This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth protege View Post
    I know what you mean. Pittsburgh has a serious problem with Lynyrd Skynyrd. I like classic rock, but if one more idiot requests "Sweet Home Alabama" I'm going to hit them
    The predominant classic rock station in Vermont seems to have a rule where they have to play one (1) AC/DC song per hour, and one (1) Pink Floyd song per hour.

And to tie it in with the corporate script thread...the DJs have this long winded ID they have to read every time they come out of a song. Scary part is, they say it so often that I've memorized it. The owners? Clear Channel. That should surprise no one.
    "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

The local rock station around here (not the classic rock, mind you) plays no less than 3 Metallica songs per hour, at least 1 Linkin Park song per hour, and at least 2 AC/DC songs per hour. If not, people whine and the whole day is ruined.

Hence why I no longer really listen to that station anymore.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Liminality View Post
        but classical? It doesn't even have any vocals.
        Except for Opera and the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's "Messiah".
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Liminality View Post
          but classical? It doesn't even have any vocals.
          Pretty much all of Handel's "Messiah" actually.

And hundreds of cantatas by Bach, hundreds of songs by Schubert, Schumann, Brahms, Beethoven's Ninth Symphony...I could go on for pages, but you get the idea.
          "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
          "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
          --Dilbert

Comment

Quoth chops View Post
            The predominant classic rock station in Vermont seems to have a rule where they have to play one (1) AC/DC song per hour, and one (1) Pink Floyd song per hour.

And to tie it in with the corporate script thread...the DJs have this long winded ID they have to read every time they come out of a song. Scary part is, they say it so often that I've memorized it. The owners? Clear Channel. That should surprise no one.
            At least the station doesn't have a "Mandatory Metallica" period where they play three Metallica songs in a row. I would stop listening to IROCK for the 7pm hour because of it. To make things worse, one of their DJs for a while couldn't say the names of a one song and one band correctly. He thought it was cool to say "My Sack of Rice" (My Sacrifice) and "Muddle of Pudd" (Puddle of Mudd). That turned me off to the station entirely. At least when I have my wife's car I can pull in 105.7 The X (Peoria) or, if I'm lucky, Xtra 99.1 out of Danville so I don't have to listen to the station (it is getting better when I do listen to it since they changed owners).

How bad is Clear Channel? We don't have any CC channels in this part of the state. Springfield has one, but it is based on the far south end to where I can't hear it very well.
            Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

Quoth daleduke17
              How bad is Clear Channel? We don't have any CC channels in this part of the state. Springfield has one, but it is based on the far south end to where I can't hear it very well.
              It varies from station to station...some of them still have local DJs (our CC classic rock station is), but there are many more that employ voice-tracking, meaning the DJ is not actually at the station, just prerecorded elsewhere and propagated to many different stations. I believe the ones most likely to be voice-tracked are any station labeling itself as "KISS" (top 40/pop), "Mix" (adult contemporary), or "STAR" (easy listening/"soft rock"). I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones I've heard in different markets that are pretty much identical no matter where you listen to them.

Comment

Used to work third shift in a gas station with hardcore punk blaring out of the boombox. Turned it to the AM radio news before the boos came on, tho.
                Last edited by Chevy Nachos; 01-03-2008, 11:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Last time I was at Target, they had a radio in the backroom that I could hear on the salesfloor. It almost made me

It brought back memories of The Day The Music Died back in 2000 or so.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth chops View Post
                    It varies from station to station...some of them still have local DJs (our CC classic rock station is), but there are many more that employ voice-tracking, meaning the DJ is not actually at the station, just prerecorded elsewhere and propagated to many different stations.
                    Then we've got eD FM here. I think all they've done is put a bunch of CDs in the player and hit "shuffle". As a matter fact, that's what it says on the website! http://www.ed.fm/index.html
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                      Then we've got eD FM here. I think all they've done is put a bunch of CDs in the player and hit "shuffle". As a matter fact, that's what it says on the website! http://www.ed.fm/index.html
                      Hey, if its good enough for my music folder on the computer...
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                        The local rock station around here (not the classic rock, mind you) plays no less than 3 Metallica songs per hour
                        Quoth daleduke17 View Post
                        At least the station doesn't have a "Mandatory Metallica" period where they play three Metallica songs in a row.
                        You guys are lucky. {pouts}

Since KRock came back from talk to rock, they play MetallicA about once a week, as best as I can tell, and 90% of that time it's "Enter Sandman".

And if anyone can PLEASE tell me how Beastie Boys and reggae can be considered rock, I'd greatly appreciate it.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                          Since KRock came back from talk to rock, they play MetallicA about once a week, as best as I can tell, and 90% of that time it's "Enter Sandman".
                          Same with our classic rock station. Often times when they say a certain artist is coming up, for example, Jethro Tull or Warren Zevon, I can tell exactly what song they're going to play; in this case "Locomotive Breath" and "Werewolves of London," respectively.
                          And if anyone can PLEASE tell me how Beastie Boys and reggae can be considered rock, I'd greatly appreciate it.
                          Reggae, yeah, that's a stretch. Beastie Boys...their early stuff, particularly from Licensed to Ill and their instrumentals, might be. But their newer stuff (say, most of Hello Nasty and all of To the 5 Boroughs)? Nope nope nope nope.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post

*OBSCURE MUSICAL TRIVIA ALERT!*

The Beastie Boys started out as a punk rock group in New York City. Their CD "Some Old Bullshit"(which I happen to have) is 80s punk rock, and IMO not all that great.

*END OBSCURE MUSICAL TRIVIA ALERT. WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED THREAD*
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              and IMO not all that great.*
                              Actually.. In THEIR opinion.. not that great.

That's why they switched to Rap.

Comment

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
                                No offense to people who wear a Carhartt jacket for work, but I've noticed that SC-ness and Carhartt jackets seem to go hand in hand.......
                                Man, I really hope it's not the jackets. I received one for Christmases from my Dad. My sister says it looks like something a farmer would use. I told her there was a reason for it. These coats are very warm.

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                                Quoth Broomjockey
                                We don't bite! Honest!
                                ::muttering to self:: Don't say it. Don't say it. Don't say it. Don't say it. Don't say it.
                                Awww, come one! You know you want to...

Personally, I've left stores that play cRap over the air with no letup. Personally I cannot stand the stuff, and would rather shop elsewhere. Any other kind of music I can pretty much tolerate.

Eric the Grey
                                In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Working...
                                X