Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Are We Still Dealing With This ID Shit???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Are We Still Dealing With This ID Shit???

I've got a few stories I've been saving up, and I generally like presenting multiple stories for your viewing pleasure. But yesterday's SC changed that, so I'm posting now and just about him.

Yesterday was, overall, a good day. The busiest and most lucrative day I've had in a few weeks, as things seem to have slowed down here in Paradise. Well, it was mostly good, anyway....I only remember one customer being a cock, so the rest must have been cool.

Prelude: an older couple and a woman about my age come into my bar. They sit down, we go through the preliminaries, they ask for food menus, and they order drinks. I card the younger woman. She's thrilled. She's also convinced I'm clearly far younger than her. Her ID tells me I'm actually two years older than her. We high five over this. She loves me. After all, who doesn't love being carded once they're over 40?

I make them drinks, and they order food. The younger woman orders a lot of food, which seems odd, but afterwards they explain to me a fourth is on his way. Cool.

And a little bit later, before the food has come out, Mr. Fourth arrives. He is significantly younger than any of us, possessing a baby face. He orders a drink. I ask for his ID. He produces one.

This might be a good time to point out that the very day before, we had one of our three-times-a-year safe alcohol vendor seminar. Not that I don't know the rules of even the complete spiel of the seminar presenter. (I've known him for nine years plus, as he's presented this seminar to places I've worked for down here for that long or longer, but we definitely remember each other from when I worked for the fine dining establishment on the beach in '05.) Part of the seminar presentation is that an expired ID is invalid for purposes of alcohol purchases.

So, back to the story! He presents his Georgia Driver's License. Which I notice is unlaminated, and I remark on it. Hey, these things happen. But then I notice something odd. His unlaminated ID is expired. And not very recently, either, but in January. Which results in this conversation....

ME: "I'm sorry, sir, but your ID is expired."
    SC: "It doesn't expire."
    ME: "Um, yes sir, right here, it says 'expires 1/7/2014.'"
    SC: "Wow, really? Oh, it does."
    ME: "Yep. Do you have any other form of ID?"
    SC: "No."
    ME: "I'm sorry, sir, but under Florida law, I cannot accept an expired ID for alcohol purchases."
    SC: *stares at me unpleasantly*
    ME: "Can I get you a soda or something?"
    SC: "No." *looking very unhappy and unpleasant*
    ME: "Well, if you need anything, just let me know."

And I go about taking care of other customers. And as I'm pouring a beer for someone else, I see him drinking from the younger woman's beer. And I react immediately.

ME: "Sir, I can't have you drinking at my bar if you don't have a valid ID!"

And he looks irritated. Let's just call it what it is: pissed off.

And shortly thereafter, he looks at me and says, "Ya know what? Just cancel my food."
    ME: "What?"
    SC: "Cancel my food. I don't want it anymore."

At this point I know three things.
    1. He won't budge.
    2. His food is already cooked, or just about done, based on the time since his friend ordered it.
    3. There is no way in hell now I am serving this douchebag a fucking drink.

So I tell one of the servers to go tell the chef to cancel the item in question. She does, and as I expected, the head chef comes out to ask me about it. Before he can say a thing, I just tell him, "Cancel it. I know. I'll explain it all later."

So I continue to go about my business, including serving other customers and delivering the rest of the food to SC's friends, who are starting to look embarrassed.

At this point, I'm still being friendly and apologetic to SC, though he's clearly upset. At one point, when I'm expressing my apologies, he snarks off, "It's okay. I know you can't read." Meaning I can't read the birth date on his expired and therefore invalid ID.

I'm about to explain to him yet again the legalities involved, but after only getting out a "Sir, under the laws--" he cuts me off.

SC: "No. Just don't even talk to me!"

Alrighty then! If that's the way you want it, I'm totally fine not dealing with your dumb rude ass.

So I go about my business, dealing with other customers and SC's friends, completely ignoring him, as he pretends to completely ignore me. But he can't resist continuing to rant to his friends about me.

SC: "If a cop pulled me over, he'd be understanding about this, knowing these things happen." Apparently indicating he'd lost his regular ID, and this was a replacement. Ignoring the fact that his "temporary" ID had been expired for four months at this point.

But let's address the cop thing. First of all, some cops might have let him go with nothing more than a warning to get the ID updated. Many would not, and would issue him a ticket for driving without a valid license. Since, ya know, an expired license is invalid. Secondly, cops have such leeway. I do not. If I served him without him having a valid ID and got busted for it, I'd lose my job, be charged with a crime, have a court date, have to appear before a judge, likely be required to pay a hefty fine, and become virtually unemployable in my chosen industry. But of course to him, his unhappiness and inconvenience is far more important than my potential legal issues.

He ended up leaving before his friends, and for what other patrons at the bar told me later, the younger woman ended up out on the street crying over the whole thing. Guess he was her boyfriend or something, though she could clearly do better and more mature (see below). The older couple were absolute sweethearts, and tried explaining away the guy's douchebaggery, but even my other customers were incensed by his behavior.

So I'm sure you guys are wondering how old this guy was. After all, if he was 55, he might have a point.

Well, his girlfriend (if that's what she was) was 42, and was tickled pink that I carded her.

According to SC's ID, he was all of 25. And he had a baby face.

Sorry, Charlie, but if you look that young and you are that young, and the laws say I can't take your expired ID, guess what?

I'm not taking your fucking ID. And I'm not fucking serving you.

Good day, sir! You lose!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

My guess is GF is getting a bit desperate in the date department, and somehow latched on to this guy thinking he was her knight in shining armor. I'm also guessing this was either a first family vaycay or her introducing the BF to her parents.

She just saw his true colors (the truest measure of someone is how they treat a perceived inferior, not how they treat equals or their superiors). Hope she dumps the dirtbag; it isn't going to get any better for her from here.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
      My guess is GF is getting a bit desperate in the date department, and somehow latched on to this guy thinking he was her knight in shining armor. I'm also guessing this was either a first family vaycay or her introducing the BF to her parents.

She just saw his true colors (the truest measure of someone is how they treat a perceived inferior, not how they treat equals or their superiors). Hope she dumps the dirtbag; it isn't going to get any better for her from here.
      Sweet jumping jebus - get the hence to a military base, you can find guys in pretty much every age range that are looking for girlfriends ... don't put up with the sucky morons like that loser.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
        Sweet jumping jebus - get the hence to a military base, you can find guys in pretty much every age range that are looking for girlfriends ... don't put up with the sucky morons like that loser.
        Great generalization. And amusingly ironic, since this guy was, according to the very sweet parents, a veteran. So I'm gonna disagree with you on this one, since clearly being military or former military doesn't automatically disqualify one from being a sucky moron or loser.

Not that I needed this incident to tell me that, as I've dealt with plenty of military idiots before. Anyone else here remember my story a few years ago about Captain Douchebag?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Not that I needed this incident to tell me that, as I've dealt with plenty of military idiots before. Anyone else here remember my story a few years ago about Captain Douchebag?
          No, but you have my attention!

ID can be a prickly thing for some people, but I just don't get it it - had a similar story a couple of months back which boils down to no ID, no pick up.

Comment

If this had happened to me, yeah, I'd be upset, but only at myself, and wishing I had the foresight to get a new ID before I had gone on vacation. These idiots either don't care or are simply ignorant that they, a complete stranger, are asking you to break the law and risk criminal liability which could get you fired, fined, jailed, or all of the above... just so they can engage in a leisurely activity.
            Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
            Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
            Fiancee: What?!
            Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Great generalization. And amusingly ironic, since this guy was, according to the very sweet parents, a veteran. So I'm gonna disagree with you on this one, since clearly being military or former military doesn't automatically disqualify one from being a sucky moron or loser.

Active duty, not vet - active duty *have* to behave or they will be in a world of shit if they get reported for anything abusive to the command, or if they are spotted out in town being serious assholes. While yes you will run into in occasional jerk, in roughly 30 years of living and interacting near military bases as a dating age female I have seen about 5 guys that were drunk and disorderly brigged for what you could barely get a civilian cop to pay attention to, at least 4 guys given restriction and masted [sort of the Judge Judy of the military world, though the consequences are quite real and can fuck you up if it is serious enough, but the punishment has the ability to stay in your job area rather than go to the JAG - official judiciary of the military]
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Good job OP...as I've said a million times you never know if that guy could've been testing you for ID compliance.

Comment

Wow, 25 in chronological years, 5 in mental-maturity years. Boo hoo, can't have a drink, my whole life is ruined!

And whoever heard of an ID that doesn't expire? Even if there is one, he was clearly wrong about his. Crybaby.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                    “A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.” - Dave Barry

And they're usually the person going on about how "nice" they are...
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

No valid id if carded, no service. It can't get any more basic than that.

Which reminds me, I need to renew my DL in the next 2 months.
                      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                        Which reminds me, I need to renew my DL in the next 2 months.
                        Mine once got forgotten until six weeks after expiration. Then I happened to watch a sitcom episode in which the main character found that his had expired two years earlier.

I now have my computer set to remind me six months in advance. Last time, I made that a combined visit with my license plate (which expires 4.5 months before my driver's license).

Comment

A few months ago I went to buy cigarettes. The clerk carded me. I handed over my license. She looked at me and said "Ma'am, did you know your license is expired?" I said "Oh, shit! No. I'm sorry". Before she could even tell me that she couldn't sell me my age restricted product, I handed over my passport, since that's far from expiring, then went home and did what I needed to do to get my license replaced. Then again, I'm not an SC.
                          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

How easy does the USNA military toss you in gaol? Is it something you have to work for, or is it just done if you look the wrong way at someone?

I ask because we had 5 guys in my unit get into a brawl at the cricket and tossed into the local lockup. We had to go and wait while the Sarge bailed them out that night after the cricket finished, and all that happened was 4 weeks extra duties.

Comment

my license doesn't expire for like 40 years....

Comment

Working...
                              X