Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 10-year-old autistic nephew is well-behaved. Perhaps it's because he has a drill sergeant for a mother who has been through this before with me.

Maybe it's time his parents gave Damien some tough love so that this won't happen again.
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
      Calling the police for an autistic kid is somewhat excessive.
      I think that depends on who you are. I feel able to deal with most violent or 'traumatic medical' incidents without getting phased in the slightest - however nothing in any of my training or experience has given me any tools to deal with a kid having a violent tantrum. I only have a vague idea of what 'excessive force' is when applied to a child and would probably not feel I was in a position to do anything.

Just like I take for granted that some incidents seem easy to handle or (almost) normal to me I think people who are used to behavioural disorders acclimatise to that type of carry-on. Whereas you might know that the child will likely only go to X length to hurt themselves or others and that you can calm them down by taking Y action the rest of us are completely without this information.

Comment

Noone's suggesting that the police be called for the sake of arresting anyone. The reason for calling police is so that someone who is trained to handle potential violence in as non-violent a way as possible; be the one who handles it.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

A few years ago and I would have said "Autism was a possibility".

Today...I'm thinking that it is equally likely that this is one more child raised by no one, never disciplined in any fashion that means a damn thing and this is the result.
          I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
            Noone's suggesting that the police be called for the sake of arresting anyone. The reason for calling police is so that someone who is trained to handle potential violence in as non-violent a way as possible; be the one who handles it.
            That's exactly it. The Police are (well, should be anyway?) able to deal with the situation in a more competent way than, let's say, me.
            Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
            A few years ago and I would have said "Autism was a possibility".
            Today...I'm thinking that it is equally likely that this is one more child raised by no one, never disciplined in any fashion that means a damn thing and this is the result.
            Sad but true. But... to THOSE limits?
            Aye, possibly.
            FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

I believe that. When my mom was working for the crazy family in the next town, their youngest boy was like that. He wasn't autistic (not that we could tell), just really horribly behaved; brought up to get his own way and that it was OK to manipulate, lie and have massive tantrums (including physical violence) when he didn't.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
                And for the record, being young/small doesn't mean you aren't physically dangerous, a lesson I took to heart years ago when I was stabbed by a 12 year old.
                Is this the story you were referring to? Yikes! It's scary how violent children can be.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

My mom teaches kids who live in a psychiatric facility. They are 1st and 2nd graders (6-7 years old) and have thrown chairs and desks at her or other kids. There are special security guards they can call when the kids get really violent and they are put in a padded room until they calm down.

So yeah, kids can be seriously dangerous, even at that age- it doesn't help that kids in general are getting bigger and stronger than before thanks to better nutrition.
                  https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Whether it's mental or not - the kid was dangerous! I don't blame Gma in trying to please/use her voice in getting her way; if she knew the kid was violent, she might have been trying to save her own bacon by not using physical measures to get kiddo moving.
                    I personally have NOT dealt with kids who are special needs + violent/disorderly. I have NOT dealt with kids who are violent (except my 3 yr old who thinks headbutting is cool..grr)
                    When I DO see a kid starting to really fuss and go down hill, I try to distract by making silly faces, peekaboo, key chains, anything else to stop munchkin from getting fussier. Works most of the time.
                    Hat off to you, being able to get kiddo out!
                    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                      Chiming in with the "autistic meltdown" theory as well. Lil' Zel doesn't have a meltdown in public usually (at least while he's with me or Mr Zel, we can tell if/when something upsets him so we can diffuse the conflict way ahead if needed), but when he has one, he goes NUCLEAR to the point that he actually even can't remember what happened.
                      I get those levels of meltdown(very rarely), I'm an adult, I'm sure it's terrifying for those around me. It's been described to me as "you become a feral, demonic, banshee intent on destroying the world and anyone or thing around you.
                      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Wow, you're nicer than I would have been.

Comment

Closed - with apologies to the OP. Not your fault people started fratching to the degree that it was no longer salvageable.
                          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                          X