Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen the plastic-wrapped "fresh" cobs in the grocery store before. Usually, it's right next to the corn in the husk. And I've had to deal with customers at Wal-Mart rabidly husking their corn at the corn bins before putting it in produce bags. What annoyed me most about them was the fact that they'd leave the husks lying all over the grocery department, rather than taking the time to actually throw them away.

You'd think in Boston, that lady would still have seen un-husked corn.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Lehk
      AHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

here in the upstate new york 'burbs all the corn i have ever seen for sale comes un-shucked except the nasty-ass frozen proto-corn
      Where in upstate Lehk? I live in the good ol Capital District in a small town called Brunswick and we have corn out the wazoo. In fact, I live right across the street (if u can call the barely paved tractor trail a street) from about 80 acres of corn. MMMM fresh illegally picked corn MMMM lol. Not all of us New Yorkers live in the concrete jungle that is NYC. You go a few hours north of where I live and some people don't have running water, let alone cable tv lol. Its a diverse as hell state we live in in New York.
      Running on ice is just as smart as shoving a fork in the toaster - Blas in regards to a dry pool diving team member who decided to run across a 50 mph highway following an ice storm

Comment

Yankee? My Western butt!

Quoth Tanasi
        The definition of a yankee: If you weren't born within VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, LA, TX, AR, or TN then you are a yankee. We have been know to make exceptions for somefolk that have a southern state-of-mind.
        Ahem...not quite. Do not include the whole country in your North-South border skirmish. I myself, while currently residing in Florida, am from Arizona, which makes me neither a Yankee nor a Southerner, but a Westerner. (I am from so far West, we refer to Texans as EASTERNERS! Much to their dismay, of course!) Out West, we could give two hoo hahs about the whole North South thing, couldn't care less about that Manson-Nixon line, and frankly, are more interested in who is buying the next round of margaritas!

As for corn, I have always been a suburban boy, never living in the country, and even my mallrat butt knows what unshucked corn looks like! Geez! That woman definitely needed not only lessons in food, but a a serious broomstickectomy!
        Last edited by Jester; 07-13-2006, 08:09 AM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

I agree with Jester. I'm a born and raised New Mexican from the southern part of the state. We refer to Texans as "damnTexans", one word!

I don't think where that dink of a woman was from is actually the problem. She's just an out and out idiot. But I will say that we have the most problems here with transplanted New Yorkers, but they're mostly from NYC. For the longest time there's been rumors that a lot of people that live in Rio Rancho are in witness protection because there's so many that sound like "wiseguys"!

The funniest thing I've ever heard was what the wife of a man my mom worked with said. Not long after she moved here she saw her first roadrunner....and said "That's the scrawniest chicken I've ever seen"!
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Off topic but my parents just bought a house in Rio Rancho and when they move down there they'll probably contribute to the stupid quote (Sorry!) But they'd never say anything like that.

Comment

Quoth Tanasi
              The definition of a yankee: If you weren't born within VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, LA, TX, AR, or TN then you are a yankee. We have been know to make exceptions for somefolk that have a southern state-of-mind. A damnyankee is one of the above that moves here to stay. Florida is full of damnyankees.
              I dunno- I think that one depends on your perspective- as a kid, we referred to anyone on the southern side of the 49th parallel as a Yankee! But we also find it amusing to refer to ourselves as Canucks...

And how can anyone not know what fresh corn looks like? It's one of the most widely-distributed fresh vegetables out there- we can buy it in supermarkets in Bangkok, for crying out loud- and it's certainly not native to Thailand!
              Arsenic is 'natural'. Hemlock is 'organic'.

Comment

I could understand her problems if it had been one of the more exotic fruits/vegetables out there, ie. lychee, starfruit or asian pears. But corn? Makes you wonder what kind of rock she's been living under.

In my garden I have Indian corn, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, peas, potatoes and squash. Plus a bumper crop of sticky weeds.
                Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Jester
                  Ahem...not quite. Do not include the whole country in your North-South border skirmish. I myself, while currently residing in Florida, am from Arizona, which makes me neither a Yankee nor a Southerner, but a Westerner. (I am from so far West, we refer to Texans as EASTERNERS! Much to their dismay, of course!) Out West, we could give two hoo hahs about the whole North South thing, couldn't care less about that Manson-Nixon line, and frankly, are more interested in who is buying the next round of margaritas!

As for corn, I have always been a suburban boy, never living in the country, and even my mallrat butt knows what unshucked corn looks like! Geez! That woman definitely needed not only lessons in food, but a a serious broomstickectomy!
                  Arizona was a territory of the US duing the War of Northern Aggression therefore you're a not only a yankee but a damnyankee.
                  It was far from a border skirmish but we shan't go there and it's the Mason-Dixon line which the is line dividing MD and PA.

My father used to scare my oldest daughter by equating yankees with the booger man. She was a good sized youngin before she met her first yankee. Later she said "Daddy those yankees are just like us ain't they?"

And update I've been informed that I'm not welcome at that particular farmers market again, it seems the Right Reverand thought I was rude to that DA yankee woman. I've already secured a stall at another FM and I'll have several gallons of blackberries, dew-berries, and blueberries.
                  Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth SteverinoNY!
                    Where in upstate Lehk? I live in the good ol Capital District in a small town called Brunswick and we have corn out the wazoo. In fact, I live right across the street (if u can call the barely paved tractor trail a street) from about 80 acres of corn. MMMM fresh illegally picked corn MMMM lol. Not all of us New Yorkers live in the concrete jungle that is NYC. You go a few hours north of where I live and some people don't have running water, let alone cable tv lol. Its a diverse as hell state we live in in New York.
                    Hey, Capital District! I grew up over in Cobleskill (out on I-88), and my parents currently have a good four acres planted with corn (small property compared to my Great-Grandpa, who owns a third of the county pretty much). I remember driving 15 minutes down the road to a very large farm and paying per bushel for hand-picked corn.

Mmm...now I'm getting hungry.

Quoth Tanasi
                    And update I've been informed that I'm not welcome at that particular farmers market again, it seems the Right Reverand thought I was rude to that DA yankee woman. I've already secured a stall at another FM and I'll have several gallons of blackberries, dew-berries, and blueberries.
                    Sorry to hear about that. Glad there's another market you can go to though. Wish I could be there to buy some of your produce.
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"

Comment

Quoth Pagan
                      The funniest thing I've ever heard was what the wife of a man my mom worked with said. Not long after she moved here she saw her first roadrunner....and said "That's the scrawniest chicken I've ever seen"!

My dad was waiting around for my mom and I near the ABQ train station a few years ago (when I first went out there for college), and was sitting at the outside tables at a movie theater (think it was the Century Rio). A huge roadrunner comes walking up and just stands there staring at him (not even a foot away). He thinks it got used to people feeding it popcorn or the like.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Tanasi
                        And update I've been informed that I'm not welcome at that particular farmers market again, it seems the Right Reverand thought I was rude to that DA yankee woman.
                        Well, that bites. The woman was terminally stupid, copped an attitude with you and your daughter, threw a fit and tattled to the Reverand, and YOU'RE the one who's rude?! Methinks the Right Reverand has his collar on a little too tight.

Glad you found a new place, though. Hopefully the stupid woman won't come to your stall, then pitch a fit when you tell her the snap peas aren't kumquats.
                        Last edited by XCashier; 07-13-2006, 10:33 PM.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

If she even knows what either of those things are
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

"But those aren't peas! Peas are tiny and round, and those are long! You're obviously trying to sell me cucumbers!"

Comment

Threadjack and off-topic!

Quoth Tanasi
                              Arizona was a territory of the US duing the War of Northern Aggression therefore you're a not only a yankee but a damnyankee.
                              It was far from a border skirmish but we shan't go there and it's the Mason-Dixon line which the is line dividing MD and PA.
                              Yes, but only because of the Mexican-American War. The territory was ceded with the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo 1848 with the Mexican Cession. Now, where I'm from was still part of Mexico until the Gadsden Purchase in 1853. While there were quite a few battles fought here (notably Valverde and Glorieta Pass), most of the inhabitants of the territory hadn't really accepted the fact that they were now part of the US. Heck, we're still having fights over Spanish land grants here! Ok, I'm done now. Sorry 'bout that, but if I could have fit in a few more classes, I would have had a history degree to go along with the other two.

Dreamstalker - I live near Corrales and I've gone out several times to see a roadrunner making himself comfortable on the hood of my car!

PhotoChick - As long as they don't complain about how this isn't how they do *whatever* where they come from, we're fine. I just hope that they're house is in a development that has paved streets. With the downpours a couple of weeks ago, we've got the "Rio Rancho Canyon" out there! But tell them, welcome to the state!

Threadjack over! Go on about your business. Move along, nothing to see here!
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Tanasi
                                First of all, thanks to the person who pointed out the other historical information about the Southwest at that time period. Also, the US had many territories at the time of the Civil War where the populace didn't give a hoot one way or another about the conflict, and whose modern day inhabitants still don't. (See also "Arizona.")

Quoth Tanasi
                                This was a joke, of course. I KNOW it is the Mason-Dixon line, but the Manson-Nixon line (a) sounds funnier and (b) conjures up a whole bunch of amusing images for those of us who know our history. And (c) it's a line I stole from a fellow entertainer friend of mine, who often uses it in his act.

Also used in his act, here in Florida (and this is appropriate here): "As they say in the South, that's downright neighborly. You know where the South is? Right...north of here!"

So again, not all of the US that is not part of the South is Yankee-ville. So Thhhpppbbbttt....or somethign equally juvenile and silly.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                                Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X