Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Are We Still Dealing With This ID Shit???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does drinking a soda ruin your meal? A normal person wouldn't be that upset over one meal without a beer. What an ass.

Comment

Quoth dakhur View Post
      How easy does the USNA military toss you in gaol? Is it something you have to work for, or is it just done if you look the wrong way at someone?

I ask because we had 5 guys in my unit get into a brawl at the cricket and tossed into the local lockup. We had to go and wait while the Sarge bailed them out that night after the cricket finished, and all that happened was 4 weeks extra duties.
      They got done in by a Captain's Mast. Remember I said there were 2 things, a mast or going before the JAG and the base Magistrate - the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony more or less. The UCMJ [Uniform Code of Military Justice] outlines the behaviors and punishments allowable. To civilians, some of the articles are pretty arcane [there is one that is more or less 'because I said so']

And Navy gets brigged as a local restriction area [ship or on land it is still called the brig. I seem to remember it is because old junked brigantines were used to house naval prisoners in the harbor. ] There is a major Federal military slammer at Fort Leavenworth KS, and there are assorted lesser prisons dotted around. There used to be a notorious one on Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery ME, though it was decomissionned and stands empty. Interesting duty station, Rob was there with the USS Maine the *previous* refit, you know, the one where the contractor DIDN'T set the damned boat on fire ... I can remember studying a particular treaty back in High School, and while driving around base I spotted the building it was ratified in, went in and the room was more or less unchanged
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
        Why does drinking a soda ruin your meal? A normal person wouldn't be that upset over one meal without a beer. What an ass.
        Because soda is generally viewed as a "kiddie" beverage*, and no one wants to be the one guy nursing a Coke while everyone else at the table is having a beer, or shots, or whatever. Doesn't excuse the guy from being an asshole, or for not renewing his license MONTHS earlier, but I can see why someone would be upset.

*For the record, I detest the taste of alcohol, and only drink soda and other non-alcoholic brews.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
          Because soda is generally viewed as a "kiddie" beverage*, and no one wants to be the one guy nursing a Coke while everyone else at the table is having a beer, or shots, or whatever. Doesn't excuse the guy from being an asshole, or for not renewing his license MONTHS earlier, but I can see why someone would be upset.
          as someone who has never been a drinker and never will be i find people who think me getting a soda or water instead of alcohol annoying beyond messure. it cost one waiter his tip once. he kept asking and asking and asking if i wanted alcohol in everything from wanna try our new margiritas to are you sure you dont want a reqal drink i promise you its not to late. even after i told him i dont drink

Comment

I know a few people who hate the taste of alcohol, hate the sensation of intoxication, and generally deprive no joy from drinking at all, but do it because they fear being mocked for drinking water/soda instead. And that's kinda sad...

I don't drink myself, and nobody's ever given me anything for it..... I wonder if I just hang out with a very understanding lot?
            Last edited by Peppergirl; 05-15-2014, 08:24 AM. Reason: Removed the 'not to fratch..' since it wasn't fratching.
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I've had reactions from disdain to disbelief to derision to respect for not drinking, but it's really no one else's business. (Sugar is my vice)

Comment

Heh, I got slightly buzzed on Saturday at my birthday dinner and I was a bit surprised, but then we sat at the bar first before eating, and I hadn't had lunch so yeah...

And, um, now that I think about it, no one asked for ID....Oh well, happens when you get to a certain age...dammit
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                  I've had reactions from disdain to disbelief to derision to respect for not drinking, but it's really no one else's business. (Sugar is my vice)
                  Here's a quote I'm still trying to memorise:

‘…I’m less of man because I choose to drink tap water? …There is nothing “ooh ducky” about being teetotal, about walking into a pub after a rugby match and ordering a tap water at a bar packed full of big ugly bastards wearing war paint. That, my friend, takes confidence, yeah? I’m talking balls.’ — Andy (Nick Frost), “The World’s End”
                  "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                    i find people who think me getting a soda or water instead of alcohol annoying beyond messure.
                    At one time in my life I drank a lot. My "friends" also drank lots, and after I stopped drinking we did not seem to have anything in common. I had not been to my "friends" house for 6 months, when his wife rang me and invited me to his birthday party.

I went as it was one of those birthdays that ends in a zero, and seemed to be a big deal to them. I arrived with a large bottle of coke (and nothing else) and refused offers of any alcoholic drinks. After about an hour two of my "friends" approached me and insisted that I have a beer "for his birthday".

I refused and was told "One won't hurt you."

My point was not that "one would hurt me" but that I didn't want a beer and was not going to have a beer. The more they pestered me the more I was sure I wasn't going to have one (that wouldn't hurt me).

The argument was getting close to violence when the wives intervened and dragged the two of them away, so I left. I have not been back since and I have not found out if "one would hurt me" as I have still not had a drink.

It's not that I was addicted to it, it's is somewhat that excess was not good for my health, but the whole reason why I stopped was that I got sick of the taste and smell of it, I got sick of the affects on my mind and body in the short and long term and I just decided to stop.

The sight of two idiots, drunk and obnoxious after only an hour or two of drinking made me realise that I was like that when I was drinking with them. Their drunken antics made me determined not to drink, not that night, not ever again.

Comment

my license doesn't expire for like 40 years....
                      Yay Arizona! "We'll just assume you remember every fiddly little detail of driving... until you kill someone."
                      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                        Yay Arizona! "We'll just assume you remember every fiddly little detail of driving... until you kill someone."
                        What, like the DMV anywhere actually checks your driving skills when you renew? In Ohio, we just go pay the fee and they print the new license. If you don't get a court ordered driver's training, its assumed you can do decently enough. Oh, they do check your eyes if you have the glasses mark of your license.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Iowa has online license renewal. I'll let you all think about the non-intelligence and possible consequences of that. As for the OP, I had this happen to me at work just last night. Girl wanted smokes, but had an expired ID. Thankfully, she was more understanding (at three years younger than the SC in the OP) than your douche was, Jester.
                          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I was in the Air Force many moons ago and worked in the chaplains' office. We had one chaplain who was Mormon and the guys in the office (who could really be buttheads sometimes) were ribbing him about not drinking. His reply? "I do drink. I just drink water."
                            "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

I like most alcoholic drinks - but I make my living from my driving licence. I'll not touch alcohol if I'm driving inside ten hours.
                              My boss threw a Christmas party last year. He own some wheelchair buses, a few trucks and the taxi I drive. Out of twenty-some people at the party, nice inn, buffet and free bar, three drank a few beers. The rest of us drank soft drinks.
                              The waiters were surprised, but accepted my boss's explanation: They are drivers, if they lose their licence, they will be fired .

Comment

as someone who has never been a drinker and never will be i find people who think me getting a soda or water instead of alcohol annoying beyond messure. it cost one waiter his tip once. he kept asking and asking and asking if i wanted alcohol in everything from wanna try our new margiritas to are you sure you dont want a reqal drink i promise you its not to late. even after i told him i dont drink
                                That was extremely insensitive of Grover, sorry, your waiter for persisting in the upselling of adult beverages...for all he knew you (or someone you know) could be a recovering alcoholic, or pregnant or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X