This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheard at a Plus-Sized Woman's Store

This is a suck/awesome employee overheard (not sighting) piece that happened today.

I had to go to a plus-sized woman's store ('cos I'm plus-sized and happy) that starts with a T ends with a D and is owned by Hot Topic today to replace an undergarment and I wandered around the store, trying on things, picking things up, etc.

As I was approaching where the cash is, I overheard this conversation:

Manager or Sales Associate (not sure which) talking in a sing-song voice:

Hi! Is this Gloria*? This is Raven* from T----d. I wanted to let you know that I have your card. Someone tried to use it, but I stopped them from doing so! Yes, OMG, I know! Do you know how to get back to the store? <proceeds to give directions>. I'll be here when you pick up the card. You'll be here within an hour? And please bring a photo ID. Thanks!"

I went up to the cash and told the woman I thought she was awesome! Then I got the rest of the story:

Seems a woman had lost her purse or wallet or even just her card, not sure what happened. And this other woman must have gotten a hold of at least the card, and proceeded to try to use it at the store. This Associate asked to see the woman's ID and realized the names didn't match and neither did the signatures and called mall security/cops, etc.

*Names changed to protect the innocent & 'cos I can't actually remember the names.

Yay! And I wish we had T----d up here in Canada.

Comment

Well, that's great the employee didn't let the other woman use the card and the police got hold of her. Of course, lady got her credit card back.

Anyway the store you were talking about isn't in my area (the closest is in Greensboro) so I wasn't sure what it was so I looked it up on the Internet (we do have other plus-size stores) and I didn't know Hot Topic owned another apparel company either. I've think it's wonderful more companies are marketing to woman of all shapes/sizes* and making stylish clothes available for every size. Even through I'm not a plus-size girl (well, I sometimes wear a 12 but most of the time it's a petite size, yeah I'm 5'3") but I do know woman who are including family members. I remember when my mom who is plus-size and I were shopping for dresses for a relative's wedding it took us a while to find a dress becuase we partically went all over town to find something we both liked. Well, I eventually found one at Sears and my mom wasn't having any luck finding one for her. She eventually found one at a plus-size store outside the mall well, I thought becuase she didn't like it and exchange it for another dress. We also had another relative's wedding to go to a few months later but we didn't go all over town to find stuff to wear because it tired us out the last time.
      Last edited by rdp78; 01-23-2007, 03:31 AM. Reason: change, added something, *made something better see below
      Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
      My space
      Facebook

Comment

Quoth rdp78 View Post
        I didn't know Hot Topic owned another apparel company either.
        and Hot Topic is owned by the Gap-yay!

Quoth rdp78 View Post
        I think it's wonderful more companies are marketing to real woman
        Um ouch! does that mean that because I'm a size 6 I'm not real, or just that it's ok to pick on me about it-(sorry I've dealt with severe harassment from plus-sized ladies that thought* it was perfectly ok to call me "skinny minnie" or poster child for anorexia, and then complain if anyone said the slightest thing about them.)

*It is never OK to say anything about another person's size/weight

BlaqueKatt-who is a recovering anorexic/Bulimic
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
          and Hot Topic is owned by the Gap-yay!
          Huh, so that's why all their "alternative" clothing is suspiciously Gap-like to me. I honestly did not know that.

Does anyone here know if they still do the stamp cards? I have a full one I've been carrying around for years and was wondering if trying to use it would make me an SC

I think rdp meant "real woman" in the sense of the newer Dove ads (women with curves instead of the stereotypical Hollywood skin-and-bones look).
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            Huh, so that that. 's why all their "alternative" clothing is suspiciously Gap-like to me. I honestly did not know
            most people don't-personally I pay no real attention to labels on clothing-if I like it, it fits me(and my clothing budget) I buy it. I have clothes from HT, the Gap, AE outfitters, and alot of other "mall stores". However I do find it kind of fun to tell the little Wannabes that insult any clothing store but HT, that it's owned by the Gap-the look on their faces is priceless

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            Does anyone here know if they still do the stamp cards?
            oh yes I have several of them, that's one of the reasons I shop there, that and the CSRs are genuinely nice-one even helped me pick out hair dye(teal blue) that looks totally awesome!
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

That was an awesome store employee! Kudos to her and to you for giving her positive praise.

I didn't know HT was owned by Gap. That's freaking hysterical. Next time a bunch of kids wearing HT clothes causing trouble comes in (not that they all do but I encounter the ones occasionally that proclaim loudly how they are witches and they are really just little "play-gans") I'm going to tell them all they are really shopping at the Gap.

I can't wait to see the look on their faces!!! Oh joy..
              If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

, as usual... I didn't know Hot Topic was owned by The Gap!!!!! Oh, well, HT was going too "punk" for me, anyway. I'll just go to Goodwill and whatnot and do my own thing.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I think HT is getting too emo and fake.

They have some really funny shirts and I admit I buy a lot of my tshirts for work at either HT or Spencers, but HT is becoming really poser and stupid. I don't think it's a lifestyle store anymore.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Occasionally you can pick up a decent waistcoat at Hot Topic.

By the way, any thread even remotely related to gothiness is over when someone uses the word "poser."
                    You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

I think fashion trends have perhaps shifted the word 'poser' to emo kids instead - just an observation from the sidelines.

Rapscallion

Comment

I've been thinking of writing a letter to Torrid headquarters and was wondering how I should word the leter (or even if I should write the letter). Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                          I think fashion trends have perhaps shifted the word 'poser' to emo kids instead - just an observation from the sidelines.

Rapscallion
                          Fact. Also, emo kids are far more hysterical than fake goths every were. Especially what with the reverse mullet hair effect.

As for the plus size stores, the only one I know of round here is Evans. I never frequent it, cuz the clothes are a bit too preppy for me, and I can buy a 16 in most shops.
                          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                            I've been thinking of writing a letter to Torrid headquarters and was wondering how I should word the leter (or even if I should write the letter). Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
                            Of COURSE you should write the letter.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Yes Becky, I will write that letter! (I found my receipt with the employee's name on it). However, should I send it via snail mail to the corporate headquarters or via PFB? My enquiring mind wants to know!

Comment

Working...
                              X