This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broomjockey:
    And if you have a problem with the language used in a post, report it. Nothing changes without a report. Being offended in-thread changes nothing. People don't use the report button enough, but instead decide to either quietly be offended, or make it their personal mission to fix it themselves. This is why we're here people! We don't bite! Honest!
    Well for a few reasons:
    1: the language isnt really strong enough usually to warrant an official writeup and all that.

2: In some ways I'm probably letting it rankle me a bit more than I should. People dont know any better and without chasing them around with a rolled up newspaper they arn't going to change their attitude about things. I probably should take the advice of my own sig. Although I warn others that if i say somethign negative about city dwellers to take it in the same vein.

3: No matter how nice or polite you guys are this is mainly a perceptual problem and bringing big brother into this is kinda like using the cops for a thoughtcrime instead of a realcrime. So again I probably tend to report less than I might or possibly should.

4: I'm more of a confronter than a runner to authority. Personal attitudes. I'm gettign a lot better at it than I used to be though.

5: Still gettign used to the fact that not all moderators have a personal power trip against those they disagree with. Been burned on a couple boards and banned from one for life for disagreeing with a moderator over politics and then them abusing their power against me on a personal vedetta.

6: Maybe by discussing it instead of just playign tattle and lettign someone know they bothered someone with their comments it might help them think more about it instead of just getting resentful at authority for stepping on their toes and accusing them of thoughtcrime.

7:maybe I'm reading too much into this.

Anyhow. It'll all work out in the end. Thanks for listening.

Comment

Rahmota, this is the second time you have taken offense to something in my posts. I will continue to say redneck, I will make fun of someone with a silly little moustache, I might even go so far as to call someone inbred. As I said, don't take it personal. Do you write hate-mail to Jeff Foxworthy also?

Tell you what, if it bothers you so much, don't read my threads.
      I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth Rahmota View Post
        Ahem. I am a redneck who happens to enjoy most forms of music from AC/DC to Zepplin and much in between including classical such as Beethoven, Mozart and Brahms. I went to bed last night listening to the Brandenburg Concerto. That guy was a jerk and an Idiot nothign more, nothing less....
        Dear heart, you need to embrace the term "redneck". Hell, Jeff Foxworthy has made a very lucrative career for himself out the stereotypical redneck!
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Rahmota View Post
          I need a car part I don't car if the people behind the coutner are wearing pink tutus listening to nursery rhymes as sung by Ozzy Osborne I'm here to get my part not worry about your musical selection.
          Ozzy is the prince of F****** darkness. He dose not do nursery rhymes!

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of classical music but I will tolerate it if I hear it.

Regardless of whether that guy was from the country or the city, he was a Grade-A ass for associating classical music with homosexuality.

Maybe next time you can Handel's "Surprise Symphony." with the volume as high as it will go.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Definitions

I am a Yankee living in the Deep South, and currently dating a nice southern man.

When my guy and I first met, he described himself as a 'redneck'. I looked at him at said he wasn't.

He responded by listing the activites and interests that put him in the category of 'redneck' (i.e. his truck, his interest in NASCAR, etc.).

I replied that he didn't have the actvie religious and/or racial bigotry that I associated with the term 'redneck'. And that what he was describing was not 'redneck' so much as 'country'.

Comment

I need a car part I don't car if the people behind the coutner are wearing pink tutus listening to nursery rhymes as sung by Ozzy Osborne I'm here to get my part not worry about your musical selection.
                I would love to see that...!

Years ago, back when we were allowed to play whatever music we wanted (within reason, of course), I had a woman complain that she was trying to read and we were playing "rock and roll!!!" What was this head bangin' mosh music we had going? Why, Simon and Garfunkel, of course.

I like classical music, I used to play it all the time to go to sleep (I don't currently have a CD player in my room, though. I might have to steal it back from my dad...). And is it bad that The Anvil Chorus immediately makes me think of Bugs Bunny and Friends?
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  And is it bad that The Anvil Chorus immediately makes me think of Bugs Bunny and Friends?
                  Actually, that one makes me think of Plucky Duck getting creamed by one anvil after another.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

top 40 (format) should go away...

Quoth freaktard View Post
                    A year or two ago, my quartet was playing at a wedding reception as guests were coming in. I remember one idiot who came in, looked at us as though we were four large, perfecly formed turds, and said "Who hired them???? Get some real music in here!"
                    Sounds like my old boss glossing over what I was listening to, mainly MPR's The Morning Show, and stating the same thing, "What is this? Play some real music!" (where real music for her was overplayed classic rock at the time...)

I also got away with playing this station at my workplace, but only because I was an assistant manager at the time. Country or AC will not do.
                    Last edited by Ree; 01-01-2008, 01:21 PM. Reason: Excessive quoting
                    HI, I'M NEW TO ALL OF THIS wave of approval ™©®

Comment

Quoth Rahmota View Post

7:maybe I'm reading too much into this.
                      Gee...do ya think.

Once more...it's not freakin' tattling to use the freakin' report button, and it doesn't have to be for major flame baiting drama, either.

If you are offended by something, report it and let a mod have a word in the person's ear, rather than get into some verbal scuffle in the freakin' forums.

Can we make it any freakin' clearer?
                      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Yeah, this guy would only have been in the store for, what, 10 minutes or so? So really, was it such a big deal what music was playing?

Now, there are some stores were the music is always played too loudly for me, and I generally won't shop there. And I'm not spoiling the party here: I read a newspaper article about a month or two ago, where they actually went around to various stores and measured the noise levels. The decibel levels exceeded "safe noise levels" in many of the stores!

But even that's no much of a problem if you're just a customer visiting for 20 minutes or whatever. What I find much more annoying is all the little shops right next to each other in the mall with all their different music that competes with the mall's own muzak!

Wow, I just realised I sound like a grandfather.... and I'm only 25!

Comment

I'm going to suggest the hold music we have in our call center be changed to your type of music. Maybe it would scare off the really awful SC's!

Comment

look for a song called come and get your love, play it 15 times back to back to your customers. I'm sure they will appriciate you a hell of a lot more playing classical.
                            I like to scare small childeren, it's fun and as long as you can out run the parents you can get away with it.

Comment

Quoth Igorina View Post
                              I replied that he didn't have the actvie religious and/or racial bigotry that I associated with the term 'redneck'. And that what he was describing was not 'redneck' so much as 'country'.
                              This is quoted as an example of what I'm about to say, not as a way of addressing my point to Igorina specificially.

I'm an Australian. Most of the people I interact with on the 'net are American (USA or Canada, primarily) or from the UK or the non-UK part of Ireland.

Words change meaning.

Biscuit in Australian means what Cookie does to USA-Americans. Cookie also means the same thing, and is less used. Bikkie is most used, actually. What people in the USA call a biscuit isn't really used here, but would probably end up being called something like 'an American scone'.

American here means either someone from the USA, or someone from the American continents - anything from Arctic Canada to Cape Horn.

The South here is a direction, and it feels silly to hear it used to mean something so far north from us.

Many Australians aren't educated enough in local distinctions to understand that 'Yankee' doesn't apply to all Americans-from-the-US, and will call anyone from the USA a 'Yankee'. Similarly, anyone from the UK is a 'Brit'. They don't mean to be offensive, they're just ignorant. And the inverse happens - many people don't know anyplace in Australia other than Sydney and Ayer's Rock. And I'm from neither - and Ayer's Rock has reverted to its Aboriginal name of Uluru.
                              (The Outback Steakhouse is hilariously wrong about a lot, btw. Also, 'chook' is pronounced to rhyme with 'hook' and means chicken.)

My point here is: people use words based on what they've seen and heard. People have beliefs based on what they've seen and heard. Someone whose primary contact with the word 'redneck' comes from popular media is going to use the word to mean the exaggerated stereotype. Someone whose primary contact with 'Australia' comes from Crocodile Dundee, Priscilla Queen of the Desert and Steve Irwin is going to have a really skewed idea of how I live.

You can't change that. You can teach individuals, but you can't teach a whole society to use words your way except by notifying the majority of society - usually through popular media.

That said: the mods are happy to point out that calling an Irish person a Brit is considered an insult, and can often do so more tactfully than someone who's just been insulted. Please report these accidents of cultural conflict, rather than sitting and stewing over them.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Isn't that the same thought with people who are Australian when people say they are British? Or someone from New Zealand being refered to as an Australian?
                                Last edited by TWOLF; 01-01-2008, 02:51 PM.
                                I like to scare small childeren, it's fun and as long as you can out run the parents you can get away with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X