SATAN!

No I don't want to start a religious debate, and I think it is fine to get emotional about a movie, especially if it is something you feel deeply about.... But come on... she just sucked the enjoyment out of it for the rest of the theater.... like some joy sucking black void....
    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
    -Red

But she's the most pious one in the room, right?

Comment

So in other words, she seemed "cross" with you?

(gonna get nailed for that one!)
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

She did know that was a movie, right? That it was just an actor? It wasn't REALLY Jesus getting whipped up there?

Just to clarify. I mean, its sad, but... Yeah. O_o That's crazy.
        Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

No lie, I accidentally did the same thing in church once. I was young, probably around 13, 14 and it was someone new to our church who was very enthusiastic.

I hate when anyone makes excessive noise or distractions during any film. It takes you out of the moment and suddenly, instead of buying into the world on film, you're back in a dirty movie theater with some snot-covered stranger next to you.

Don't scream, don't yell out "look behind you", shut the baby up, and I don't care how cute the male lead is you'll never date him when you're 20 because you're a little annoying brat.

Yeah. I've got a LOT of movie peeves.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post

Oh Nailed! Double pun ><

Quoth Hyena Dandy View Post
            She did know that was a movie, right? That it was just an actor? It wasn't REALLY Jesus getting whipped up there?
            I really just wanted to look her right in the eye and say "Look lady... I don't want to spoil it for you... but He DIES at the end." *sighs*
            "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
            -Red

Comment

Quoth Red_Dazes View Post
              I really just wanted to look her right in the eye and say "Look lady... I don't want to spoil it for you... but He DIES at the end." *sighs*
              ...but... he comes back! RIGHT!?!? PLEASE TELL ME HE COMES BACK!!!!!

Quoth jjllbb View Post
              Don't scream, don't yell out "look behind you", shut the baby up, and I don't care how cute the male lead is you'll never date him when you're 20 because you're a little annoying brat.
              I agree, with ONE exception. It was a few years ago and me and my roommates went to see House of 1000 Corpses. Theater was PACKED.

Well, there's one scene, where everything kinda goes into slow motion, and one of the characters shots and kill one cop, and then the cops partner start crying and falls to his knee begging for mercy. Well the killer-guy walks up to him and holds the guy to his, right between his eyes, and just stand there... and the music cuts out. No sound, nothing, just dead silence.

but he doesn't pull the trigger... so we wait

and wait

and wait

and WAIT.

The entire theater, was sitting there, quiet, then people started laughing cause he was STILL standing there. Then you start hearing people start to shout "SHOOT EM!" "KILL HIM ALREADY!"... and then...

*BANG*

and the whole theater cheered.

It was such a long pause, as to be ridiculous, but I'm sure that's what Rob Zombie was going for. (He even put a fireworks sound effect over the gunshot, rather than just a standard gunshot sound)
              <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

I actually enjoyed about 75% of the movie up until the point where the violence just got way too excessive. I was thinking to myself, "Jesus Christ, just nail the guy up already". I thought it was well shot (cinematography wise) and I loved the concept of using Latin, Aramaic and Hebrew for the speaking parts. I wish more directors would shoot movies in their proper languages (They used to do war movies where the Germans would...oh I don't know...speak in German instead of in bad German accents).

What I don't get is how all the religious folks flocked to it. If it were a movie about a gang terrorizing some folks, it would have been condemned for the over the top violence.

Anyways, as for the displays of emotion...I save that for watching movies at home.

Comment

I went to see Gone with the wind on stage once, some jackass yelled the I don't give a damn line right as the actor was about to.

Then when I saw fellowship, someone yelled bullseye right as Boromir was shot for the last time.

no matter how funny you think you are, you're not.
                  Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                  Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post

Baker! Another box of hot cross puns!
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

When I went to see Macbeth with my English class in the 11th grade, the guy (some random guy, not school affiliated) got a little to uh... passionate... about Lady Macbeth. He was grunting and moaning whenever she was on screen. Scared the crap out of me and my friends! I think we were too young to realize we could report the pervert.

Comment

My husband and I were ill mannered enough to eat popcorn during The Passion. We got some very dirty looks...heheheh
                        "No, I will not poop a shopping cart out for you." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                          I wish more directors would shoot movies in their proper languages (They used to do war movies where the Germans would...oh I don't know...speak in German instead of in bad German accents).
                          I've always liked the idea of a movie, if it is intended for primarily English speaking audiences, but set in a non-English speaking place, starting out in the language of wherever it's set, then slowly fading into English.

I don't know if it would actually work out the way I've envisioned it, but I feel like it would help set the scene.
                          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                            I've always liked the idea of a movie, if it is intended for primarily English speaking audiences, but set in a non-English speaking place, starting out in the language of wherever it's set, then slowly fading into English.

I don't know if it would actually work out the way I've envisioned it, but I feel like it would help set the scene.
                            Actually "Valkyrie" did that. It started out in German and faded into English. I though it was very cool. even though I didn't get to watch the whole movie cause I had to go shop for food...
                            -Red

Comment

I think if someone let out a loud strange wail in the middle of a movie theatre, it's only natural to laugh. From the way you described it, it was almost an involuntary laugh (one you could not help anyways)

Comment

Working...
                              X